Author Topic: QiGong Class?  (Read 11583 times)

September 23, 2005, 08:20:19 PM
Reply #15

Adept

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• View Profile
I'm sure we could pull of a qi gong class if we really tried. Take quite a bit of effort by the sounds of it though. Hmm...Just to throw an Idea in the wind, what if we made detailed videos of the qi gong movements? Like,

DD has someone film him doing a short, beginners qi gong practice with the lecture built in. It could include emphasis on common mistakes, what you should look for (like making sure your elbow is high. High elbows may not have any significance to qi gong now, but you get the idea). then I dunno....students would be required to have a mirror to watch themselves practice, like in a gym. and maybe video conferences every now and then to test progress. The class size would have to be very small, but I think it could work. The BIG question is, does DD or anyone else have the TIME to do such a thing.

I just pulled that out of the top of my head so feel free to criticise.

Oh and, nothing shady about DD...aside from his *admin snap* addiction , which he went to AA (Administrators Anonymous) meetings for. :wink:

September 24, 2005, 01:26:05 AM
Reply #16

Natus Denuo

• Veritas Furniture

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Son of A Gun!
    • View Profile
I'd be happy to help out with a QiGong class...however it would be VERY hard to do; and would more than likely require 2 or more teachers working alongside each other to accomplish it.

It would most likely consist of articles, explaining things, lectures on theory and philosophy, and weekly 'check-ins' where students would report progression of practice and the teachers would give feedback.

It would be alot of work, though, that's for sure.
Quote from: kobok
As for TVs, if you need an expensive and phallic representation of your manhood which will go bad in a short period of time, buy plasma.  Otherwise, buy an LCD.

September 24, 2005, 05:51:32 AM
Reply #17

DownRodeo

• Veritas Furniture

• DD-APPR0VED! A-OKAYH!!

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
    • BudoTaijutsu.co.uk-Koshin Dojo Malmesbury
This is something I have been thinking about lately, I think that all the martial arts practitioners on veritas should produce some video's of them doing..whatever they do lol. I REALLY think that would be interesting, hate to quote the matrix but..., "You do not truly know someone, until you fight them". I think there is some truth in that, on many levels and seeing video's of each other doing our repsective arts and possibly producing some basic instructional clips (maybe...not sure if THAT part is such a good idea, for debate methinks :P.)
"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part, you can't even passively take part, and you've got to put your bodies on the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers... and you've got to make it stop!"
Mario Savio

September 24, 2005, 07:35:21 AM
Reply #18

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
This is something I have been thinking about lately, I think that all the martial arts practitioners on veritas should produce some video's of them doing..whatever they do lol. I REALLY think that would be interesting, hate to quote the matrix but..., "You do not truly know someone, until you fight them". I think there is some truth in that, on many levels and seeing video's of each other doing our repsective arts and possibly producing some basic instructional clips (maybe...not sure if THAT part is such a good idea, for debate methinks :P.)

We have space for a collection of reasonably sized videos if they can be somehow presented as part of a coherent and insightful whole.  I encourage anyone who has ideas about how to do this to talk it out and think up some sort of useful organization for such, and a way of generating such videos.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

September 24, 2005, 03:04:03 PM
Reply #19

Natus Denuo

• Veritas Furniture

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Son of A Gun!
    • View Profile

Personally I think that's a bad idea...a really bad idea.
As for TVs, if you need an expensive and phallic representation of your manhood which will go bad in a short period of time, buy plasma.  Otherwise, buy an LCD.

September 26, 2005, 06:51:33 AM
Reply #20

DownRodeo

• Veritas Furniture

• DD-APPR0VED! A-OKAYH!!

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
    • BudoTaijutsu.co.uk-Koshin Dojo Malmesbury
lmao, oh well xD, Don't say I didn't try :P I do think however, that I, for example could explain some spiritual-ish concepts like "kukan" better with the aid of video clips. I also think having the more experienced members demonstrating their styles would not only bring a little more interest to the media section, but also serve as inspiration for younger (and older too!) members to get off their pc's and get into the practical side of what we promote here. So I think its a good idea....*Wonders if Silverdawn could trail DD to a pub and film him in a bar brawl! :D*
"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part, you can't even passively take part, and you've got to put your bodies on the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers... and you've got to make it stop!"
Mario Savio

September 26, 2005, 07:17:21 AM
Reply #21

JC

• View Profile
well i dont have any input on this but i would like to say that i am very intrested in learning qigong so if you guys do start something i will be joining that class :biggrin:
Everything is possible if you believe it is

September 27, 2005, 02:09:46 PM
Reply #22

Natus Denuo

• Veritas Furniture

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Son of A Gun!
    • View Profile
lmao, oh well xD, Don't say I didn't try :P I do think however, that I, for example could explain some spiritual-ish concepts like "kukan" better with the aid of video clips. I also think having the more experienced members demonstrating their styles would not only bring a little more interest to the media section, but also serve as inspiration for younger (and older too!) members to get off their pc's and get into the practical side of what we promote here. So I think its a good idea....*Wonders if Silverdawn could trail DD to a pub and film him in a bar brawl! :D*

I just meant that it would give some younger newbies inspiration to run around (after just watching one of the videos someone made.)

Like if I made one...some newbie could watch it, then would run around yelling "OMFG I R KAN DO DA SHAOLIN KONG FEW!11" and it'd be irritating.  I just think it would be better to encourage them to get all of their martial arts knowledge from a qualified teacher; and continue nudging them in the right direction, as people have been here on veritas.

I dont recall anyone here saying "Hey, you; yeah, you, you should go to Karate for kids!  It's ub3r 1337!11".

October 06, 2005, 05:01:35 PM
Reply #23

Quantitativefool

• View Profile
Yeah, I think it would be nice to have a class but very hard to actually teach it and stuff..

But if they ever offer one, I'm definatley joining...

November 01, 2005, 12:09:11 AM
Reply #24

coreymin

• View Profile
    • WRCMA
Sorry to be so late in the discussion.  I am the founder of a martial arts research organization and we are going to conduct a Qigong class in the very near future.  We do have the videos, texts, and time to teach and we will only be teaching one form of Qigong, although there are many.

At the current time, we do not do too much online like video streaming, much of the work will be correspondence in nature.  And I do agree with DD that there are a lot of potential dangers.  We do charge for all the components of the course, and the student is to buy their own books.  If you are a serious student, (read:  willing to drive) there is help...

Let me know if in any way I can help or forward this idea to any member of veritas society.  Thanks.

Corey Minatani

November 01, 2005, 10:00:05 AM
Reply #25

Creature

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Psychopath
    • View Profile
    • Creature's Sanctuary forum (rest of site under construction)
We do charge for all the components of the course

Are you sure this is going to work well?  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with charging for your work and conducting a class is a lot of work, but I'd expect the majority people's thinking to be along the following lines: Why would I take an online course for the same money that I can take a real life course, where instructer would be in the same room with me realtime and thus would have a better chance to notice and correct any mistakes I make, etc?
<Kanifer> America invented MTV. 
<Shadowarrior13> Kanifer, shut up.
<Shadowarrior13> We don't want them knowing that.

"If you American types don't start doing a better job of choosing presidents, we're going to have to revoke your independence..."
-- Philosopher

November 01, 2005, 09:31:37 PM
Reply #26

coreymin

• View Profile
    • WRCMA
Creature:

I understand this position.  My read is this.  Anyone looking to learn online won't go to an instructor for the real deal.  Simple.  Time and schedules simply mix like oil and water.  We do a focused class with both a practical (hands on) approach and include a real historical and functional base.  We use our class as part of a degree program for martial artists looking to expand their skills.  Qigong is but a part of the martial art experience, by itself, it can be quite useless for the average person.

Our class will investigate and integrate these skills that can be functional for healing, defense, and for spiritual development.  Our class will be aimed at the person who cannot attend personal classes but would like to gain a good understanding and use of the art, nonetheless.

The structure is set of the class that requires discipline and will develop research skills.  The class is asynchronous so that you don't all have to be online at 3pm PST or whatever.  You do the work, turn in papers, and work on a forum such as this to ask questions and such.  We will even have chat included to network with the other peers.

I am currently under the tutelage of ChezNips, and together we are exploring the similarities of psi and Qi.  So this will be a great class regardless if you come from the martial side or the psi side of the avenue.  ChezNips has agreed to co-instruct the class, and will help correct papers and help tutor anyone with problems or issues.

The classes will start in January.  The class will be about $50, way less than most personal classes but way more fun!  We use all the tuition for future classes to our students.

Sincerely,

Corey Minatani

November 03, 2005, 10:03:59 AM
Reply #27

purpleslain

• View Profile
Beats Me!! I just joined and I don`t even know what that is or  any of that stuff!! I`m so lost! Umm, I do wonder, is there  any way i can get this info?