Author Topic: Fundamental Dynamic Psi for the Beginning Practitioner  (Read 99198 times)

July 16, 2008, 02:04:38 AM
Reply #30

XIII

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Ḥ̵̲̗̫͈̩͕̐̓͆o͔͚̣͎͚͜ř̶ͦ͒̈̐͂r͍̱ȏ͉̟̱̬̥̩ͤ̎r̮ͨ̽ͫ ̊ͭ

• View Profile
Most people are like that. Just take some time, have perseverance, and you'll fix it.
<@kobok> And if you push hard enough, you can shove quite a lot into a chicken.

<@Trowa> When someone told him to jump off a cliff, he argued the semantic meanings of "jump" and "cliff", and then proceeded to do just that.

July 31, 2008, 11:50:22 AM
Reply #31

ryo257ma

• View Profile
I just realized, I think I've already done a bit of focal meditation when I was a kid. We used to have little contests to see who could stare at an object the longest without blinking and I did it so long that everything around the object disappeared, i literally couldn't see anything other than the object. one thing though, rather than black, everything around turned white. I haven't done it in years though. I tried last night, (not a candle though) and I actually started seeing some really trippy things, like flickering in the walls, things getting glowing edges and such. So I'm trying again tonight.

August 28, 2008, 12:23:52 PM
Reply #32

ChezNips

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Teacher

• View Profile
I dont recommend binaural beat software, rather an audio file or a CD to use.  My reasoning is that I know many, including myself that get very bad headaches trying it out.  I much prefer the use of something not so forceful that combines the binaural beats with music to relax.  It can become a crutch if its used and relied upon exclusively but yes, you really should learn to meditate on your own first and then branch out from there.  For myself, I live with several other people and I often go to sleep when other people are awake and making noise so slipping on some headphones to shut out the world a bit more is bonus.

Secret Rose:  Yes meditation can help with an asthma attack but I really urge you to look into biofeedback more specifically.  Ed and Alyce Greene of the Menninger institute have written a great deal that helps a person control functions of the body such as heart rate, breathing and other functions.  Just please use it with caution as with anything else.
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

September 10, 2008, 09:16:21 PM
Reply #33

PaperMan

• View Profile
I'm completely new when it comes to matters like this, although it seems strangely familiar. Anyways, when I try Focal Meditation I begin to feel some sort of strange sensation that is similar to what was described in kobok's article, but it also comes with another sensation, or paranoia, that I'm being watched. For some reason I feel threatened and I get worried that I'm opening myself up to see/experience something I don't want to and I end up losing that focus. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Is this all just in my head? Ha, Well I guess technically that statement is true regardless. Sorry if I'm being vague but It's hard for me to find words to describe that feeling. Perhaps trying something new is just freaking me out and I need to relax. =)

June 30, 2009, 03:21:28 PM
Reply #34

Hero

• Settling In

• View Profile
whenever i practiced trataka I would stare at the candle just long enough to let its light to leave its afterimage into my eyes when closed then as the image starts to fade I tried to keep it there and reinforce it with my focus seeing how long i could keep it there.

lucid dreaming goes hand in hand with focus meditation. the mind is cleared of distraction then focused into control of the consciousness becoming lucid.

hmmm the feeling of being watched to . probably allowing subconscious fears to enter.whether its outter or inner forces causing them they have to be overcame
 even  dreams sometime involve unwanted stuctures ect. 

remember when in a focused state your senses are heightened, making even the slightist sound etc. seem more significant. this state can be a good thing as tunnel vission is bad.

If scared its best to create a stronger connection to the soul and inner calmness and warmth before proceeding. that way even if someone is arround you'll be clear headed.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 03:38:20 PM by Hero »

July 22, 2009, 04:12:18 AM
Reply #35

Roufas

• View Profile
Hello!

I have a very hard time visualizing things in my head. For example , my wife says when she closes her eyes and start imagining things , it is like entering a whole different world , full of colors.
Well , when I close my eyes , all I can see is darkness. If I try real hard sometimes I can see as if there were "grey sketches" of things I am trying to imagine. My dreams are mostly in black and white too.

I seem to be able to keep sort of focused on the candle flame but that requires me to strain my eyes ...
My question is , how am I supposed to focus my mind on the candle if I cannot really visualize it?

July 22, 2009, 12:04:25 PM
Reply #36

iiosnem

• Personal Text
    Master of Nothing
    • View Profile
Hello!

I have a very hard time visualizing things in my head. For example , my wife says when she closes her eyes and start imagining things , it is like entering a whole different world , full of colors.
Well , when I close my eyes , all I can see is darkness. If I try real hard sometimes I can see as if there were "grey sketches" of things I am trying to imagine. My dreams are mostly in black and white too.

I seem to be able to keep sort of focused on the candle flame but that requires me to strain my eyes ...
My question is , how am I supposed to focus my mind on the candle if I cannot really visualize it?

I believe that you are in the same place as me: mind weakness and lack of training.

Maybe your wife is like that naturally born big kid who steals other children's money between class. And you and I are those skinny one. But one day, we choose to try the gym and after discipline and hard work, we get strong too.

What do you think?
Hunting outer space zombies since 1987

July 22, 2009, 09:19:24 PM
Reply #37

Roufas

• View Profile
Heh , that could be it. A spiritist friend told me I could have some kind of blockage too though , so I do not really know , that is why I was asking in the hopes that someone with knowledge on this could point out :)
He was saying something like "meditating on colors was very important" , according to him each color had its own significance.

Could it be that we have other senses more attuned though? So maybe sensing the candle´s flame heat or just sensing its position or something like that?
I know that I can remember the places of things in my room in the dark , even though I do not really imagine it.I really only "see" darkness. This only seem to work with large things for me though , doing that with a small flame would be very hard if not impossible :x

July 23, 2009, 07:18:06 AM
Reply #38

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Hello!

Read a book (fantasy, sci-fi, fiction, romance, whatever). After a set of action occurs, aka an event, close your eyes and imagine what just happened. Keep doing that until you're able to visualize the events to a clarity of your liking. Try to envision every detail you can, making up what the book does not tell you, and try to fluidly visualize the action as it transpires.

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

July 24, 2009, 07:17:05 PM
Reply #39

Roufas

• View Profile
Thank you , I will try that :)

You think I should first get a grasp of visualization before I start to seriously meditate , or should I consider this simply an "extra" task?

July 25, 2009, 03:42:49 PM
Reply #40

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

January 28, 2010, 05:00:31 PM
Reply #41

darthlobo

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Padawan Learner
    • View Profile
I tried focal meditation today by focusing on a pencil I placed on the floor of my room.  At one point the pencil seemed to become apart of the carpet; does this mean I was on the right path of focal meditation, or does it simply mean I should blink more?
I choose the Twilight Path to the Dawn.

January 28, 2010, 06:43:32 PM
Reply #42

Rawiri

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Wandering Nomad

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
It doesn't really mean anything.

Don't judge whether you're on the right path by all the sensations you will no doubt get as you go on. They can show you're obviously doing something - but ultimately they'll pass away a bit too.

If you can calmly focus, if you have a slow but deep 'unfolding' happening within you and if you can sense your soul...

If your life starts to run all that bit smoother, if you think clearly and feel deeply...but maintain the reigns on those feelings - then rest assured you're on "the right path."

You can tell better by how you go about your daily life - than how you get along when meditating itself. :)

January 29, 2010, 05:37:56 AM
Reply #43

darthlobo

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Padawan Learner
    • View Profile
Thank you.  I have such a hard time mediating, that it is difficult for me to tell when I am doing it right, let alone using focal correctly.
I choose the Twilight Path to the Dawn.

May 30, 2010, 05:19:57 PM
Reply #44

Cheesewheel23

• View Profile
Is there a general recommended amount of time one should spend solely on focal meditation before moving onto the next lesson? (A week? A month?)