Author Topic: Focal Meditation  (Read 294634 times)

April 11, 2007, 09:22:18 PM
Reply #45

Windsmover001

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
At the beggenning of the article, I think kobok hit the nail in the the wall, or how should I say it the neuron to spark...  Meditation is the way.  I also caution to the wind fro personal experience that that can open good and bad doors. You simply need to learn how to do it.  It's like anything in life, you either have a "knack" to learn it or you won't.  Some can be apprentices or masters.  You just have to put your mind to it, and you can do it.

In earlier posts it was asked if music can help this.  I think that depends on an individual basis.  Music can also be a learning experience.  I'd like to quote a few words from a song, if I may, and please correct me if I'm not allowed to do that.

...."the man who will cover for Don Juan's old soothsayer.  An appeassed has been reached with the teacher of the rich..."---Performed by  PET SHOP BOYS song title: "Don Juan" from the album "Alternative"
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:31:04 PM by Windsmover001 »

April 24, 2007, 12:33:05 PM
Reply #46

kingdom

• View Profile
what is meditation ive read lots of articles and i concluded that its just clearing your mind for a peirod of time but how does that help psiioncs

April 24, 2007, 09:26:07 PM
Reply #47

Felidae

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Meditation is a fairly broad term for a series of disciplines wich have the end result if noit the goal-some forms of meditation especially are almost anti-goal, and focusing on the goal rather than the practice in the rest is an issue- of developing the awareness. Since psionics is based upon leaning to use ones base awareness and then extend it outwards to explore the realm of consiousness and intersection with physical, meditation is of primary importance.

May 13, 2007, 03:54:06 PM
Reply #48

Dimentio

• View Profile
    • Krayzier's Krapshack
 Tinnitus was mentioned earlier.

Aside from white noise or a metronome, you could also try binaural beats. They have been shown by several studies to influence brainwaves, which is really good for beginners. Not to mention it could help block off background noise.

Gnaural is a free program that generates these beats. It runs under Windows and Linux, and can let you customize the beats however you wish. For those who don't want to download , go through the hassle of compiling it themselves, or those who use Macintosh OS X, there is also a java version. It's a bit like the Ganzfeld Meditation Applet. (But it doesn't have the cool swirls  :()

I have wondered about over-dependence though, so I suggest practicing without it as well.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 04:08:02 PM by Dimentio »

October 17, 2007, 08:18:34 AM
Reply #49

Frostlock

• Settling In

• View Profile
Sorry for ignoring the out of date thing..lets say i can now deep meditate easly and i do it very well..what would be the next step in learning psi?

November 22, 2007, 06:44:37 PM
Reply #50

Secret Rose

• View Profile
Tinnitus was mentioned earlier, I have tinnitus and vertigo (dizziness) and I don't seem to be bothered with that as long as I don't concentrate on it.  I don't know why but the past couple of days I've kind of been zoning out really quickly as if in meditation, for no reason.  Like I'll be putting something into the refrigerator and then I won't really be aware of my surroundings and time seems to pass by very slowly.  Or if I'm looking at something my eyes will automatically defocus from everything for awhile.  <---What does this mean?   

Also, when I get dizzy spells sometimes I'm almost automatically placed into a meditative state because I can't really focus at all on the things going around me, and I can't do anything but just sit and basically do nothing.  I can't process thought either.  But I'm positive this isn't exactly a meditative state. 

Sorry for the length of my post, but I have one more question, Would meditation possibly calm down an asthma attack?  Or would it be too hard to reach that state of mind in that condition?  I have recurring asthma and sometimes my medication does not always work. 

Thank you for your help!

~Secret Rose

April 13, 2008, 01:55:47 PM
Reply #51

BohmaN

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
I've heard from some people that letting your eyes focus on a distinct point could cause retinal damage if done too much. Is that true?

April 13, 2008, 05:54:57 PM
Reply #52

Bad Warrior

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
From simple biological view, it's not.
Focusing your view on a distant point is made by lens in your eye changing it's shape.
Unless you spend 5 years of nonstop focusing on distant shapes, nothing will happen.
Of course if after focusing you look at things close to you, to make your lens go to other shape.
You should look about the same amount of time at distant and close points through your life, and if you don't have any eye worsening genes and you eat well, your eyes should be good :)

[with age lenses tend to congeal (people say it's because you dont eat butter ) and you may see worse, at this point of view
"letting your eyes focus on a distinct point could cause retinal damage if done too much" but only if you do it really much]

Do you understand, or should I post here how lenses in eyes shape to let you focus on distant and close shapes?
In vino veritas!

September 24, 2008, 12:33:02 AM
Reply #53

wneo1982

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
now i know why i was awake for 4 contiues days :)

October 15, 2008, 12:43:15 PM
Reply #54

supadude

• Posts By Osmosis

• Super Villain

• View Profile
Ive always had a problem with meditation, i never seem to be able to go into that meditative state of peace, i know your not waiting for any particular outcome of it, it just seems that i can go in, but never any deeper =/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnA8GUtXpXY&feature=player_embedded
A must see study for all!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVWUFDDyAHmC2k1m2rnGvQw
My youtube channel

The proud owner of the 200,000th post made on Veritas.

October 15, 2008, 02:27:57 PM
Reply #55

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
    • I'm a trendy blogger now.
There seems to be this common misconception about meditation round these parts. The esoteric "ZOMG I can meditate for 12 hours on end and no one can interrupt me while I do the splits and MEDITATE and find my place in the universe blah blah blah" is a meditation saved for Monks and Yogis who do nothing BUT meditate for 12 hours a day. You will not achieve perfect Zen meditation in 15 minutes, or even 15 months. Look at 15+ years to get the meditation everyone thinks we are talking about on Veritas.

Focal meditation is just that. It is sitting down for a bit and clearing your mind of everything but one singular thought process. In this article, the example is clearing your mind of everything except the flame you are staring at. When you are attempting kinesis, your single thought is on kinesis. When you are building a construct, you think of nothing but the construct. You are developing focus on one thing. It will not be perfect in one day. You may even struggle for a few moments at a time after practicing for a few months, but if you are focusing better after fifteen minutes of following kobok's advice, you have succeeded in at least a small way and are on the fast track to improvement.
Join my Folding@Home team and do some good! #159490

Details at http://folding.stanford.edu/

October 16, 2008, 11:14:37 AM
Reply #56

supadude

• Posts By Osmosis

• Super Villain

• View Profile
lol, i see your point, but couldnt hemi-sync cd's help with that?
My youtube channel

October 17, 2008, 03:29:22 AM
Reply #57

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
    • I'm a trendy blogger now.
Give them a try. Some people say they work, others say they are a distraction. My only suggestion would be a word of caution against relying on a crutch to meditate. It'd be like a band that got really good while they were high, and then when their big show came up, they couldn't find any drugs so the show sucked. Sure, maybe the drugs inspired their creativity, but without it, they lost everything.

That's probably not the best metaphor, but I think you get the idea.
Join my Folding@Home team and do some good! #159490

Details at http://folding.stanford.edu/

October 23, 2008, 08:16:53 AM
Reply #58

supadude

• Posts By Osmosis

• Super Villain

• View Profile
Give them a try. Some people say they work, others say they are a distraction. My only suggestion would be a word of caution against relying on a crutch to meditate. It'd be like a band that got really good while they were high, and then when their big show came up, they couldn't find any drugs so the show sucked. Sure, maybe the drugs inspired their creativity, but without it, they lost everything.

That's probably not the best metaphor, but I think you get the idea.
yes, but you could look at the crutch as a help for a man too weak to walk, so he uses the crutches to support him until he is able to stand on his own.
My youtube channel

January 01, 2009, 05:31:19 PM
Reply #59

disciple of the ages

• Settling In

• View Profile
I never knew this type of meditation existed, but I did this all the time as a child. I had very bad ADD (still do :p) but I would always focus on a specific light in my room and everything else would grow exceedingly dark, until nothing else existed in my visual area. In this time, there were many concepts that came to me. I should try doing this again with the candle. Thanks for the original post kobok!
  If you're passing by, feel free to give me a click every so often!

A wise man speaks because he has something to say, a fool, because he must say something. ~ Plato