Author Topic: Saw something weird in the sky tonight  (Read 3224 times)

December 13, 2003, 07:02:54 PM
Read 3224 times

The_One

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
I live in a chicago suburb and it just snowed this afternoon and I was outside around 9 pm. I was looking at the cloudy sky facing the direction that the sun sets in and the sky was like flickering a weird orange color. It was like there was a giant for burning behind/above the clouds but it wasn't very bright. I couldn't figure out what was making it do that and then a few minutes later it just stopped and stayed a dark orangish color. It gets dark around here at this time ofa year between 4 and five o'clock. Does anybody have any idea what this is??

December 13, 2003, 07:14:05 PM
Reply #1

SereneChaos

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
there has been an increase in solar activity over the past few months. That means, sometimes you'll see auroras where you usually wouldn't. I'm betting my money that is what you saw, just cosmic storms reflecting off the atmosphere. Nothing more, nothing else.

December 13, 2003, 09:04:30 PM
Reply #2

Viendin

• Veritas Furniture

• Writer-Scholar-Fighter

• Personal Text
    Writer-Scholar-Fighter
    • View Profile
True, it likely was the Aurora Borealis, but the thing is, it was cloudy, and the second thing is, Orange is one of the absolute rarest Aurora colours ever.. the last ones we saw up here were red, and we were amazed cause that's rare, but orange, and through the clouds.. My guess is a spotlight from the downtown area.. wait.. no, was it actually orange, or more of a pinkish brown? Cause the general light of cities reflects off the clouds, so it was likely just the bright streetlights and other lights in the city reflecting.
Deep in the dark woods, the grey wind blows.
How did it come there, not a soul knows.
Whence it shall leave, and all it shall cleave
are yet to be seen, as further time goes.

http://wammmr.ath.cx/

December 14, 2003, 07:24:45 AM
Reply #3

The_One

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Ya I kinda thought for a while that it was the city lights too, but I don't live that close to the city and it was only in the one direction. But I know what it looks like when theres a big spotlight going around. It was more of a brown orange color.

Thanks for your help