Author Topic: Applications for mentors  (Read 40824 times)

November 20, 2005, 10:54:57 AM
Reply #15

Forg

• Posts By Osmosis

• The V' Smithy

• View Profile
AngryLeprachaun and Mayanthe666th have not been determined to be qualified for the mentor position. His 'mentoring', 'help', and opinions are not necessarily reflections of the staff or mentors. So those of you who take him up on his offer, you understand the risks.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 10:59:19 AM by Forg »
Be your own light, your own refuge. Believe only that which you test for yourself. Do not accept authority merely because it comes from a great man, or is written in a sacred book, for truth is different for each man and woman." -- Buddha

November 20, 2005, 12:45:01 PM
Reply #16

TheThing

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
It's risk coming to the OEC. No one is perfect I'm not neither. It is risking conacting anyone passing the mentor test dosn't make you perfect.
TheThings's Flatmate.

November 20, 2005, 12:49:17 PM
Reply #17

Vinncent

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    Nobody
    • View Profile
It's risk coming to the OEC. No one is perfect I'm not neither. It is risking conacting anyone passing the mentor test dosn't make you perfect.

Yes, and going to medical school for 8 years doesn't guarentee a 100% success rate with your patients. But who do you go to if you needed to have open heart surgery done? The person who's 'qualified', or the homeless person on your street corner?
\\\"Only a fool quotes himself\\\" - Vinncent

The history of the world is but the biography of great men.

November 20, 2005, 12:53:07 PM
Reply #18

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
It's a risk crossing the road in the morning, it's a risk breathing in because you could choke and die, but we do these things anyway, because we aren't focused on the risks, but the things we can potentially gain that help us in our lives. It's no different when someone comes to the OEC.

Yes, no one is perfect, but those that do pass have been determined to be able to give a more objective and/or experienced point of view, and have been identified as the people who actually want to put the effort in to help others.

EDIT: Damnit Vinny :teethy:
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

November 20, 2005, 12:54:52 PM
Reply #19

TheThing

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Nice point..............
But, the docters have qualifications and all proofs. All the mentors have is the panels word. You should never trust people on the internet just use them. The real question is how much intelligence do they show.
Good question. Does Mayan act like a retard?
Bad question. What do the mods think of Mayan?
Ps. I quite like the system no insults or anything.
TheThings's Flatmate.

November 20, 2005, 02:04:28 PM
Reply #20

Forg

• Posts By Osmosis

• The V' Smithy

• View Profile
Trust in this case is subjective. You should not be foolish to trust outright that which has a high chance to be false of course. But in this given case, if you respect the opinions of the staff or perhaps just the mentors, that can reflect how qualified a person is for a specific job. No one has to trust anyone, but if you want to get anywhere you're going to have to find reason to believe something, eventually.

But, the docters have qualifications and all proofs. All the mentors have is the panels word. You should never trust people on the internet just use them. The real question is how much intelligence do they show.
Good question. Does Mayan act like a retard?
Bad question. What do the mods think of Mayan?
Ps. I quite like the system no insults or anything.

In this case, you have to use another level of trust. Do you respect the opinions of the mods to know if 'Mayan acts like a retard' or do you need to go directly to the issue and find outright from the source.

I agree that no one should believe, right away, if they aren't familiar with that person. But in the case of our mods here or others that have been with us for a long period of time, you learn to trust them by the truthful and useful knowledge they share.
Be your own light, your own refuge. Believe only that which you test for yourself. Do not accept authority merely because it comes from a great man, or is written in a sacred book, for truth is different for each man and woman." -- Buddha

November 21, 2005, 08:01:33 PM
Reply #21

AngryLeprachaun

• Posts By Osmosis

• Freelance Leprechaun

• Personal Text
    VERITAS LEP
    • View Profile
AngryLeprachaun and Mayanthe666th have not been determined to be qualified for the mentor position. His 'mentoring', 'help', and opinions are not necessarily reflections of the staff or mentors. So those of you who take him up on his offer, you understand the risks.

I just wanted to add something to this.  I may have not been qualified as you say, Forg, but I have had a lot of exposure to many of the ideas and topics brought up in the Veritas Forums.  I really don't respect you saying, "So those who take him up on his offer, you understand the risks."

People need to also realize the risks they are potentially taking when talking to a mentor also.  I offered that help because some individuals may not want to ask a "Mentor", but may want to ask someone that has had a lot of exposure to the topics we talk about here.

And, Taylan?  I won't compliment you anymore, for I noticed that you were very propulsive in what you had to say.

Thank you everyone.

-AngryLep-
..::Believe::..

November 22, 2005, 08:39:05 AM
Reply #22

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
I don't appreciate you complementing me and then insulting people I consider friends. The former doesn't excuse the latter.

As for asking someone who has a lot of exposure, I think you'll find that all of the mentors will have had a lot of exposure, and if you have had as much as you claim you have, why not apply to be a mentor instead of insulting the program? A program, which was by the way, set up for the sole purpose of helping other people learn.
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

November 22, 2005, 10:24:07 AM
Reply #23

Forg

• Posts By Osmosis

• The V' Smithy

• View Profile
I just wanted to add something to this.  I may have not been qualified as you say, Forg, but I have had a lot of exposure to many of the ideas and topics brought up in the Veritas Forums.  I really don't respect you saying, "So those who take him up on his offer, you understand the risks."

I never said whether you were or were not qualified. Only that we haven't given you an interview and determined whether you would be qualified. I've personally never seen you display your knowledge in such a way regardless of your 'exposure'. So by my judgement it would be more risky getting help from you than someone who we have deemed as qualified for such a position.

November 22, 2005, 08:36:39 PM
Reply #24

Underworlder

• A Familiar Feature

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    Teacher of the Kinesis
    • View Profile
What is it that you would like to mentor?
Kinetics, Telepathy, Empathy

What do you think qualifies you for this position?
I teach a group of people at my highschool in telepathy and basic kinesis they number around 26 people and claim to enjoy it

What experience do you have in this/these field/s?
I have practiced for 4 years and taught for 2

Explain the potential ploy with the use of birds in a candy commercial.
birds stealing food from an old man, when they try to steal candy from him it gets stuck to them and they cant fly away, the old man walks away laughing

Do you have any experience from similar position?
position of what? :confused:

Do you feel you are able to work well with a team, and why?
Yes, people have to work well with teams every day if i couldnt do so i wouldnt be able to teach

If you were a bird, what type of bird would you be, and why?
A penguin, nobody suspects the penguin

Is there any other information you feel is relevant to taking on this position and you would like to mention?
The best way to learn and grow oneself in a subject is to teach it and i would like to increase my class size and thus increase my own learning

What do you feel does/would spiritually satisfy you.
walking at 2:00 AM when nobody is around, its like your the only person alive :cow:
I am an enigma
wrapped in a mystery
sheathed in a quandary
ensconced in a dilemma
swathed in a quagmire
swaddled in an imbroglio
and covered in a white wrapper

December 16, 2005, 08:36:03 PM
Reply #25

Adept

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• View Profile
Magic

I have Completed Prophecy's Magic course. I am a practicing magician. My skill, is not great, but I have read and learned that material in Prohpecy's course, I have been reading IIH by Bardon and am Currently a member of the Hermetic Sanctuary of Ma'at (a Golden Dawn Temple) and have been following their course with my own twist. I also tutor after school.

Experience wise, I must admit I am slightly lacking. But I know the material. Its just a matter of conditioning myself at this point.

Well, there could be a flock of birds that see some man sitting on a park bench unwrapping a chocolate bar. As he's unwrapping the top of the bar, the birds go wide eyes and look his way. He's about to take a bite, and looks to his left and See's the birds flying his way. They steal his bar and fly on top of the Empire State building and start eating it. The man desperate to get back his bar, climbs the side of the building with pure determination in his eye. He reaches the top and scares the birds away. Sits down and eats his bar. Its THAT Good.

Yes. I tutor after school. English, Math, Science, etc. and I am A Magic Class TA.

I do because I generally like people and I love working with others with a similar interest. I always feel I learn more when I am working with others, which is why I particularly enjoy helping as a TA when I can.

An Osprey. Master of Land, Sky and Sea. Alternatively, Celestial, Astral and Physical.

Is there any other information you feel is relevant to taking on this position and you would like to mention?
not really. I think I have listed just about everything, other than I enjoy teaching and watching my pupil progress. its rather fulfilling.

Magic and Teaching others.

~Adept

December 30, 2005, 04:48:47 PM
Reply #26

Mentors

• Settling In

• Mentors

• Personal Text
    Mentors
    • View Profile
Orthas

Psionics

I have a reasonable knowledge of psionics, having studied it for a year and learned from those who have studied it for longer, I am also in Kobok’s psionics class

I have a little practical experience, but I must confess the frustration I suffer from having an understanding surpassing my practical ability means that it is limited.

personally I can’t see any advantage with using birds in a sweet advert, birds and food together conjure up images of seagulls not something I’d like to associate with my product.

unfortunately no.

Yes I do, I work better in a team as others can fill in gaps in my knowledge and/or stimulate thoughts I might otherwise not have been led to.

A sparrow because if I could fly I might as well be able to fly very very well, no point in only going half way

not really.

finding something that would spiritually satisfy me, if I knew the answer to that question I wouldn’t be here.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 06:32:06 PM by Falcon »

January 09, 2006, 05:08:58 PM
Reply #27

Lightbringer

• Posts By Osmosis

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Spiritual Warrior
    • View Profile

Electrokinesis (beware the taboo word!), telekinesis, telempathy, TPS, Forcecraft (the non-fluffy type)

Well I've been doing forcecraft since I was 6 and was taught by my father who has been doing forcecraft for 50 years so far.  I've got a binder of mantras and decrees that is hundreds, possibly thousands of pages (never bothered to count).  As for electrokinesis, I've got very precise control of electric charges to the extent that I can use my skills to interact with computers rudimentarily (I won't be beating anyone in counter-strike without touching the mouse and keyboard any time soon but can shut them down and turn them on properly, etc.)  I've moved large steel fire doors with TK and frequently share the thoughts and feelings of those around me (and on occasion have manipulated those thoughts and feelings) since I was born a natural telempath.

12 years of forcecraft and about 5 in psionics.

It's a rip-off of the Telus telephone company's commercials that feature animals singing songs.  They're a huge hit and as such the company that produces Mentos thought they could benefit as well from the same cutesy marketing strategy.

I've aided a few members of Veritas over the years with developing their abilities in certain areas.  Unofficially of course, they'd simply email or PM me after

I've spent my academic career excelling at exercises that focus on teamwork (group projects and assignments), I've played on very successful soccer teams since the first grade, and have trained to be part of a 10 man canoe then later went on week long excursions into the wilderness with said canoe crew.

A giant eagle, they do 2D6 damage, more so than any other bird...D&D joke for anyone who gets it lol.  Seriously though, probably an eagle, no sense wasting the opportunity of being a bird if you're gonna just be food for bigger birds and animals.

Not that I can think of, this is quite the myriad of questions you guys have come up with.

Being a physically, emotionally, mentally stable person.  The metaphysical/spiritual world is intrinsically connected to the physical, therefore if I'm satisfied in the physical world (no I don't mean just sexually, nutritionally and socially satiated, if that's what my happiness was dependant on, I wouldn't be happy all that often) then I'm satisfied spiritually.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 05:14:12 PM by Lightbringer »
The thing that really fascinates me about people is their ability to have no idea what's going on even though it's going on in plain sight all around them and the even more amazing tendency to argue violently when one of these obvious things is presented to them.

January 10, 2006, 02:56:13 PM
Reply #28

DownRodeo

• Veritas Furniture

• DD-APPR0VED! A-OKAYH!!

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
    • BudoTaijutsu.co.uk-Koshin Dojo Malmesbury
I would like to mentor or assist anyone else who is mentoring in the Body Energy Arts and Eastern Philosophy/Spirituality, which in my opinion can very often go hand in hand.

In terms of the Body energy arts, I have been studying the combat art of Budo-Taijutsu (Under the Bujinkan Ogransiation) for 6 years and am currently 1st Dan and a teaching assistant in my current club and have been given the green light by my instructor to set up shibu of my own at Lancaster University in September of this year, under the guidance a 7th dan Shidoshi. Budo deals with both qi and sakki (two different energies according to Budo's perspective, the latter being used usually mainly by select Japanese arts as far as I am aware) but runs along side other Japanese arts like aikido in respect to qi and Kiaijutsu, although obviously has its own twists. I am currently dabbling in Tai Chi Chaun, but have no real means of the assesment of my progress here, I regret to inform. I have also studied Judo practically and enjoy researching about a plethora of other styles and systems. I have also reserached a fair bit into qi gong and body energy  related areas. They all have relating themes

Along side the stuyding of this Japanese art I have made it my Job to understand its roots and thus have read extensively into many traditions and philosophies from Japan, spanning all the way back through China to their origins in India. I studied these topics in school and out school in my spare time and I will continue to study this in my free time, untill I begin my degree course in Lancaster on Eastern philosophy and religion in september.

Obviously a lot of the points above apply, but just to add a little more; I have recently spent 3 months in Japan, to get to grips with it's language and culture, which is vastly different and creates a totally different mindset in comparison to the western mindset. Experiencing Japanese cluture at such an immersive level really ties everything in together and helps you to understand what effect their spiritual and martial traditions had and still have on their culture today.

I'm now convinced that someone on the staff works in an advertising agency and is attempting to get all the applicants to churn out ideas for a brief before their next deadline. Shame on you evil staff members! The real ploy is in getting us to do your work for you!

Martial arts teaching assistant, to adults and children. I guess people mentor each other all the time at different stages in their lives, I have given advice (as well as taken) from numerous people in my life time, I am no stranger to it.

I have and have had no real quarrel with any staff members or fellow mentors here, I can work well in any team (even one that I may be at odds with) and especially so here.

I would be a Peregrine Falcon, for they are becoming ever rarer and are the swiftest bird on the planet....and they look cool.

I look like a Hobbit? Does that help?;) I would also like to add that (well, more of a request, if that is allowed), Talyn and Staff permitting, to mentor along side Talyn, I feel from our conversations he really knows his stuff about both areas I have applied for and think it would benifit us both and those who apply, in my humble opinion. After consideration I would also like to add that I studied psionics under an ex-veritas member for a fair while, but I do not wish to apply to mentor in said area.

What do you feel does/would spiritually satisfy you?
Watching steam rise from a kettle, watching realisation of truth and happiness coming to a fellow human being and for them then to wish realisation of my truth and happiness to come to me. Whatever those realisations may be.

~DownRodeo
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 03:11:28 PM by DownRodeo »
"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part, you can't even passively take part, and you've got to put your bodies on the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers... and you've got to make it stop!"
Mario Savio

January 18, 2006, 11:52:35 AM
Reply #29

Forg

• Posts By Osmosis

• The V' Smithy

• View Profile
We are no longer adding new mentors. Feel free to continue to submit applications and you will be informed when we need more. Thank you.