Author Topic: Proofreader needed  (Read 5418 times)

June 09, 2006, 06:29:28 PM
Read 5418 times

Creature

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Psychopath
    • View Profile
    • Creature's Sanctuary forum (rest of site under construction)
Yo, ppl!  It has come to my attention that The History of Magic by Eliphas Levi (A.E. Waite translation) is not available in the e-book format (if you know that it is, please let me know before I start on this!).  I want to make it availabe, so I'm gonna type it up. Scanning is out of the question because 1) I don't have a hand-held scanner, and the book is pretty thick, so the edges of the pages in the middle will look significantly distorted, and 2) scanning makes every page an image file so that the whole book will be too big of a file.  So it looks like I'm gonna type it up by hand.

Here's the problem w/ that: typos. Typos that spell checker doesn't catch: its/it's whether/weather, etc.  I need a proof-reader who is thurough and picky.  Hopefully someone who also owns a copy of the book, though it's not necessary.

Oh and I know you guys probly already have a whole team assembled for the library thing and my help is not needed (or apreciated), but I just wanted to say that if you need help at any point, let me know.  I know HTML, CSS, and a good chunk of Java, Javascript and learning PHP currently.

Edit:
Oh, yeah! If you're interested in the proofreader thing, post give me your contact info, like e-mail address or whatever.  I need as many people as agree to do it 'cause the mistakes one person doesn't catch another might.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 06:50:48 PM by Creature »
<Kanifer> America invented MTV. 
<Shadowarrior13> Kanifer, shut up.
<Shadowarrior13> We don't want them knowing that.

"If you American types don't start doing a better job of choosing presidents, we're going to have to revoke your independence..."
-- Philosopher

June 12, 2006, 01:42:52 AM
Reply #1

holycleric

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
Don't most scanners also give you the possibility to extract the text from the images, so you'd get each page as a word file or something similar ?
At least all the scanners I've used have had this property.
All mankind is of one author, and is one volume. As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee

June 12, 2006, 07:08:23 AM
Reply #2

SethLaRoth DeShawl

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I think holycleric is right about the scanner thing but if you need me I am willing to proofread it for you in conjunction with who ever else is interested.

June 12, 2006, 04:33:20 PM
Reply #3

Creature

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
A lot of them do have that, but it's very inacurate. Like it can't tell the difference between zero, upper case o and sometimes (I've seen this, actually) a pair of perentesies. Besides, mine is a flet-bed scanner, so when I come to the middle of the book the picture is going to be curved, darkened and distored at the edges, making auto text generation impossible and reading difficult and annoying.

Thank you for volonteering Qrisis!  What's your e-mail?  I think it's best if we do this a few pages at a time vs. the whole book at once.

"If you American types don't start doing a better job of choosing presidents, we're going to have to revoke your independence..."
-- Philosopher

June 13, 2006, 12:07:59 PM
Reply #4

Athiril

• Veritas Furniture

• Reverend Lucious

• View Profile
    • PhotoDan
Creature, I'll proof read it, which would be better to do every 10 pages or so that you get done (if it's a long book).

Any format will be fine, like Microsoft Word.

I also have Adobe Acrobat Professional 7, to make a proper PDF if you'd like  :cool:

June 13, 2006, 12:13:11 PM
Reply #5

Creature

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Yey! Thank you, Athiril!  You guys rule.  Now give me your contact info so I can e-mail you the files.

-- Philosopher

June 13, 2006, 12:18:50 PM
Reply #6

Athiril

• Veritas Furniture

• Reverend Lucious

• View Profile
    • PhotoDan
Don't most scanners also give you the possibility to extract the text from the images, so you'd get each page as a word file or something similar ?
At least all the scanners I've used have had this property.

Yes and even old OCR software works quite well =)

Especially from printed text, I'd use new software though... so it can keep the layout of the page perfectly with the formatted text and pics in correct places etc.

Creature: if any pics need scanning, do them at 300 dpi or 600 dpi. (pref 300 dpi for manageable file sizes).. (this is for ability to reprint at great quality including pics).

Btw detailes PM'ed

June 13, 2006, 12:27:50 PM
Reply #7

SethLaRoth DeShawl

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Well the one I have most access to is the email address at the bottom of my Signature