Author Topic: 6-pack and Splits  (Read 1954 times)

July 18, 2005, 07:48:19 AM
Read 1954 times

ClarkKent

• A Familiar Feature

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Hi its me been quite busy training for a while. Just to make it short just 2 questions.

1)What stretches do i need to perform the split.......(if you can show me pics of the stretches or tell me the correct name)

2)Can weight training (leg curls etc.) make you run faster?
Pain is only temporary. Strenght and speed have no limits. Let's Rock baby!:mad:

July 18, 2005, 09:11:39 AM
Reply #1

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNF_stretching and dynamic stretching, i.e. holding your leg out to the side as high as you can and pushing upward with only the muscles used to raise it.

2. Running will make your running better.
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

July 20, 2005, 06:10:35 AM
Reply #2

Aurafire

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Village Idiot
    • View Profile
I can't do the splits like I used to, but I worked my way into it, by doing the stance for the splits, and gradually working my way down.

For running, do both aerobic(running itself) and anaerobic(weight training), for maximum results. That's actually what runners do. Remember what separates you from most other people, though. Training is continuous practice, rather than a once in awhile deal. Thought I'd give that statement a try, it usually motivates me for some reason.
Patience is never inherited nor acquired, but only practiced everyday.

July 22, 2005, 09:46:05 PM
Reply #3

donjitsu2

• Veritas Furniture

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    The Poet of Pugilism
    • View Profile
    • (Un)Caged Fighter
Why do you want to do splits? They will in not improve your martial arts in anyway and may, in fact, rob you of considerable amounts of strength.
Weight training will improve your sprinting speed. Squats, Deadlifts, Power Cleans, and hill sprints will all work better then leg curls though.

August 04, 2005, 11:22:01 PM
Reply #4

MDKDeath

• Settling In

• View Profile
There is a technique for running faster, I don't recall what they named it, but it has the disadvantage of being extremely hard on your knees and ankles. But if you can get past some pain you can increase you speed.

It's essentially forcing your legs to move faster than they normally would.

To do this, find a fairly steep hill and run down it, you will notice that your speed increases faster and your legs take smaller steps to keep your balance, they also happen to have an almost instinctual action to them, meaning you don't control them while running down the hill so much as they control you running down the hill.

This technique can increase your running and kicking speed to one degree or another.