Poll

Would you rather Live in a world like now, or live in one where you had to fight for survival

This World
Fight World
Don't Care
Pizza Planet
A planet made in the shape of a barrel, and dragons live within the barrels interior

Author Topic: What would you rather?  (Read 2212 times)

October 15, 2005, 05:00:21 PM
Read 2212 times

Falcon

• Posts By Osmosis

• Vretsa Dcitoinray

• Personal Text
    Veritas Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Just Taught I'd ask, what you think, im pretty bored of this planet, most humans are materialistic and are basicly destroying the planet, and I like survival, so now you know what I choose it's your turn, you get two votes, one silly one real, real options are number one and two.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 07:51:25 PM by Falcon »
Finding some things difficult and need a extra hand, Apply for a mentor that's what were here for http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=9706.0

October 15, 2005, 05:46:32 PM
Reply #1

psychicT0201

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas_Hobo - Master of Hobokinesis
    • View Profile
Pizza Planet! 

of course! ;)

October 15, 2005, 06:13:33 PM
Reply #2

Kenji

• A Veritas Regular

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Theory.
    • View Profile
    • My dA Account
One thats not on the list. A world were you can actualy fall in love and not worried about all the complications of real life that tear us all apart. D=
Anyways... pizza planet!
Demons are just another truth.

October 16, 2005, 03:36:53 AM
Reply #3

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
A world where you fight for survival... Well, given time I think that global warming will probably push us to that path anyway, so I'd rather live in the world we live in now or a more comfortable and safe one.

Things to watch out for in the future which you can't fight against without science and the world we have:

Natural disasters such as eartquakes, tsunamis and hurricanes,
Various viral diseases such as bird flu and those ones coming from the polar ice caps,
An ice age.

These are all things that will not only be difficult to fight against, but will also kill millions of people. THAT is the kind of world where people fight for survival, but many do not survive. Is that what you want Falcon? Do you want to see people killed left, right, and centre? Despite all past transgressions - their contributions to destroying the atmosphere - are you so quick to deal out judgement and death? You yourself would be among the ranks of those who deserve to die, by your own logic, so don't start talking about what other people have done to destroy the planet like you have the moral high ground.

And to be honest, I think that if you were in the "survival" situation for a few weeks, you would be praying for a world like the one we have, because I sincerely doubt that you, anyone at Veritas, and probably very few, if any, within western civilisation, have ever truly experienced what it is to be pushed the limits of survival. You wish for a world you know nothing about, thinking that somehow you will last, that somehow it will all be like a film and have a happy ending. I suggest you re-think your desires.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 05:59:18 AM by Talyn »
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

October 16, 2005, 04:09:52 AM
Reply #4

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
Thought. The word is spelt T-H-O-U-G-H-T. Not taught. Taught refers to teaching, ie passing along information in an understandable manner. Thought refers to thinking, ie the non-physical stuff that happens in your head. I'm not trying to be an ass (with this post >.>) but it's just that you've been using the word taught, when you mean to use thought, for a long time now.

Oh, and uh, I picked this world.

~kakkarot
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 04:12:54 AM by kakkarot »
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

October 16, 2005, 04:24:01 AM
Reply #5

Road_Gear

• Settling In

• View Profile
I think we are already in a world where we fight for survival.

October 16, 2005, 04:43:11 AM
Reply #6

TheThing

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Depends way you live. Come on have you guys been to some slums.
Secondally if you had to fight for surival you wouldn't be happy bunnies. :dog:
TheThings's Flatmate.

October 16, 2005, 06:11:54 AM
Reply #7

Athiril

• Veritas Furniture

• Reverend Lucious

• View Profile
    • PhotoDan
And to be honest, I think that if you were in the "survival" situation for a few weeks, you would be praying for a world like the one we have, because I sincerely doubt that you, anyone at Veritas, and probably very few, if any, within western civilisation, have ever truly experienced what it is to be pushed the limits of survival. You wish for a world you know nothing about, thinking that somehow you will last, that somehow it will all be like a film and have a happy ending. I suggest you re-think your desires.

Well for me, it just became kind of like second nature

October 16, 2005, 06:16:37 AM
Reply #8

saiyajin

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    :-*
    • View Profile
A world where you fight for survival... Well, given time I think that global warming will probably push us to that path anyway, so I'd rather live in the world we live in now or a more comfortable and safe one.

Things to watch out for in the future which you can't fight against without science and the world we have:

Natural disasters such as eartquakes, tsunamis and hurricanes,
Various viral diseases such as bird flu and those ones coming from the polar ice caps,
An ice age.

These are all things that will not only be difficult to fight against, but will also kill millions of people. THAT is the kind of world where people fight for survival, but many do not survive. Is that what you want Falcon? Do you want to see people killed left, right, and centre? Despite all past transgressions - their contributions to destroying the atmosphere - are you so quick to deal out judgement and death? You yourself would be among the ranks of those who deserve to die, by your own logic, so don't start talking about what other people have done to destroy the planet like you have the moral high ground.

quoted for truth

November 04, 2005, 12:31:07 PM
Reply #9

DemiGlow

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    The Blunt King!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/greenroomlounge
Ok, But can we repopulate the Fight world afterwards....with endless fields of my Fav sticky icky~ & make it legal of course!
Expecting life to treat you well because you are a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.-- Shari R. Barr

~~*In just 2 days, Tomorrow will be yesterday!*~~

November 04, 2005, 02:41:29 PM
Reply #10

eyesense

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
I chose both the "This World" option as well as the "Fight World" option. I only say this because a drastic change in the world as we now know can bring into existence utopia where everyone loses their ego (read 1984), thus becoming something other than 'human' as we know it, or the destruction of mankind. This option is a valid possibility in my eyes as it aims for extreme ideals total order or lack thereof - both of which spawn from a struggle to suvive. Will those people that fight feel sick to the stomach and stop? Or will they continue to fight and cease to exist?

On the other hand, this present world has many things wrong with it. There are plenty of good people and there are plenty of bad people both of which intentionally or unintentionally damage the planet as well as themselves.

With that said, I still have hope for humanity a great deal, and I pray that somehow people will eventually realize where they went wrong and fix it. However if this realization does not happen soon enough, a drastic change is bound to happen.

The world is drunk in and of itself.
Which way will it fall? I can only imagine...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 02:49:33 PM by eyesense »
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.

November 05, 2005, 03:25:14 PM
Reply #11

Creature

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Psychopath
    • View Profile
    • Creature's Sanctuary forum (rest of site under construction)
<Kanifer> America invented MTV. 
<Shadowarrior13> Kanifer, shut up.
<Shadowarrior13> We don't want them knowing that.

"If you American types don't start doing a better job of choosing presidents, we're going to have to revoke your independence..."
-- Philosopher

November 05, 2005, 06:40:06 PM
Reply #12

Zake

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Staff

• Personal Text
    Veritas Staff
    • View Profile
I chose both the "This World" option as well as the "Fight World" option. I only say this because a drastic change in the world as we now know can bring into existence utopia where everyone loses their ego (read 1984), thus becoming something other than 'human' as we know it, or the destruction of mankind. This option is a valid possibility in my eyes as it aims for extreme ideals total order or lack thereof - both of which spawn from a struggle to suvive. Will those people that fight feel sick to the stomach and stop? Or will they continue to fight and cease to exist?

As my English class is getting me to read a bunch of dystopian novels (A Brave New World, Clockwork Orange, perhaps even 1984), I eventually got fed up with all these visions of people doing it wrong and tried writing a short story about a place that got utopia right.  And it turned out that things weren't drastically different, as far as I took my vision.  Says something.

Technology may cause drastic changes in the world, but ultimately we'll have to assume that humanity will resist killing itself.  I mean, we managed not to blow ourselves up in the Cold War, so we have a good chance of not all calcifying into some egoless dystopia.  And who knows?  Perhaps when superintelligent computers take over the world (or are given it), they'll logically derive altruism :).  Then we'd be set.

...More directly connected to the topic, though, a fight world would be fun untill someone came at you with an AK-47.  Or burned your house.  Or took down your friends.  Or destroyed what you were fighting for.  Or cowardily blew you up with an IED.  Or, probably the best outcome, just kicked your ass.  If you really think a fight world would be that great, we have Iraq in the comfort of this one -_-.
Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.