Author Topic: Admin team  (Read 7316 times)

July 29, 2006, 01:31:34 PM
Read 7316 times

psi_vamp

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    ThE pRoUd FoUnDeR oF...... MEH!
    • View Profile
I would like to become a member of the admin team. Im addicted to this site, and have pleanty of knowlage into the unknown. If my text is wierd im sorry im on my mobile. I have already given important advice out
~terra
----------------------------------------------------------------
have you done your homework?.. MEH!
have you made your bed?.. MEH!
have you a reason for anything?... MEH!
MEH! MEH! MEH! MEH! MEH!
LET THE LEGACY OF MEH BEGINNNNN! MEH MEH MEH MEH

July 29, 2006, 03:18:32 PM
Reply #1

Prophecy

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Theurgist

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
I takes a great deal of time to become a member of the Veritas Staff.  Keep up a regular presence on the site, help others by answering questions or pointing them in the right direction, and be sure to have helpful and on-topic posts.  If after around a year we see this kind of constant activity then The Council will decide to have an interview with the member to see if he/she is fit for the position as a Moderator.  In extremely rare circumstances someone may be interviewed for the position of Teacher, but this is a highly valued and guarded position at Veritas, as these people represent the pool of knowledge here.  The Council, which is the highest on the ladder of staff positions, is relatively static: only three people are allowed the position at any one time, and only when one leaves or is voted out is another member chosen.

Keep on being a productive member and you will likely be considered for some sort of staff position eventually.

July 30, 2006, 06:46:09 AM
Reply #2

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
I came here August 2003 I think it was. I was made a moderator a few months ago.
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

July 30, 2006, 07:50:10 AM
Reply #3

TheThing

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
The more informative you are the shorter length of time it takes. So start writing.
TheThings's Flatmate.

August 03, 2006, 03:37:33 PM
Reply #4

Rafnul!

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• he-who-posts-lots

• View Profile
Yeah, I was made a mod after like 3 months, and then I quit of my own free will... it's just a question of whether or not you are needed, really.

August 04, 2006, 03:38:59 AM
Reply #5

TheThing

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
We don't actually need anymore admins.............
Honestly if we have to many it will be really over moderated and hard to talk. [cause everyone will want to do something]
TheThings's Flatmate.

August 07, 2006, 08:09:37 PM
Reply #6

Creature

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Psychopath
    • View Profile
    • Creature's Sanctuary forum (rest of site under construction)
Have you ever bin a mod, psi_vamp?  Unless you really like the idea of "power", it's a thankless, tedious job that you don't even gat paid for.
<Kanifer> America invented MTV. 
<Shadowarrior13> Kanifer, shut up.
<Shadowarrior13> We don't want them knowing that.

"If you American types don't start doing a better job of choosing presidents, we're going to have to revoke your independence..."
-- Philosopher

August 08, 2006, 02:51:20 AM
Reply #7

TheThing

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Have you ever bin a mod, psi_vamp?  Unless you really like the idea of "power", it's a thankless, tedious job that you don't even gat paid for.
You do realise that one of thebiggest human urges is apprecation and lots of people want power. Although it's a silly sort of power................
TheThings's Flatmate.

August 08, 2006, 06:17:38 AM
Reply #8

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Creature: You seem to be under the delusion that everyone desires such a position because they desire power, it could simply be, as in the case of myself, that we want to maintain a forum that we love, and we are willing to put in the effort and take the responsibility for helping to that end. Not everything can be reduced to human-egotism (hence genetic altruism in microscopic organisms).

August 08, 2006, 10:56:38 AM
Reply #9

Creature

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Faijie, sweetheart, why do you take every single stated opinion as a personal attack?  You seem to be under delusion that I said that there is no good reason to take the job other then want of power. I think you should read what's actually written, instead of what you want to hear so that you can start an argument about it. Yes, you can take the job because you want the community to be productive and inoffensive, but unless you like power (ie: telling people what to do, what not to do, punishing them if they don't listen to you, etc), the job would most lieky seem tideous and dipressing.

Before I ever came to Veritas I was a super mod (as in mod for all forums, rather then just one or two) of another community.  I totally hated it.  For one, I had to read not just the posts I wanted to read, but others too, to make sure everyone was behaving themselves.  Second, I did not enjoy having to warn people to stop flaming others.  It made me sad that I had to tell them that in the first place.  And having to get on people's case for stupid little crap like double posting, that's just gross.  Thankfully, I didn't have to ban anyone, because when I asked someone not to do something, I did it in a very polite and respectful manner.  But still I ain't never gonna do anything like that again.  And I've turned down several mod position offers afterword.  I don't even mod my own forums (not that there's a great need to, but still). I do administrative crap that I do enjoy doing: organising stuff into different forums, fixing stuff that's broke, installing cool new features, etc.

So, yeah, the point of my previous post, psi_vamp, is that you should be careful what you wish for.  Before you ask for/take any job you should really consider what it entails and whether or not you think you will enjoy that.  It really depends on your personality, like any other job.  You wanna be policeman so that you can solve hard murder cases like them cool detectives on TV, but you may end up issuing speeding tickets and arresting drunks or druggies for the rest of your career.

Creature: You seem to be under the delusion that everyone desires such a position because they desire power, it could simply be, as in the case of myself, that we want to maintain a forum that we love, and we are willing to put in the effort and take the responsibility for helping to that end. Not everything can be reduced to human-egotism (hence genetic altruism in microscopic organisms).

"If you American types don't start doing a better job of choosing presidents, we're going to have to revoke your independence..."
-- Philosopher

August 08, 2006, 11:34:08 AM
Reply #10

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Yes, you can take the job because you want the community to be productive and inoffensive, but unless you like power (ie: telling people what to do, what not to do, punishing them if they don't listen to you, etc), the job would most lieky seem tideous and dipressing.

Or, alternatively, you could primarily act due to a sense of purpose or interest in the arts, under which condition you would have very little interest in power, and the job would then seem fulfilling, rather than tedious.  People who see it this way usually do the best job over the longest time period.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

August 08, 2006, 12:43:37 PM
Reply #11

Creature

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Or, alternatively, you could primarily act due to a sense of purpose or interest in the arts

Arts?  How are metaphysical arts related to moding?

Just curious :)

-- Philosopher

August 08, 2006, 12:56:36 PM
Reply #12

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Quote from: Creature
but unless you like power (ie: telling people what to do, what not to do, punishing them if they don't listen to you, etc), the job would most lieky seem tideous and dipressing.
I have no desire to do such things. Are you saying that I must be lying? Of course, this is all Freudian... Yeesh. I accept it as a part of the grunt work that may come from such a position. Like you yourself pointed out, that doesn't mean I inherently like it. My desire for becoming a mod was as I said, to maintain a place that I love, not to satisfy a desire for power that I don't even have.

Quote from: kobok
you could primarily act due to a sense of purpose or interest in the arts
Precisely. I don't moderate the Magic forum because frankly, I don't have enough knowledge to know what is appropriate and what isn't. I could perceive something as being a stupid question, but it might actually be entirely relevant. Since there are other mods, I'll let them handle that forum and stick to areas that I know better, like BEA. Though I suspect kobok was getting at something similar to my point about modding for the love of the forums and what they teach, over what I just said.

But I'm not getting into a debate about it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 01:05:35 PM by Faijer »

August 08, 2006, 07:25:40 PM
Reply #13

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
"Arts?  How are metaphysical arts related to moding?"

A short list: Discipline. Control. Desire to develop into something better. Work and effort. Spiritual benefits (ie, no cash, no car, no food, etc). Learning more about yourself as you do things that affect others.

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

August 10, 2006, 10:04:59 AM
Reply #14

psi_vamp

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    ThE pRoUd FoUnDeR oF...... MEH!
    • View Profile
Omg. I think you just put me into depresion, creature. But thanks for the advice. I jus wanted to help people, but now i dont want to be an admin.
~terra
----------------------------------------------------------------
have you done your homework?.. MEH!
have you made your bed?.. MEH!
have you a reason for anything?... MEH!
MEH! MEH! MEH! MEH! MEH!
LET THE LEGACY OF MEH BEGINNNNN! MEH MEH MEH MEH