Author Topic: Focal Meditation  (Read 294599 times)

November 22, 2005, 11:52:48 PM
Reply #30

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Can we focus on the object in our mind?  For example, can I close my eyes and picture an object, and focus on that?  Would that be of any more or less benefit?

Yes, this works too.  It's the focus which is important for focal meditation, not the target.  External objects to focus on, especially alluring ones, can be much easier to work with when beginning, and provide a more potent method of regaining ones focus.  But focusing internally is more convenient in the long run, because you will always have your mind with you, even when you don't have a candle.

In addition to the candle being an object which naturally attracts attention, it provides an ideal transition to kinesis practice, and for this reason makes a particularly useful starting point.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 12:00:09 AM by kobok »
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

December 03, 2005, 01:15:13 PM
Reply #31

Nirioso

• View Profile
I have a question. It may depend on the person, but...

Would listening to some music help?

Or do you think that'd be too much of a distraction? :p

and please don't flame me for bringint the topic back to life. ): I hadn't looked at the last date..

December 04, 2005, 10:12:31 AM
Reply #32

Falcon

• Posts By Osmosis

• Vretsa Dcitoinray

• Personal Text
    Veritas Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
The point of Focal meditation is to concentrate on a single point, so music will distract you.

Normal meditation is fine to have a bit of music on in the background!
Finding some things difficult and need a extra hand, Apply for a mentor that's what were here for http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=9706.0

December 06, 2005, 04:20:21 PM
Reply #33

Nirioso

• View Profile
Oh.... that's sort of impossible for me to do. Its pretty noisy at my house.... maybe before bed when everyone else is sleeping...  :|

December 16, 2005, 04:31:09 AM
Reply #34

sarpesius

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Anything can be used to focus on.

If there is music focus on one aspect of the music.

You can focus on looking at a single spec of lint on the floor.

Having to fight off the music may increase your concentration.

You can practice mindfulness just walking down the street or doing anything. 

You can practice focusing on a single thought.

In the Middle Ages and Renaissance, the equivalent of shrinks were torturing and burning you.  Now you tell people to go to them and think you are being helpful.  What a fool you are.

January 24, 2006, 03:24:30 PM
Reply #35

amidos

• View Profile
    • animaxim.com
~TAO~
"Into a soul absolutely free
From thoughts and emotion,
Even the tiger finds no room
To insert its fierce claws.

Victory is for the one,
Even before the combat,
Who has no thought of himself,
Abiding in the Thoughtless state of True Origin."

The Taoist poet of a by-gone time stresses more and more on the achivement of the state of thoughtless purity. Clarity of sight and action, that is not rendered impure nor distracted by any way by the waves of thought, in the tranquil lake of Mind, seems to be the loftiest of spiritual ideals. Something akin to the "Nirvikalpam" state of Vedanta, or the beginning of Yoga Sutras of Seer Patanjali. "Yogas-Chitta_vritti_Nirodha"  ~  meaning,
"Yoga" is the method of obliterating all blemishes or ripples of thought from the mind lake, or Chitta.
Spread the spirit of friendship.

February 23, 2006, 08:24:06 PM
Reply #36

AngryLeprachaun

• Posts By Osmosis

• Freelance Leprechaun

• Personal Text
    VERITAS LEP
    • View Profile
I heard or read in this book awhile ago that evil spirits from the underworld or hell, could pass and stay in your body when doing deep meditation.  Is this true?

-AngryLep-
..::Believe::..

February 24, 2006, 08:02:53 PM
Reply #37

zaigon

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    I have been crushed, nothing left to do but rise
    • View Profile
AngryLeprachaun, I do not claim to be a meditation expect, heck, all i know is pretty much what i have read from this site, but I do not believe that would be true, or else someone would have mentioned it here or in another topic. If an evil spirit was to inhabit ones body while they are meditating then many of the people here would probably tell you NOT to meditate while it is quite the opposite. But i guess there is a possibility that i may be wrong. I have seen things on TV and such where, while people were meditating, supposedly spirits of the dead came and the meditating person would begin drawing or writing, supposedly with handwritting, writting style, or art style of the spirit that was pocessing their body or whatever. Not entirly sure that i believe it, but i'm not entirly sure what to believe these days.

Overall. I'd say no. If someone who has more experience can say otherwise then i'd listen to them.
V|e|r|i|t|a|s my antidrug

February 26, 2006, 08:47:48 AM
Reply #38

AngryLeprachaun

• Posts By Osmosis

• Freelance Leprechaun

• Personal Text
    VERITAS LEP
    • View Profile
Well, it does seem logical in a way though.  When you are meditating, you open you mind and let almost "anything past it".  Therefore, if you were meditating and an evil spirit happened to come and pass through your mind and somehow locked itself in your body, then you are so called pocessed.  Well, I would like to hear an experts point of view also.

-AngryLep-

February 26, 2006, 01:57:49 PM
Reply #39

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Well, it does seem logical in a way though.  When you are meditating, you open you mind and let almost "anything past it".  Therefore, if you were meditating and an evil spirit happened to come and pass through your mind and somehow locked itself in your body, then you are so called pocessed.  Well, I would like to hear an experts point of view also.

You let distractions pass by without accepting them, but in actuality, you are focusing and strengthening yourself while doing this.  In fact, if you note question 4.3 of the Psi FAQ, you'll see that meditation can actually improve your defense more rigorously and deeply than shielding.

Rather than worrying about being governed by evil spirits though, it is far more insightful to worry about not being in control of yourself much in the first place.  People who do not meditate have their lives and choices more frequently governed by distractions, while those who meditate properly end up in more consistent control of their own lives and actions.

March 03, 2006, 04:17:41 PM
Reply #40

AngryLeprachaun

• Posts By Osmosis

• Freelance Leprechaun

• Personal Text
    VERITAS LEP
    • View Profile
That is what I wanted to hear.  Thank you, Kobok.

-AngryLep-

May 21, 2006, 04:35:11 PM
Reply #41

Psionic

• View Profile
I have two simple questions I would like to ask regarding Focal Mediation.

1) Does the focal mediation becomes difficult or easier with age? People often starting out later in their lives, is there any difference in access Psi energy when much older?

2) Sometimes people may have physical limitation that interferes the focal mediation and what can they do about this?
  I refer to tinnitus (the audio malfunction ringing the ears) and having the body being stiff for long periods of time that could cause discomfort.

Thanks,
Nothing is your fault.
Everything is your responsibility.
-- Louix Dor Demprier

May 21, 2006, 09:15:09 PM
Reply #42

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
1) Does the focal mediation becomes difficult or easier with age? People often starting out later in their lives, is there any difference in access Psi energy when much older?

Age has no fundamental effect.  But there is a tendency for young people to not be used to sitting still for long, moreso in some cultures than in others.  This is made irrelevant by a little dedication and practice, after which one just becomes used to it.

2) Sometimes people may have physical limitation that interferes the focal mediation and what can they do about this?
  I refer to tinnitus (the audio malfunction ringing the ears) and having the body being stiff for long periods of time that could cause discomfort.

Fundamentally, tinnitus should have no more effect than you permit it to have, as this would be the same as any other background sensation that you learn to ignore as you are focusing on the target.  To make this easier for beginners, there are a few steps you could take which should reduce the effect of tinnitus while meditating, such as the presence of a metronome or of background white noise.

As for the body being stiff, find ways to make it comfortable.  You could even do focal meditation in a heated spa.  And if necessary it is acceptable to shift positions slightly every 10-15 minutes or so.  The distraction from this will be minimal and with practice you should be able to quickly return to your previous depth.

April 11, 2007, 02:23:45 PM
Reply #43

cloudrise

• View Profile
quick question. i just started on this and after a while the wall and stuff sitting behind the candle started to turn black and i couldnt see it. all i could see was the candle. but this effect only lasted for a few seconds before the background came back into focus. is this normal for a first timer??

April 11, 2007, 07:02:04 PM
Reply #44

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
This is perfectly normal for everybody and shows that you're doing the meditation properly (ie, you're not moving your eyes around or adjusting focus etc) In fact, as you continue to progress you'll probably notice a few trippy things like that happening. Just remember to keep gazing at the candle and don't get distracted as these occur due to the focus and will stop when you break that focus.
don't believe everything you read... especially if it comes from me.