Author Topic: Ganzfeld Meditation Applet  (Read 35459 times)

April 11, 2006, 03:43:59 AM
Read 35459 times

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Ganzfeld Meditation Applet

The ganzfeld (German for "whole field") experiments are a series of parapsychology experiments in which participants are placed in a state of visual and auditory sensory deprivation so that superior psi results can be achieved.  In the spirit of the ganzfeld experiments, I introduce the Ganzfeld Meditation Applet.

Rather than the traditional ganzfeld approach of flooding the eyes with red light, and the ears with white noise, this applet is designed to use your vision and hearing to draw you into a meditative state.  It displays an image which draws you mentally forward, while simultaneously producing a binaural beat combined with white noise to induce a meditative state and reduce the effects of distraction.  For more detail on meditation and its role in psi, please read the Focal Meditation article.

To obtain the full benefit of the binaural beat, I recommend that you use this applet with headphones.  If you want to link to this applet, please link to this page so that people can read the description of the applet.

If the applet does not load for you, it is likely that you need to download and install a new version of Java, which you can obtain from this link.

The Ganzfeld Meditation Applet.  Sit comfortably, relax, stare at the center, and allow your mind to reach a focused state.

Update April 20, 2006 - Added progressive relaxation.

( Edit Sept. 28, 2008 - In the interest of sharing information, for those who are mathematically inclined I will describe the way the sound is generated.  This paragraph is only for those curious or who are attempting to replicate the sound.  Initially, the left channel contains a 99 Hz signal plus a 201 Hz signal, while the right channel contains a 101 Hz signal plus a 199 Hz signal.  This produces two 2 Hz beat frequencies, one left-going and one right-going (for balance).  The progressive relaxation is obtained by decreasing the two beat frequencies linearly over a 170 second time period down to 0.3 Hz.  This is then combined with a white noise signal produced by a random signed perturbation of a signal damped by a 0.98 factor 192,000 times per second.  For the second stage of the progressive relaxation, over an additional 120 second time period, the volume of the white noise increases by 33%, while the volume of the beat frequencies decreases by 50%.  This sound formula was obtained by consideration of the cognitive effects, trial and error, and user feedback. )

Update Aug. 12, 2010 - The left-going and right-going binaural beats are now 180 degrees out of phase for an internal oscillatory effect.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:54:17 PM by kobok »
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

April 11, 2006, 01:49:45 PM
Reply #1

Vox Nocti

• Veritas Furniture

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
Wow it's so shiny! It works nicely I must say, the only problem I have here is that when I shut down the applet window, my boxes keep humming, but on a different frequency as the sound heard when the applet is running (I'm guessing it's the sound for which I've lost the name:S)

~Vox
"I'd like to apologize in advance for anything that I may say or do that could be construed as offensive as I slowly go NUTS." (Col. Jack 'O Neill, Stargate sg-1)

Ashrak: "And you are considered...well, a pain in the nikta"
'O Neill: "Neck?"
Teal'c: "No."

April 11, 2006, 05:31:43 PM
Reply #2

TakeV

• Veritas Council
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Mad Scientist

• View Profile
It's so blue, and hummy! It draws me right it, it's great.

Though, is it suppost to move like 1 fps?

April 11, 2006, 07:05:19 PM
Reply #3

Zankuro

• Veritas Furniture

• Trasholin Can Fu Master

• Personal Text
    "DD APPR0VED! A-OKAYH"
    • View Profile
Goes fairly slow for me, too; I think it's intended.

Don't think I've ever seen the swirly-cliche-hypnosis-wheel-thing and the buzzing noise in one package, though. Nice little thing to try.
If your heart is large enough to envelop your adversaries, you can see right through them and avoid their attacks. And once you envelop them, you will be able to guide them along the path indicated to you by heaven and earth.
~Morihei Ueshiba

April 11, 2006, 07:21:00 PM
Reply #4

no_one_2000

• A Veritas Regular

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Veritas' Favorite Lurker
    • View Profile
So the audio in this applet is composed of binaural beats?  If that is the case, I assume I will not be achieving the best results from its usage, as the wire to my left earpiece in my headphones is inexplicably loose.  However, I still tested the applet for a short time, and I think it's great!  The blue spiral is very captivating, and the humming sound--even though I'm only hearing half of it--is rather peaceful.  Moreover, this is convenient because it's an Applet (it's compatible with just about everything imaginable) and even more generally, because it's oriented for the computer.

TakeV:  I wondered the same thing, but after staring at it for a while, I think I may understand why.  The slow and subtle movement of the spiral seemed to add to its withdrawing effect, in such a way that the motion wasn't the focus of attention, but it could still cause that imagined feeling of moving towards the monitor.  Also, it would seem to me that the more active the image is, the less it would promote a slowed, altered state of mind.  The "mood" of the applet is peaceful, and the slow-moving rate fits this well.  Also, if you look at it carefully, you can see that the frame rate is actually pretty high; it's just that the spiral just isn't rotating very quickly.  Then again, that could just be your computer's processing speed affecting the frame rate.  (Besides, Java's just a slow language in general, because it's run through an interpreter of sorts.)

April 11, 2006, 08:01:11 PM
Reply #5

TakeV

• Veritas Council
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Mad Scientist

• View Profile
c++ > java

Stupid byte code...

April 11, 2006, 09:41:13 PM
Reply #6

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Though, is it suppost to move like 1 fps?

It actually tries to keep itself at a steady 16 fps, and the pattern should repeat in around 3-4 seconds.  I just updated the routine keeping its framerate constant to make it smoother on more systems.  If it is not doing this for you, and ends up with jerky movement, then this probably means you are either doing something else which is occupying all of your computer's time, or you have an older version of java which is rendering graphics more slowly.  Sun significantly improved the graphics routines with release 1.5, so you should upgrade at the link above if you are having this problem.

April 14, 2006, 09:59:06 AM
Reply #7

DownRodeo

• Veritas Furniture

• DD-APPR0VED! A-OKAYH!!

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
    • BudoTaijutsu.co.uk-Koshin Dojo Malmesbury
I like it, well done.
"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part, you can't even passively take part, and you've got to put your bodies on the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers... and you've got to make it stop!"
Mario Savio

April 21, 2006, 08:38:26 AM
Reply #8

Falcon

• Posts By Osmosis

• Vretsa Dcitoinray

• Personal Text
    Veritas Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
I sat down for a couple of minutes looking at it, it was good, but I had my rather annoying vrother in the room at the time listening to the tv, and he's sligthly deaf so I also had another distrction, I'll try it under a more controlled enviroment tonight..
Finding some things difficult and need a extra hand, Apply for a mentor that's what were here for http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=9706.0

April 26, 2006, 10:50:50 PM
Reply #9

Perfect Chaos Zero

• Settling In

• Robo-Librarian

• View Profile
I like the idea of something there to help you with meditation and all but...

Well, to be honest, it just dosen't seem that useful for ME atleast, as a meditation aid. Infact, I'd go as far to say that it makes meditation a lot more difficult, as this seems to only serve as a distraction when trying to clear one's mind of 'stray' thoughts. I don't know about everyone else, hey, it may work for you. But frankly? For me, this just seems like a simple, cliche "hypno-wheel", like something out of a cartoon and a somewhat annoying sound effect. Perhaps it works better for others that it does for me, but it dosen't seem to be a very practical meditation tool to me. But then again, perhaps the form meditation I've learned and used in magick are a bit different than those used in Psi, thus the problem.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 10:55:12 PM by Perfect Chaos Zero »

April 30, 2006, 11:42:26 AM
Reply #10

SethLaRoth DeShawl

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I like the idea of something there to help you with meditation and all but...

Well, to be honest, it just dosen't seem that useful for ME atleast, as a meditation aid. Infact, I'd go as far to say that it makes meditation a lot more difficult, as this seems to only serve as a distraction when trying to clear one's mind of 'stray' thoughts. I don't know about everyone else, hey, it may work for you. But frankly? For me, this just seems like a simple, cliche "hypno-wheel", like something out of a cartoon and a somewhat annoying sound effect. Perhaps it works better for others that it does for me, but it dosen't seem to be a very practical meditation tool to me. But then again, perhaps the form meditation I've learned and used in magick are a bit different than those used in Psi, thus the problem.
but it shouldn't matter if there is a background noise or not. when i decide to meditate nothing but silence fills my ears no matter what the sound is around me. i simply don't hear anything other than what is myself. so it really shouldn't matter at all, unless, of course you are the type of person who is easily distracted by such things, although I do admit that it does help me to reach that state.

June 16, 2006, 05:26:48 PM
Reply #11

exit

• Settling In

• View Profile
the pixilated moving lines were very distracting, and doesnt blue put alot of strain on your eyes? shouldnt it be red or black? anyways everytime i got into it those damned lines would pull me away and if you dont get really into it right away youll just end up with a headache, or atleaste i will
"I wonder what pleasure men can take in making beasts of themselves." "I wonder, Madam," replied the Doctor, "that you have not penetration to see the strong inducement to this excess; for he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."

June 16, 2006, 07:09:57 PM
Reply #12

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
the pixilated moving lines were very distracting, and doesnt blue put alot of strain on your eyes? shouldnt it be red or black? anyways everytime i got into it those damned lines would pull me away and if you dont get really into it right away youll just end up with a headache, or atleaste i will

Can you clarify what you mean by "pixelated moving lines"?  It does not appear very pixelated to me.

As for red and black, the first version was in fact red and black.  The beta testers nearly unanimously reported that the contrast was too sharp with red and black, and that this was distracting, so a more calming set of blues with lower contrast were chosen which met with higher approval.

June 17, 2006, 12:40:31 AM
Reply #13

exit

• Settling In

• View Profile
ive found it helpful to first close my eyes to allow no visual sensory input, and when i start to feel the sensation of a near translike meditation session i open my eyes and concentrate on the center, before i did that i was not focused enough and as the lines became bigger ,on my moniter they appeared slightly jagged and that was very distracting, but the main thing is that this helps me to achieve the level of concentration of deep meditation much more quickly,well anyways i would personally prefer red as it puts less strain on my eyes but i am stll very appreciative of what has been provided, and although it may not be personally optimal it is still very effective
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 12:43:48 AM by exit »
"I wonder what pleasure men can take in making beasts of themselves." "I wonder, Madam," replied the Doctor, "that you have not penetration to see the strong inducement to this excess; for he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."

June 21, 2006, 01:24:29 PM
Reply #14

Rafnul!

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• he-who-posts-lots

• View Profile
After about 45 seconds, I feel like a million bucks.