Author Topic: A Question of Classification  (Read 1429 times)

March 29, 2005, 10:55:08 PM
Read 1429 times

kodama93

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Would you consider Hatha Yoga [i.e. the aspects of yoga including pranayama (breathing exercises), and asana (stretching and poses)] to be an energy manipulation art, or purely physical arts which just happen to influence one's personal energy body.

Just curious. ;)

March 29, 2005, 11:39:21 PM
Reply #1

Silver_Archer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Prophet of Doom

• View Profile
Definately an energy manipulation art, just as much as Qigong, if not more.
<Forg> Everything is adjustable when you have a saw.

March 29, 2005, 11:58:23 PM
Reply #2

Rawiri

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Wandering Nomad

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
Definately an energy body art. It was NOT 'created' to be purely physical, the yogi's cared for their bodies alot, but that is not why yoga was practiced.

Hatha yoga has become watered down in the west, alot of teachers will only teach asanas, and even then, sometimes not properly...being that to "properly" perform an asana, you need to incorporate the breath and being in a meditative state, helps as well.

March 30, 2005, 12:42:19 AM
Reply #3

Darkduck

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Veritas' Nazgūl
    • View Profile
    • OMG VERITAS CLICK HEARE!
Quote from: Silver_Archer
Definately an energy manipulation art, just as much as Qigong, if not more.

Anything that has even a smidgeon to do with bodily energy = Qi Gong.
"Well, aside from sustaining massive internal injuries in a plane crash, and being chased by the army, the navy, and a troop of girl scouts, yeah, I'm, uh, just peachy."
~DD

March 30, 2005, 05:48:04 AM
Reply #4

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
I know not about what is called pranayama beyond your description, but by your description I would say it is likely energy manipulation to some degree.

Asana, once again by your description, sounds more like a physical thing which just happens to help out your energy body in the symbiotic way that all physical excercise helps the energy body and how all energy arts help the physical body.

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

March 30, 2005, 06:54:17 PM
Reply #5

Frozen

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• Personal Text
    Posting chief
    • View Profile
I don't think it's purely physical. Yoga pretty much effects everything. Your mind, your body, your energy. It influences... everything. It's like an extended system of therapy. Yoga puts like... a huge emphasis on body positions, breathing and the objectification of your body.

So... basically, yeah. I think yoga and everything about it is an energy art. It also has a lot of health effects, like Qi Gong.
* chirss was kicked by kobok (Denny Crane)

I CARVE EVERYTHING YOU SAY INTO MY LEFT ARM!
~ V

<ShoresofPluto> how often do u ignite fires with ur mind?
<kobok> On occasion.

[20:06] <kobok> XIII:  You wear your girlfriend's pants??
[20:06] <XIII> kobok: On occasion.

March 30, 2005, 08:10:32 PM
Reply #6

kodama93

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Thanks.  The reason that I was asking is that the watered-down stuff that I've come in contact with doesn't directly train the practitioner to do anything with their energy, and I was wondering if there was some important reason.

I have another question that spawned from this one, but I'm not sure if I should make a new thread, so I'll put it here.  Are there any asanas that are particularly harmonious with kundalini meditations?  I heard that inverted poses help in getting kundalini to rise.

March 31, 2005, 07:07:48 AM
Reply #7

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
kiwi kid msg'ed this to me in the chat, I guess he was too lazy to post it himself :P

[30D:03M:07:01:42] <`KiwiKid> Yes, the asanas do focus on the physical, but their main purpose (at least when they were "created") is to purify the nadis and develop the chakras and energy body.

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.