Author Topic: Generation x y  (Read 5574 times)

September 27, 2006, 08:20:19 PM
Read 5574 times

Saveyourlife

• View Profile
Just had to ask since I do hear this often.
I've been told that this generation will change the world b/c this generation used third eye to view the world.
Plus maybe many of us are discovering their ability comparing to the older generation.

So tell me, what do you think of it?

September 27, 2006, 09:51:24 PM
Reply #1

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
no :)

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

September 28, 2006, 11:34:35 AM
Reply #2

TakeV

• Veritas Council
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Mad Scientist

• View Profile
All chances of successful positive changing of the world were shot down the minute of the creation of the movement know as the "Self-esteem" movement.

September 28, 2006, 12:07:46 PM
Reply #3

Sekhmet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Warrior...Not Princess... Klutz...
    • View Profile
Are you sure about that TakeV? How did the self-esteem movement do this to the world? Aside from screwing up my ability/need to get angry when the situation calls for it? Is that what is necessary for changing the world? Righteous anger such as my namesake, Sekhmet was capable of in the world of the Ancient Egyptian myth?
Boo-ya!

September 28, 2006, 03:24:24 PM
Reply #4

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
The self esteem movement is the ideology that you NEVER tell someone they're wrong or they did something incorrectly or that their views are stupid. You ALWAYS act towards others such that blame is never placed on them, even if they are at fault. And other things besides.

The idea is to make people feel better about themselves by not making them feel bad about themselves. This is ridiculous in a realistic world. Try telling a homicidal maniac that he's not really at fault for killing all those people, and see if he stops. He won't. He'll continue while continually blaming things around him for his behaviour, continually telling himself that he's not at fault nor even responsible. And noone can tell him he's hurting others "because that would hurt his feelings".

Homicidal maniacs too extreme? All right, how about that kid in the back of the class who just can't understand the mathematics the teacher is teaching. Tell him it's not his fault, he'll believe you and blame the teacher or the mathematics itself. He'll say the class should be easier, or the teacher should teach the kid the way the kid wants to learn (which eventually leads to the concept of the kid expecting the teacher to tell the kid what the kid wants to hear, rather than the truth).

I've seen this second one first-hand many times. I've experienced this first hand with a couple of people, the older woman subscribing to this self-esteem theory and telling the girl she's perfect just the way she is and she's doesn't have a problem because, in high school, she can't do long division (ie, by hand, without a calculator). I tutored her for a few days, showed her how to do long division, which she fessed up that she'd already learned but that she just wasn't any good at, and at first she did the questions I gave her slowly, trying to figure it all out with me helping her. After she got the rule-set down for how to treat each number in relation to the others, she began progressing faster though still only at the speed of a grade six student. I told her and the older woman that the girl did have a problem: she wasn't willing to learn (because she kept trying to skip out on the questions or ask me to do them for her) and that she could do it if she only spent more time practicing (which is true of anything. If you want to be able to do anything good, you have to spend a lot of time practicing to get it stuck in your mind, body, and soul). The problem was with her, but the older lady didn't want to tell the girl that because that "might make her feel like she's not perfect".

The philosophy completely ignores the fact that people AREN'T perfect naturally, and that if people want to learn things or get better at anything they have to acknowledge that it's THEIR problem to solve, not the world's responsibility to rearrange itself to give each person an easy life just because each person is supposedly "perfect".

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

September 28, 2006, 08:30:12 PM
Reply #5

Darkflame

• Posts By Osmosis

• Frequent poster

• View Profile
Totally relevant:
http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/misery.html

I love that guy's rants.

September 28, 2006, 09:00:07 PM
Reply #6

Sekhmet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
The self esteem movement is the ideology that you NEVER tell someone they're wrong or they did something incorrectly or that their views are stupid. You ALWAYS act towards others such that blame is never placed on them, even if they are at fault. And other things besides.

The idea is to make people feel better about themselves by not making them feel bad about themselves. This is ridiculous in a realistic world. Try telling a homicidal maniac that he's not really at fault for killing all those people, and see if he stops. He won't. He'll continue while continually blaming things around him for his behaviour, continually telling himself that he's not at fault nor even responsible. And noone can tell him he's hurting others "because that would hurt his feelings".

Homicidal maniacs too extreme? The philosophy completely ignores the fact that people AREN'T perfect naturally, and that if people want to learn things or get better at anything they have to acknowledge that it's THEIR problem to solve, not the world's responsibility to rearrange itself to give each person an easy life just because each person is supposedly "perfect".

~kakkarot

I totally get where you're coming from kakkarot, part of the self-esteem thing though is to make sure (at least from a spiritualist perspective since we're big on personal responsibility), that people's self-esteem is enhanced through learning that aspect of personal responsibility towards life's events. Not everybody is perfect. We look at people and think this but that simply isn't true.
Boo-ya!

September 28, 2006, 09:37:20 PM
Reply #7

Rafnul!

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• he-who-posts-lots

• View Profile
Yeah, dude, we'll change the world, no doubt.  Probably not for that reason though.

September 28, 2006, 09:41:15 PM
Reply #8

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
Yeah, it'll be more cause of the nukes and childishness :D and by "changing the world" we really mean "changing the landscape" ;)

(kidding :P it'll be due to perspectives of how to deal with life and people)

~kakkarot

September 28, 2006, 09:42:22 PM
Reply #9

Forg

• Posts By Osmosis

• The V' Smithy

• View Profile
Every generation brings new change, but to identify it if will be good or bad is trying to narrow down something very spread out to a best fit line that hardly tells us anything. I haven't seen any apperent increase in people who practice things in relation to the occult, but even if their were, there are a good many factors of it that will do more harm than anything. I think this generation and those to come will change accordingly to their surroundings.
Be your own light, your own refuge. Believe only that which you test for yourself. Do not accept authority merely because it comes from a great man, or is written in a sacred book, for truth is different for each man and woman." -- Buddha

September 29, 2006, 06:00:39 AM
Reply #10

Silver_Archer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Prophet of Doom

• View Profile
Indeed, each generation will bring in something new, and pre determinately identifying it as something good or bad is indeed highly speculative. The question is, should we as occultists see this situation and react/be influenced by this state of affairs in the same way?

Ultimately, most of us cannot truly see past the limitations of our own time. We define good and bad based on what is happening right now and what has come to be. Things we consider progressive and good today might be considered repressive and bad, say, three hundred years down the line. What works today might be considered inefficient tomorrow. Ideas about what 'functionality' is will differ with time. Should an occultist concern himself or herself with such an ever changing version of social norms, rights and wrongs? As a group of people who try to achieve things well beyond the realms of the mundane, can the lens we view this world through be anything but one equally in rejection of the mundane?

Most people cannot truly see past the limitations of their own time.

Can we be excused to share the same limitation?
<Forg> Everything is adjustable when you have a saw.

September 29, 2006, 06:22:46 AM
Reply #11

Forg

• Posts By Osmosis

• The V' Smithy

• View Profile
I don't think it's anyone's perogative to necessarily move beyond such limitations, occultist or not. Just because we practice such things that are, as you said, 'beyond the mundane' does not mean that one is capable of moving beyond the limitations of the current world or even past, for example, the thick layers of newage bullshit.

Personally, I chose to live outside this world which, I suppose, sets me apart as you suggest. But what good that does me is debatable, though this is how I chose to be.
Be your own light, your own refuge. Believe only that which you test for yourself. Do not accept authority merely because it comes from a great man, or is written in a sacred book, for truth is different for each man and woman." -- Buddha

September 29, 2006, 12:29:44 PM
Reply #12

Sekhmet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Yeah, but life is about the mundane however you may set yourself apart from that. The third-eye is meant to be used to see beyond the ordinary, to grasp the extraordinary. We all have an ability to see something or sense something that is far beyond what regular man sees, for those of us who are psychic or empathic. For many of us, our third-eye is wide open to the extent that we know more than regular people but we're forced to behave like regular people because you can't walk around with the woo-woo going on all the time telling people what you sense. Whether or not you choose to use your gifts in service (myself as a spiritualist), is up to you.
Boo-ya!

September 29, 2006, 11:53:54 PM
Reply #13

Daska_123

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    I think I'm beginning to understand...
    • View Profile
Okay my thoughts: Well obviously we're going to change the world. But is it going to be because of our 3rd eye? No probably not. To many people would come out of thier houses and call us insane and put us in solitary confinement where we shall use our uber 1337 psi skillz to break out and affect the world  :biggrin:
No. On the other side though we will change the world but as I said I don't beleive it'll be because of the 3rd eye. I think we'll just change it. I mean the 3rd is there but how many people are actully going to come up and change the world based on it? Maybe a few maybe a lot but I think none.
So should we pay attention to the world and use our 3rd eye to affect it or leave it be and go on with our lives?
Singer. Writer. Adventurist.

October 24, 2006, 07:55:47 PM
Reply #14

Mister_Willow

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
to the original topic starters point. This new generation youre speaking of is what is referred to as the indigo children. Basically anyone under 20 right now has a chance of fitting into this category. These children are meant to be much more sensitive to subtle energies and as such are able to gain knowledge much faster due to the current energy flow of the earth and its place in the universe. There are also rainbow and crystal children emerging....about now under the ages of 12, who are even more sensitive.

Basically it flows like this: Carbon--->Chemical---->Electrical--->Light

As a race we have been through Carbon (ie. this is my body this is a chair because i can feel it) the main science of this is physics
We are presently in Chemical (ie. this is caused by hormones secreted by such and such) the main science is chemistry
We are close to moving into Electrical (ie. this is caused by the bio-electical field being affected here) the main science of this is quantum physics
Eventually we will move into Light for which there isnt an example nor a science because we arent advanced enough as a race to even concieve it yet.

The question is a little vague due to the fact that it can be said that every generation changes the world. But in reference to this third eye movement you would be thinking about the Indigo children
"Show me one point on the universe, and i shall move the earth" - Archimedes