Author Topic: Fundamental Dynamic Psi for the Beginning Practitioner  (Read 96354 times)

December 14, 2006, 03:47:08 PM
Read 96354 times

Mobius

• Veritas Council
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Fundamental Psi Coordinator
    • View Profile
Welcome Veritasians!

This course is intended to be a short duration project designed to teach participants basic psi skills, hosted by myself, Shadowarrior13, and Remakai. It will be strongly based on kobok’s dynamic psi paradigm, and the topics to be covered include the following:

•   Meditation
•   Kinesis
•   Scanning
•   Energy Dynamics and Constructs
•   The Philosophy of Psi

Meditation, in several forms, is a fundamental skill of all psionic practices. Kinesis, scanning, and energy dynamics represent the three pillars of our arts, and for each one we will discuss just what we think they are and how one might go about working with them. The philosophy of psi is a final topic, explaining what psi seems to be and how it affects each and every one of us. Each of these area will be given a cursory survey, sufficient to begin practice and exploration in each of the major areas.

This will be a public class, open to everyone. All material will be posted here publicly. Questions can be fielded to any of the teachers, either in threads dedicated to this course, via the forums PM system, or on IRC. Students are encouraged to discuss their experiences and share their questions both on the forums and in the #vmeta channel, as well as get involved in the Veritas mentor program.

Note that this course is not intended to replace kobok’s “Way of the Psion” course. It is intended for those who are curious about psionics and did not make it during kobok’s application period, or would like to practice their skills in the meantime. kobok’s class will cover all of this material in considerably greater depth.

Lesson I: Focal Meditation

Focal meditation is a skill essential to the practice of dynamic psi. Through it, one acquires the mental skills required to operate psi purposefully. Without it, it can be extremely difficult to potently and accurately perform any psi feat.

To begin, read kobok’s article on focal meditation, available here: http://forums.vsociety.net/topic/4867.0

One of our ultimate goals through focal meditation is to achieve awareness of the soul. With time, patience, and diligent practice of focal meditation, one will find oneself aware of it eventually. If it does not come immediately, relax! This is perhaps one of the most difficult steps in all of psi, simply because one does not immediately know what to look for. The time it can take varies strongly by individual. Don’t get frustrated, keep practicing, and it will come to you eventually. Introspection is a great tool for finding the soul, and helps know the soul. After a degree of success is maintained with focal meditation, begin with focusing on your own mind, and see how deep you can delve into it. As more and more of yourself is known to you, finding and connecting with the soul will be an easier task.

The soul, the fundamental component of our identity, is the foundation of all that we do in dynamic psi. What exactly the soul seems to be will be addressed in later articles (or can be gleaned from kobok’s other articles in the psi section of Veritas, for the curious!). For now, try it take it on faith that it is there and that you have one. You can become aware of it, though what exactly finding this awareness means will be for you to discover. Look to the FAQ at the bottom of this post for frequent questions about finding the soul.

That is all for now. Practice your focal meditation, discover your soul, and prepare for the next lesson! Its going to be a fun one. :)

FAQ

Q) How can I keep my mind from wandering?
A) Meditation should not be strained. While focal meditation is the development and use of extreme focus, people get the misconception that focus requires strain. However, meditation cannot be simply left to its own devices, or the mind will wander as well. Through regular meditation, a happy medium can be found. When this is discovered, mental focus can grow significantly.

Q) Meditation is too boring.
A) The beginning stages of meditation can be a tad boring. However, once a meditative state is reached, that boredom dissipates. Power through it, and this feeling will fade, especially as one discovers the soul and moves onward on the path of psi.

Q) I just can’t get focused.
A) Meditation is difficult for beginners, and a candle is a great resource. Try some relaxation exercises, and make sure that you’re relatively calm. Stress makes meditation a good deal more difficult until one is better at it. While first learning meditation, start small. Try meditating for 5 minutes, no more than 10, and then leave. Don’t give up, but leave it for a while later. Go for a jog, read a book, take a shower, and come back.

Q) How do I know I’m meditating on the soul?
A) The soul is not physical. While it has the power to influence the physical, it doesn’t reside there. Therefore, if you’re meditating on a point on your body or physical feeling, you’re not meditating on the soul. Correct focus on the soul is often accompanied with a deep, introspective mindset, a good state of mental focus, very vivid perception, and a feeling of connection with the world, though it varies from person to person. Regular meditation helps strengthen which feeling is right and which is wrong, and you’ll attain a stronger focal point within the soul.
Deus Ex Vir

December 19, 2006, 09:29:43 PM
Reply #1

haku

• A Veritas Regular

• Greenhorn

• View Profile
Think!

December 31, 2006, 04:32:04 AM
Reply #2

aether11

• Settling In

• View Profile
Can I have a sneak-peak for the next article?  :)

December 31, 2006, 10:55:22 AM
Reply #3

Mobius

• Veritas Council
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I'm going to aim to have the next article up either today or tomorrow, depending on how easily I can get in touch with Shadow and Remakai.
Deus Ex Vir

January 04, 2007, 09:24:51 PM
Reply #4

aether11

• Settling In

• View Profile
*stares at the clock*

*glances at the calendar*

Jan, 4 2007?

January 05, 2007, 07:52:39 AM
Reply #5

Mobius

• Veritas Council
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I know, I know. Sorry, don't mean to pull a kobok on you guys, but I've been having some trouble getting in touch with Shadowarrior13, as he has a part he needs to write as well. Feel free to contact him through any venue possible and encourage him to hurry it up. ;)
Deus Ex Vir

March 08, 2007, 09:30:50 PM
Reply #6

sargon

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    Back from the dead
    • View Profile
This topic is pretty dead by now, but I'll shamelessly post that I have chosen to become a psion rather than a magi. The reasons can be summed up as "Scientific process vs. Traditional ritual"

March 15, 2007, 02:50:58 PM
Reply #7

Philosopher

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Bah.
    • View Profile
I see no reason why you can't do both. Unless it a matter of no wanting to divide you attention and time.

March 15, 2007, 06:57:26 PM
Reply #8

TakeV

• Veritas Council
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Mad Scientist

• View Profile
I see no reason why you can't do both. Unless it a matter of no wanting to divide you attention and time.

It's perfectly reasonable to do both. As you get further into them, you slowly start to realise that they are fundamentally the same.

May 13, 2007, 06:39:41 AM
Reply #9

Jesse9209

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
I'm working through IIH and i'm doing step 1 is the meditation in the beginning of focusing on one thought and emptying the mind work as a substitue for focal meditation? I'd rater keep the amount of differnt meditations down so i have more time to work on them.

May 13, 2007, 07:33:05 AM
Reply #10

Mobius

• Veritas Council
  • Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Well, focal meditation is used as part of later exercises. A substitution might be possible, but I am not familiar with IIH, so I could not say how likely that may be. I do know some people who practice both systems, so I will ask them about this. :)
Deus Ex Vir

May 13, 2007, 11:12:00 AM
Reply #11

XIII

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Ḥ̵̲̗̫͈̩͕̐̓͆o͔͚̣͎͚͜ř̶ͦ͒̈̐͂r͍̱ȏ͉̟̱̬̥̩ͤ̎r̮ͨ̽ͫ ̊ͭ

• View Profile
The meditation that Bardon explains is what is known as 'void' meditation. It consists of emptying all of the thoughts in the mind by sheer force of will, and floating in the abyss. Focal meditation, however, is the complete and utter focus of all aspects of the mind on one thing. They are different, and used for different purposes. Void meditation helps mental control, but should not be substituted for focal meditation.
<@kobok> And if you push hard enough, you can shove quite a lot into a chicken.

<@Trowa> When someone told him to jump off a cliff, he argued the semantic meanings of "jump" and "cliff", and then proceeded to do just that.

May 15, 2007, 09:30:36 PM
Reply #12

zeon

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    feast upon atlantis and see the dirt we stand on
    • View Profile
what if u practice chi,psi,and the science of "magic"
The two greatest flaws of humanity..

1. humans have a tendency to always take the hard way.

2.we always ask the wrong questions.

May 19, 2007, 04:56:43 PM
Reply #13

XIII

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Ḥ̵̲̗̫͈̩͕̐̓͆o͔͚̣͎͚͜ř̶ͦ͒̈̐͂r͍̱ȏ͉̟̱̬̥̩ͤ̎r̮ͨ̽ͫ ̊ͭ

• View Profile
What if?
You'll find that the systems do not conflict.
<@kobok> And if you push hard enough, you can shove quite a lot into a chicken.

<@Trowa> When someone told him to jump off a cliff, he argued the semantic meanings of "jump" and "cliff", and then proceeded to do just that.

May 20, 2007, 12:06:08 PM
Reply #14

zeon

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    feast upon atlantis and see the dirt we stand on
    • View Profile
The two greatest flaws of humanity..

1. humans have a tendency to always take the hard way.

2.we always ask the wrong questions.