Author Topic: Applications for mentors  (Read 40605 times)

October 09, 2005, 03:34:33 PM
Read 40605 times

Forg

• Posts By Osmosis

• The V' Smithy

• View Profile
The following is for those members who feel that they qualify and are interested in being mentors, we are currently looking for mentors to strengthen our current program. Please fill out this questionare and post it in this thread.

What is it that you would like to mentor?

What do you think qualifies you for this position?

What experience do you have in this/these field/s?

Explain the potential ploy with the use of birds in a candy commercial.

Do you have any experience from similar position?

Do you feel you are able to work well with a team, and why?

If you were a bird, what type of bird would you be, and why?

Is there any other information you feel is relevant to taking on this position and you would like to mention?

What do you feel does/would spiritually satisfy you.

The application/interview will be judged by at least 3 members of staff or the mentors group and the applicant will then be informed of his acceptance. Applicants may also be subject to an interview. You will be contacted with more information.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 02:14:34 PM by Forg »
Be your own light, your own refuge. Believe only that which you test for yourself. Do not accept authority merely because it comes from a great man, or is written in a sacred book, for truth is different for each man and woman." -- Buddha

October 09, 2005, 06:31:19 PM
Reply #1

Zankuro

• Veritas Furniture

• Trasholin Can Fu Master

• Personal Text
    "DD APPR0VED! A-OKAYH"
    • View Profile
I might have considered applying in the BEA area, but as we all know, there's typically no guarentee of when I'll be on.

If anyone mentoring in that area would like assistance, they could contact me and set up a one-shot double teacher chat-thing. I believe anyone that would consider it knows my credentials.. though I rather doubt there would be the need or desire for such a thing.
If your heart is large enough to envelop your adversaries, you can see right through them and avoid their attacks. And once you envelop them, you will be able to guide them along the path indicated to you by heaven and earth.
~Morihei Ueshiba

October 12, 2005, 02:16:43 PM
Reply #2

XIII

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Ḥ̵̲̗̫͈̩͕̐̓͆o͔͚̣͎͚͜ř̶ͦ͒̈̐͂r͍̱ȏ͉̟̱̬̥̩ͤ̎r̮ͨ̽ͫ ̊ͭ

• View Profile
Basic + Advanced Psionics, and basic elemental magic

2-ish years delving into the more advanced aspects of psi, and 3 quarters of a year in magic

Psi class up to now, held a few seminars at UPC, self taught in hermetic magic.

Explain the potential marketing ploy with the use of birds in a candy commercial.
Well, a bird could symbolize freedom, and being in a candy commercial, could link freedom to the candy, giving the consumer the thought that if s/he ate the supposed candy, they'd feel free as a bird. Plus, birds are fun, and may appeal to children.

Held the position of "author" at upconline.net, directed a seminar which went well.

Work with teams all the time, been commented on by authority figures on "excellence"

I would be a griffin, because they are cool and lion-y, even though they don't exist.

Is there any other information you feel is relevant to taking on this position and you would like to mention?
I'm free pretty much all the time, and I'm on a lot.

Passing on my knowledge to fresh minds, and knowing that I made a difference in a life.
<@kobok> And if you push hard enough, you can shove quite a lot into a chicken.

<@Trowa> When someone told him to jump off a cliff, he argued the semantic meanings of "jump" and "cliff", and then proceeded to do just that.

October 13, 2005, 01:38:19 PM
Reply #3

Zankuro

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    "DD APPR0VED! A-OKAYH"
    • View Profile
For future reference, that's eclectic, not electric. Just thought that one was worth making note of.  :wink:
If your heart is large enough to envelop your adversaries, you can see right through them and avoid their attacks. And once you envelop them, you will be able to guide them along the path indicated to you by heaven and earth.
~Morihei Ueshiba

October 16, 2005, 02:54:08 AM
Reply #4

Rafnul!

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• he-who-posts-lots

• View Profile

I would like to mentor in any discipline.  I'm more apt to just want to make sure people are not doing themselves more harm than good in their approach to their studies, no matter what they are.

If I don't already know the material necessary to help those whom I mentor, I'm independent enough to locate it on my own.  I'm also good at working with people on a one on one basis, and I generally have ideas that encourage people to keep going, not discourage them.

I've been studying psionics, chi, and magic for more than 10 years, but I still wouldn't describe much of that as experience.  From a scholastic point of view, I probably know a bit more than the average member of Veritas, but I can't say that I've performed much of anything that would qualify me as experienced.

?  Seriously, speculating on something like that is just not a good idea.  There is no ploy, somebody is just paranoid about birds.

I was staff here once.  I've tutored mathematics and English before.  I've taught children in church class on Sundays before.  I've been trying to help my peers grow since day one...

Certainly.  I seem to have the uncanny ability to get the most out of people, even if they themselves don't realize what they are capable of.  I can generally recognize people's talents, recognize my own, and formulate a plan that best distributes those talents.

I would be a crow.  Wise and extremely understanding of social behavior.

I tend to look like a skeptic.  I don't accept things as being true without good reason, and because of this, I ensure that nothing without value gets through.  It's my ability to filter this that would be exceptionally useful to fellow students of the occult.

October 24, 2005, 06:12:11 AM
Reply #5

Falcon

• Posts By Osmosis

• Vretsa Dcitoinray

• Personal Text
    Veritas Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
I would like to Mentor Psionics

I have about 3 years experience, in this field and have helped people online before, get started into this topic.

I've helped people get Started into the psionic field, and giving them excersices to pratice and gain better contol over psi, these people have seemed happy with the information I have given them.

Birds represent Freedom to me, to be able to fly and go anywherte you like, this is why I think they are used in Commercials, But a Candy Commercial, proberly to show that you can get as high as a bird, with the increase of sugar.

No, Apart from talking to people and showing them the right paths to take, and helping them along the way.

I do feel that I work well in a team, working in a sports centre as a lifeguard and looking after children, you kinda need to be able to work well in a team, and help each other, also watch each others back just incase.

ANY, birds are free to me, and just the idea of begin able to fly, comforts me, thats why I want to learn to fly planes, which I will be doing this year.

I like to teach and help people, also help out, I like to push past boundaries so I try to push as far as I can before I can't go any further. which then I rest and go at it a gain, I never give up.

To push this world out of existance and go somewhere else when I wanted to, this place would be un polluted and unaffected by our world, it would be calm and quiet, you could mediate and heach a higher state with ease, and anything you wanted to be able to do, you would be able to do it here. But friends could also come with you to. So I guess this is my kind of heaven.

Thanks Falcon
Finding some things difficult and need a extra hand, Apply for a mentor that's what were here for http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=9706.0

October 26, 2005, 06:12:52 PM
Reply #6

TakeV

• Veritas Council
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Mad Scientist

• View Profile
    *Psionics mostly. But I am learning new things all the time, and would be willing to teach those things as well, if I get them down right.

*One and a half years of serious practice now. Three years of just fooling around, if you want to count that too/

*Well, it's all a conspiracy really. They only start with the cereal, but the combination of colorful birds and sugar hypnotizes all the kids and bachelors. So      then everyone starts throw gross amounts of cash at Kellogs, then they go to the candy companies. There they gain even more sugar. So they start to make sugar coated birds. So as you can see, it was Ms. Peacock, in the library, with the revolver!!!

*I have been a math tutor, a reading tutor, and the guy that everyone comes for help in school.

*If the team is generally friendly, I wouldn't want to work with hostile people.

*Penguin, because they slide around lots. Wheee!

*Umm......... no?

*Figuring out new ways to work with the universe to achieve goals. You know, the standard goal of most mages and psions  :smilie:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 07:58:22 PM by TakeV »

October 31, 2005, 02:29:43 PM
Reply #7

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
My areas of expertise are primarily Philosophy and the Body Energy Arts, though I have dabbled in a scholarly nature within Psi and several other areas since I first entered the OEC, through articles and reading and taking part in discussions.

Although I am not the most knowledgable in any of the fields, I still think that I will be able to offer valuable insight and help to people who need it. Additionally, if I am required to find something out in order to explain it to a mentee, I will endeavour to understand it as fully as possible before I take them through it, regardless of complex it may be.

I've been studying philosophy (anything that concerns the nature of life, not only in the 'what is reality' sense, but also, the 'how do you truly live' and 'how should you live' senses) within my spare time for a few years now, probably about 3 years seriously. I've been practicing the Body Energy Arts for about 3 years, but it's never been 'hardcore' training, more light training as a supplement to Kung Fu, which I've had 4 years of experience in, though I personally feel like I've come a lot further than most people do in a longer period of time.

The stork delivers babies to doorsteps, and babies have been described as 'sweet'. I think it sort of comes from there that the stork could drop candy to the doorsteps of children in his/her spare time. However, the stork doesn't do that, so hopefully kids will eat healthier due to the lack of conveniently delivered candy.

For the last several months, I have been helping my Kung Fu instructor with teaching the classes, so I have some experience in teaching. I've also helped several friends over the Internet and in real life get through various emotional problems by working through their problems and trying to understand what they're going through, whilst also giving a more objective perspective when needed.

Yes, because when working in a team I can communicate well, take charge of situations if required, and may offer insight that other people might not consider. I also have a somewhat unique ability to put myself in other people's positions and see things from their point of view.

A hummingbird. A bird that flaps its wings anywhere between 15 to 80 times a second, and yet, manages to retain enough control to drink the nector from plants.

Just because I want to become a mentor doesn't mean I consider myself a know-it-all by any means whatsoever, I will still continue to look to other people for advice, answers and whatnot. I'm not the kind of person who will stop learning, not now, not ever, and I hope to pass my desire for learning and understanding onto other people.

Helping people. Every time I have helped someone in my life, it has made me feel good. Helping people to become better people, and protecting people from pain whenever possible are two of the most important ethical principles I hold.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 02:38:59 PM by Talyn »
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

October 31, 2005, 05:53:46 PM
Reply #8

Zankuro

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    "DD APPR0VED! A-OKAYH"
    • View Profile
Hm. In retrospect, I do have a sizeable amount of free time during the week. I've decided to apply actively..

Martial arts/energy cultivation; principles and ethics of self-defense and spiritually oriented arts.

General experience and aptitude for the subjects, positions of help/authority with the community, as well as teaching experience in martial arts offline.

Various energy work for several years.. around 6, give or take. Mainly looking at the chi/ki side; however, I began in magic and have dabbled in psionics. Martial arts for several years--I did some assorted training in my childhood and began kempo in my first year of high school, and I am currently the head of my university's branch of the system. I also have a history of independant research on random topics in the BEA and enlightenment areas.

It's subjective. It depends on how the viewer thinks of birds. Perhaps favorably, perhaps fearfully.. since marketing ploys often rely on subliminals, nothing is set in stone. It really depends on the audience.

I have been in a senior kyu position at my instructor's dojo, I am currently teaching kempo in the club branch at my university, and I have previously been "The Cleaner" and a moderator/Level 4 on various incarnations of Veritas.

If the team is able to work well with me, we will have no problems. I am generally a non-agressive and calm person, and I can work with anyone who isn't a blatant moron or bigot. And since this probably refers to the Veritas team, then we should be perfectly fine.

I would be a crane: graceful and peaceful, but dangerous if need be.

I do fully intend to stay long-term this time.  :wink:

Teaching people to defend themselves with only as much force as is nessecary.
Giving help where I may.
Those quiet moments when everything in the universe is right.
~Morihei Ueshiba

November 19, 2005, 06:00:56 PM
Reply #9

AngryLeprachaun

• Posts By Osmosis

• Freelance Leprechaun

• Personal Text
    VERITAS LEP
    • View Profile
I'm sorry to break the seriousness of this topic, but there has to be something that I must say.

Half these people in this room are the complete opposite then what they explain themeselves to be.  Iam not naming names.  I feel that the only real, reasonable person to be a mentor would be Taylan.  He decribes himself as he is, not as he hopes he will become.  Most of the people that answered the questions were just doing it to impress others not to show their true-innerself.  That is just my opinion.  If anyone would like to be mentored by me just i.m. me.  I'm free to discuss anything.  Thank you.

-AngryLep-
..::Believe::..

November 20, 2005, 07:12:04 AM
Reply #10

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Yeah, I know you would probably expect me to thank you for saying what you have, but I don't, not in the slightest, not after you downright insult several people competance when you probably don't even know them, or how capable they are. Maybe they are putting themselves up a bit, I don't know. However I do know that interviews follow the applications, and they wouldn't have been accepted if they didn't fair well in that, and the only way to fair well in that is to actually know what you're talking about. So before you comment on people's abilities in whatever respect, why not try to find out what those abilities are.
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

November 20, 2005, 07:32:41 AM
Reply #11

Vinncent

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    Nobody
    • View Profile
I'm sorry to break the seriousness of this topic, but there has to be something that I must say.

Half these people in this room are the complete opposite then what they explain themeselves to be.  Iam not naming names.  I feel that the only real, reasonable person to be a mentor would be Taylan.  He decribes himself as he is, not as he hopes he will become.  Most of the people that answered the questions were just doing it to impress others not to show their true-innerself.  That is just my opinion.  If anyone would like to be mentored by me just i.m. me.  I'm free to discuss anything.  Thank you.

-AngryLep-

Oh, the hypocrisy.
\\\"Only a fool quotes himself\\\" - Vinncent

The history of the world is but the biography of great men.

November 20, 2005, 08:15:19 AM
Reply #12

TheThing

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile

-AngryLep-
I second that.
TheThings's Flatmate.

November 20, 2005, 09:51:47 AM
Reply #13

`Remakai

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Veritas Staff
    • View Profile
Any response to stimuli contains a reflection of who a person really is. The questions serve the purpose of telling us whether a person is fit to be a mentor by the quality and tone of their response. There are no right answers. However, there are better answers, and worse answers.
Formulating your intent to avoid the negative ends up confirming the negative.

- kobok

November 20, 2005, 10:10:58 AM
Reply #14

TheThing

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Any response to stimuli contains a reflection of who a person really is. The questions serve the purpose of telling us whether a person is fit to be a mentor by the quality and tone of their response. There are no right answers. However, there are better answers, and worse answers.
Very insightful. It really is.
TheThings's Flatmate.