Author Topic: a Debate Forum?  (Read 1332 times)

January 22, 2004, 11:29:59 AM
Read 1332 times

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
a debate forum might be useful in some instances (like keeping the recently abated discussion about psi vs chi in one area rather than being spread across the entire forums), for letting people make full fledged arguments about large issues while knowing that people are there to actually read it and discuss the entire thing, rather than just bicker and flame each other. (and that kind of attitude in a thread allows people to feel more like they are contributing something useful when they make a long fleshed out post which explains things in great detail).

some possible guidelines might be:
-no flaming
-either state your own position on an issue and leave it at that, debate points that your opponents have made against your position, or debate your opponents position and the points they've made
-reference resources where further/clarrifying information can be found whenever possible
-use logic
-never use "you're wrong and i'm right" kind of arguments
or whatever you'd think should apply.

i'm trying to figure out how to word a possible rationalization for a debate forum since users are allowed to create debates nearly anywhere already, but i'm finding it difficult to grasp the elusive thought in my mind which understands why i think it might be a good idea.

but i just thought i'd suggest it anyway ^_^ .

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

January 23, 2004, 03:36:52 AM
Reply #1

MightyFalcon

• Veritas Furniture

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Point of Light Across Time
    • View Profile
    • Society Tomorrow Podcast
I generally like the idea, however IMO it would need some heavy moderation, because although the goal is to avoid flaming and negativity, that doesnt mean it wont happen anyway.

If one is created, i know exactly what my first debate would be. "Natural Living : Home in the Wilderness, Back to Human Roots"
Unique are we humans in that we are the only species to know waste ~Me