Author Topic: A question.... yup a question  (Read 1641 times)

June 22, 2005, 06:32:36 PM
Read 1641 times

Kurishian

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Hello, firstly I'd like to aske forgiveness if I am posting this in the wrong area. As far as I can  tell this is the most suitable location.
Recently I have taken a moderating possition at a japanese-english bilinguil chat site. We were experiencing difficulties with our chat and new found bugs with the update. It is now that we are discussing the possibilities of an IRC.
Unfortunately it seems none of us know how to set something like that up. So as it frequently comes to mind as a well functioning site, I returned to my homepage which I frequent far too rarely; Veritas. I am wondering if there is someone available who could explain setting up and IRC chat server or provide a link.
If you would like to meet with myself or the webmaster of the aforementioned site, the address follows
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/flashchat
I am referred to as Kurishian on this site, the webmaster as Clay

Thank you for your time
~Kurishian
One can find happiness even in suffering

June 22, 2005, 07:20:23 PM
Reply #1

solstice

• Posts By Osmosis

• Dreamwalker

• Personal Text
    "Receive and transmit..."
    • View Profile
Is you have a remotely hosted site, you can use the free applet that Sorcerynet has - http://www.sorcery.net  Just upload it with the instructions, in included.
Really, all any member needs is access to IRC.  Enter the server and type /msg chanserve help register.
Tell all the Truth but tell it slant: Success in Circuit lies.  Too bright for our infirm Delight. The Truth's superb surprise. As Lightning to the Children eased, with explanation kind.  The Truth must dazzle gradually, or every man be blind.
Tefeari: The Giant Impact Hypothesis is a theory

June 23, 2005, 12:56:32 AM
Reply #2

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Hi Kurishian.  I setup our current chat client.  Basically, it is just the open-source pjirc client with a small php wrapper which grabs the vbulletin username from the cookies, and then sets that as the parameter for nick and fullname.  Question marks are appended for alternatenick, as the question marks translate to a random number if the username is not available.  There is an example available with the pjirc download which should show you how to setup the html to embed the chat client.  Then basically, it just uses the php command print_output(""); to output the html, with $variables substituted as needed for the parameters.

In addition, you don't really want to setup an irc server, most likely.  There are plenty of publicly available irc servers already running, which you can just connect to and register a channel with.  (We use irc.sorcery.net)  So all you really want to setup is an irc client that integrates with your website.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

June 23, 2005, 02:03:02 PM
Reply #3

Kurishian

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Thank you for your help, I referred to Hunter (he's in charge of a lot of the computer and tech stuff) and he told me he'd really prefer to have his own server or at least to use a server seperate from sorcery.net. Apparently he doesn't want to be associated with sites non related to japanese.
Thank you once again for your help, we will use the information provided as best we are able.
One can find happiness even in suffering