Author Topic: ability lapse  (Read 1841 times)

December 24, 2005, 04:48:49 AM
Read 1841 times

Shadowmagic99

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

been so long since ive seen veritas...had to follow like 4 links to get here....is this like the 3rd-4th reincarnation of it or something???

anyway, like i said, its been awhile since ive been on veritas (almost 2 years), been away studying, so forgive me if this has been discussed before.

Over the past week or two ive only been able to train for about an hour a day. I expected some decline in abilities there, but strangely there wasnt (not normal for me, and change in training schedule and i lose so much). What is strange, however, is that now i have started back on schedule, and it seems the more i train, the weaker things are getting, and the more focus they require. anyone been through this before, or got any ideas?

December 24, 2005, 05:23:05 AM
Reply #1

Falcon

• Posts By Osmosis

• Vretsa Dcitoinray

• Personal Text
    Veritas Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
I'd say it can be common. If you have stopped doing something for a long time and then just jump in doing a fair amount you can weaken yourself.

For instances, if you normally do 100 press ups in a day then suddenly you went to 1000 your putting 10x the amount you normally do on top of it, your body proberly can handle it to begin with, but after a short amount of time you will be exhasted and you will fall back down and decline in your ability to do 1000, the same goes with psionics, if you used to do 1 hour a day, you built up to it, and the same implies again, cut it in half do 30 minutes a day, and add 10 minutes extra on every week.

Try doing some kind of pshyical excersise before you start your psi workout, and also meditate to gain extra concentration. :)
Finding some things difficult and need a extra hand, Apply for a mentor that's what were here for http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=9706.0

December 24, 2005, 09:01:59 AM
Reply #2

TheThing

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
First of all read Falcons post, it's quite informative. Secondly ask a little man asked call Kobok about anaylatic overlay [he talks about it in his sleep]
Personaly I think you've just hit the hump, you've run out of beginners luck and have not yet became advanced. The key is just to keep on practicing and hope for the best.
TheThings's Flatmate.

December 26, 2005, 08:29:57 AM
Reply #3

sarpesius

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
I abandoned the craft for several years.

Now that I have been led back into it, my ability to ping is gone. I can still do mental talking, and other sensitives hear me.  I still get the psychic bell. 

A new ability I discovered is that I can send images to willing receivers.

A few weeks ago I was doing vampiric psi feeding, but it became more difficult, so I have all but given it up.

After gathering chi in my abdomen few weeks ago, my navel chakra started hurting, so I left off that and shifted to the heart chakra.

OBE attempts are making me physically ill.  I may have to drop OBE entirely.

Perhaps some avenues are not right for us, so our abilities there fade. 

But new avenues turn up.  I just stumbled upon how to create a power word using glossolalia.

If one path fails us, we shift into other areas. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 08:32:30 AM by sarpesius »
In the Middle Ages and Renaissance, the equivalent of shrinks were torturing and burning you.  Now you tell people to go to them and think you are being helpful.  What a fool you are.

December 26, 2005, 09:15:43 AM
Reply #4

ChezNips

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Teacher

• View Profile
First of all read Falcons post, it's quite informative. Secondly ask a little man asked call Kobok about anaylatic overlay [he talks about it in his sleep]
Personaly I think you've just hit the hump, you've run out of beginners luck and have not yet became advanced. The key is just to keep on practicing and hope for the best.

I dont believe in "beginners luck" period.  What happens when you are interesting in some subject, that is where your focus is.  Then if you give it up for awhile, your focus goes elsewhere.  But because psi is connected to the subconscious or soul as others prefer to say, the abilities are still there, still stored in your memory but you have become rusty and have probably lost confidence.  You can at any time pick up where you were but it requires some work and effort and especially getting that focus back to where you were.  Its like any skill that you stop working on that becomes ingrained and then you stop.  Maybe a better way to show the analogy would be that if you are playing a computer game.  I'm old so lets use something like Doom.  When you start out it's akward and difficult.  As you keep playing it becomes easier and your instincts and reactions become quicker.  You start to shoot without manually thinking about it, it starts to become second nature.  Halfway thru the game you stop playing because you are bored with it.  Awhile later you want to play again and have to start over and again its akward at first until you get that auto-pilot going again.
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

December 26, 2005, 10:20:47 AM
Reply #5

TheThing

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
When it's new it's exciting and conjures your concentration. It's like when you get a new toy, the same applies in magic. Then you get the hump.
' Psi is for life, not just for Christmas' :santa:
TheThings's Flatmate.

December 26, 2005, 08:22:02 PM
Reply #6

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Secondly ask a little man asked call Kobok about anaylatic overlay [he talks about it in his sleep]

Actually, the problem described by Shadowmagic99 is usually due to internal overlay rather than analytical overlay.  Internal overlay is when you develop a learned pattern within the brain for performing psi, and begin to just go through those motions with the brain, and the actual performance of psi by the soul never occurs because the focus has shifted to that learned pattern within the brain. This is quite common when leaving for a time and returning, because you forget the subtle details of the soul which actually allow psi to be performed, but your brain remembers its internal ritual just like riding a bike.  It is just an unfortunate reality that the rituals of the brain alone result in no actual performance of psi.

The solution is simple.  Use focal meditation to get your focus deep, and then practice anything with immediate feedback to regain awareness of that deeper part of yourself that performs psi.  (A good example of an exercise with immediate feedback is the one in the introduction to kinetics article.)  The end result of recovering from internal overlay is that upon recovering, you can actually gain a deeper understanding and control over psi than beforehand, so you can look at it as an opportunity to improve beyond where you were.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

December 27, 2005, 12:21:11 AM
Reply #7

solstice

• Posts By Osmosis

• Dreamwalker

• Personal Text
    "Receive and transmit..."
    • View Profile
This is something I wrote about analytical overlay, a while back.  Read my first and last post here; http://www.astralsociety.com/as/Forum//index.php/topic,6888.0.html
The solution that I suggest is the same as Kobok's, for internal overlay.
Tell all the Truth but tell it slant: Success in Circuit lies.  Too bright for our infirm Delight. The Truth's superb surprise. As Lightning to the Children eased, with explanation kind.  The Truth must dazzle gradually, or every man be blind.
Tefeari: The Giant Impact Hypothesis is a theory

January 01, 2006, 04:29:07 AM
Reply #8

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
yes as Kobok says internal overlay is the problem you're experiencing, it's quite common, infact i've been suffering from it myself.

Part of the problem is that by repeating the same things day after day, is, eventually you'll suffer from subconciecly performing the processes rather than conceicly thinking about them.  You have to think deeply about what your doing, and try doing a variety of things, so try kenisis one day scanning the next.  Just like writing out the same thing again and again eventually you'll get bored and make more and more errors.

If like me you use void rather than focal meditation like Kobok, as you perform void mediatiation more and more you'll find it easier to void your mind and will do it more rapidly, you'll also find it hard to sustain a void mind, this is normal, haveing a blank mind for a reasonable length of time is incredably difficult.  So once your mind is clear start working on the reason you went into the meditation, don't just meditate to meditate.
“And you shall drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste.” -Almustafa, Garden of the Prophet.

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur