Author Topic: Ganzfeld Meditation Applet  (Read 38248 times)

August 10, 2006, 01:51:17 PM
Reply #15

YoYo

• View Profile
    • Xtreme Trix Tutorials
I like the idea of something there to help you with meditation and all but...

Well, to be honest, it just dosen't seem that useful for ME atleast, as a meditation aid. Infact, I'd go as far to say that it makes meditation a lot more difficult, as this seems to only serve as a distraction when trying to clear one's mind of 'stray' thoughts. I don't know about everyone else, hey, it may work for you. But frankly? For me, this just seems like a simple, cliche "hypno-wheel", like something out of a cartoon and a somewhat annoying sound effect. Perhaps it works better for others that it does for me, but it dosen't seem to be a very practical meditation tool to me. But then again, perhaps the form meditation I've learned and used in magick are a bit different than those used in Psi, thus the problem.

When you learn how to meditate you have to learn how to clear your mind a not let it become distracted to outside disturbances. It's all about how much energy you put towards meditation. If you are becoming distracted, it's because you are places more of your energy on the disturbances rather than using the energy to clear your mind. That's why meditation is so difficult at first.

January 25, 2008, 07:28:06 PM
Reply #16

PhoenixJCC

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
I tried using this applet today instead of doing normal focal meditation. I was pretty happy with the results. A light trance that normally takes minutes to fall into came over me within seconds. The other notable factor was that everything else aside from the dot kept blacking out as though I was trying to slip into a deeper meditative state. I normally experience this sensation two or three times when doing normal focal meditation and then fall right back out of it. However, with the applet, I was able to fall into this brief state at least twenty times.

March 04, 2008, 02:25:23 AM
Reply #17

MumtazG38

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    - Thou shallt google thine self -
    • View Profile
What is up with the clicking sound in my headphones after using the applet???
Sir Robert:I'm sorry,Mum. It's all my fault.I should've sent you away.I tried to suggest something was wrong.I thought you might notice.Did you think there was nothing strange about my household staff?
The Doctor:Well,they were bald, athletic...your wife's away,I just thought you were happy

May 21, 2008, 01:43:11 AM
Reply #18

Jerubbaal

• View Profile
very helpful, especially since I ran outta candles =/

Thanks a lot =)
\\\"Undefiled wisdom over hypocritical self-deceit\\\"
-Anton Szandor Lavey

June 07, 2008, 02:09:39 PM
Reply #19

helikos

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    beginning practice
    • View Profile
this works great, you can also pause it by clicking on it.

kobok: could you please make this available so that it can be run without needing to be connected to the internet? My connection is down very often so this would be very helpful (maybe as a .jar file?).
Per Ardua Ad Astra
"Through travail to the stars"

"One must find out for oneself, and make sure beyond doubt, 'who' one is, 'what' one is, 'why' one is."
- Aleister Crowley, Magick in Theory and Practice

June 08, 2008, 12:29:58 PM
Reply #20

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
kobok: could you please make this available so that it can be run without needing to be connected to the internet? My connection is down very often so this would be very helpful (maybe as a .jar file?).

You can download it here:

http://vsociety.net/ganz/ganzfeld.zip

You can then use it offline by opening the html file in there with a web browser.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

July 16, 2008, 05:19:45 PM
Reply #21

sentient

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
c++ > java

Stupid byte code...

Actually, java is quite fast compared to C++. Java code is compiled for a Virtual Machine, which is sort of like a "fake" computer in a real computer. I won't go into the specifics, but here's some further reading for those who want to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Java_and_C%2B%2B

July 18, 2008, 04:31:50 PM
Reply #22

helikos

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    beginning practice
    • View Profile
Thanks kobok for the file. After I close the window of the program though, I get a weird clicking sound that repeats itself (like a broken, disjointed version of the binaural beat). How do I fix or get rid of this?
Per Ardua Ad Astra
"Through travail to the stars"

"One must find out for oneself, and make sure beyond doubt, 'who' one is, 'what' one is, 'why' one is."
- Aleister Crowley, Magick in Theory and Practice

July 19, 2008, 02:34:52 PM
Reply #23

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Thanks kobok for the file. After I close the window of the program though, I get a weird clicking sound that repeats itself (like a broken, disjointed version of the binaural beat). How do I fix or get rid of this?

The applet, according to the code, shuts down all of its threads when the window is closed (i.e., the destroy() function is called).  If it does not do this for you, perhaps try upgrading your installation of java.

February 13, 2009, 09:09:56 PM
Reply #24

Darkrain

• A Veritas Regular

• Greenhorn

• View Profile
can you tell me what waves are used?
THE HOMEWORK NEVER ENDS-It's a rolling dream, What I'd like to go after
Even if tomorrow turns pale I shall get it and show you
It's a rolling dream, What I'd like to go after
If you stop it will get away, It's a matter of not losing heart

It's a rolling dream........
 Believe

February 14, 2009, 12:24:11 AM
Reply #25

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
can you tell me what waves are used?

If you're referring to the sound, the generation of the sound is described in the last paragraph of the first post in this thread, where it says "Edit Sept. 28, 2008".