Home
Forums
Chat
Help
Search
Retro
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 08:08:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:

Advanced search
215199 Posts in 15337 Topics by 19777 Members - Latest Member: - Drew Most online today: 141 - most online ever: 430 (June 28, 2007, 02:58:51 PM)
+  The Veritas Society
|-+  Academic Areas
| |-+  Articles
| | |-+  Psi and Mental Abilities
| | | |-+  Focal Meditation
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Focal Meditation  (Read 85876 times)
kobok
Veritas Council
Tech Team
Posts By Osmosis

Veritas Council

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2004, 04:04:28 AM »

Focal Meditation

The role of focal meditation in psi

Meditation is central to the practice of psi.  Gaining meaningful control over your psi abilities will only come through steady and regular meditation.

There are two major classes of meditation, void meditation and focal meditation.  Void meditation is an extended blanking of the mind, in which one attempts to have no thought and no awareness in order to clear one's mind and open oneself up to new understanding.  Focal meditation is a deep concentration of the mind, in which one attempts to focus all thought and awareness on a single thing, either an object or a concept.

For the purposes of psi, focal meditation is the form of meditation which is of primary interest.  A psion uses focal meditation to gain the depth of inner self-control necessary to achieve clarity in the sensing abilities and control over the kinetic abilities.

It's certainly possible to perform a psionic act without any meditation.  It's even possible to perform a psionic act completely by accident.  But any would-be psion who wishes to gain consistent and deep control of the psi abilities must use focal meditation to achieve this.

The most basic focal meditation is simply to select an object and stare at that object, focusing all of your thoughts and awareness on that object.  Any object will do for this; it can be as simple as a spot on the wall or a dot drawn on paper.  The best objects to select are the ones which help to draw your attention.  One example of an object which does this for many people would be a crystal.  However, the best object for focal meditation in psi seems to be the candle flame.

Candle meditation

The following exercise will be described in terms of a candle flame.  If you at all can, you should seek out a candle and perform this with an actual candle flame, as the flame does an excellent job of drawing your attention and preparing you for later work in psi.  If you are unable to do this, substitute the flame in the following description for the focal object of your choice.

Take a candle into a dark quiet room, and place it somewhere free of clutter so you do not become easily distracted while meditating.  Light the candle, and then sit comfortably one or two meters away from the candle.

Relax your body and mind as much as you can, and watch the candle flame.  Do not strain your eyes while focusing on the candle flame, as the focusing you will be doing is in your mind, not in your eyes.  Clear all of your thoughts, and focus them only on the flame.  When thoughts come to your mind, be passive toward your thoughts, allowing them to pass over you and through you, but do not acknowledge the thoughts.  Keep the entirety of your awareness only on the candle flame.

Continue to focus on the candle flame for around 45-60 minutes consecutively.  If you find yourself distracted and losing focus, simply correct your focus and awareness back to the candle flame, and continue your practice.  With practice, focal meditation will become easier, and you will be able to reach deep meditative states much more quickly.

Deep meditation

After meditating with complete focus on the candle flame for a while, you will begin to enter deeper meditative states.  At first focal meditation will simply lead you toward a calm and quiet state, followed later by a deeper collected focus.  When your focus becomes more complete and you enter deeper meditative states, you will begin to experience tingling, buzzing, or vibrating sensations, which will also be followed by feelings of detachment.  When these sensations occur, do not be frightened by them, but instead accept these sensations and welcome them.  Allow those sensation to grow stronger as you fall into deeper and deeper meditative states.

Relaxing after meditation

When you have finished meditating, you should try to gradually return yourself to a normal state of mind.  First begin by relaxing your mind, so that other thoughts can enter.  Then you should calmly and slowly breathe in and out, and as you breathe in bring your awareness inward, and as you breathe out flush your awareness out, taking any excess energy with you down into the ground.  When you have finished breathing in and out a few times like this, return your awareness to your normal surroundings and go about the rest of your day.

The added benefits of focal meditation

Psions use focal meditation to learn mastery of psi, but the benefits of focal meditation can flow throughout much of the psion's life.  Regular practice of focal meditation yields greater mental focus in other cognitive activities.  It also teaches greater mental discipline and self-control when facing daily struggles.  Focal meditation brings a depth of confidence and awareness about the self which enhances interaction with others.  And finally, focal meditation is the beginning of the psi philosophy that changing something in the external world always begins by first changing something within oneself.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:17:46 PM by kobok » Logged

Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.
Adept
Posting chief
Posts By Osmosis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 07:02:18 PM »

This type of medatation is also helpful for the magician isnt it?

Prophecy
Theurgist
Teacher Emeritus
Posts By Osmosis

Veritas Teacher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 08:37:12 PM »

Meditation is helpful for anyone, with few exceptions.

vashts
A Veritas Regular

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 06:53:38 AM »

So what is void meditation good for?

!  UNDER CONSTRUCTION  !
Please refresh the page
Falcon
Vretsa Dcitoinray
Posts By Osmosis

Veritas Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 06:21:29 AM »

Did you know if you perform void meditation you don't need as much sleep at night because your mind is resting.

I liked it kobok keep up the good work.

Finding some things difficult and need a extra hand, Apply for a mentor that's what were here for http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=9706.0
Oracle
Settling In

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 10:50:03 AM »

excellent Kobok, great article, once again, my stock of Advil dropped dramatically, but it was a good article.

Those that were will never see
That we that are will never be
What those that were
Were hoping us to be.Wink
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

runescaper12@msn.com
psychicpenguin
Greenhorn
Settling In

Greenhorn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 04:19:20 PM »

Great, Kobok! Found it really useful. Maybe someone could write an article or start a thread suggesting some good places to meditate or how to find good places to meditate?

Somebody tell me.
Why it feels more real when I dream than when I am awake. - Kid

Paint chips and powerlines: my childhood rocks! - Fighter

A smile goes a long way

8-----------------------------------------)
Odisirus
Greenhorn
Settling In

The Blind Taveler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 07:24:46 PM »

Very interesting. it's wierd though, once, i was focusing on the psiwheel, and i found i had slipped into deep meditation with out much trying, though when i realized this, i slipped out and lost focus

One never needs their humor as much as when they argue with a fool.
Fortitudo Dei
A Veritas Regular

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 06:08:45 PM »

If a flame hurts your eyes, can the use of a mandala be a substitute?

"To pity distress is human. To relieve it is godlike."
kobok
Veritas Council
Tech Team
Posts By Osmosis

Veritas Council

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 12:24:06 PM »

Quote from: Silver_Haze
If a flame hurts your eyes, can the use of a mandala be a substitute?

If the flame hurts your eyes, you're probably sitting too close.  Sit back farther.  This exercise should put no strain on your eyes, as the focus is in your mind, not in your eye.

Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.
Iavas
A Veritas Regular

Contradictory

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 09:29:49 PM »

I think what Silver_Haze means is the same effect you get at staring at the sun. When you stare at any source of light for a long time, focusing your eyes or not, the photoreceptive cone cells in the back of your eyes are bombarded with energy, producing the negative image "burned into your eyes" that lasts for a while after you stop staring. It could also make your eyes feel really tired, even if they were unfocused.

Now, what I'm interested in, is void meditation. Does it really help your mind rest faster, thus decreasing optimal sleep time?

QUOTES:
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
-- William Shakespeare, Hamlet
Rawiri
Wandering Nomad
Veritas Teacher
Posts By Osmosis

Veritas Teacher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 02:38:50 AM »

Yes, void meditation can do this, but it is not being at the void state itself that does this, it is getting there. Throughout everyday you are bombarded with thoughts, a few of these you pay attention to and all the rest are "stacked away" on shelves.

Now usually through sleep your mind looks at all these thoughts, but there are still alot that are not looked at usually and tese build up. Before one can properly reach a void state, without blatantly ignoring all thoughts, which I have found just to create troubles and annoyance with meditation full stop. One has to watch one's thoughts and allow the "shelves" to be emptied, so to speak, then, once your mind has looked at all the thoughts, a sudden clamness will overcome you.

Now when in this calmness, your mind can truly rest, no need to organize thoughts etc, along with this, when you sleep your mind will have less thoughts to overlook, so can spend more time actually resting.
ABustedWatch
Greenhorn

Greenhorn

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 01:18:50 PM »

Excellent article. So simply stated, yet the effort is quite a bit involved. I thought I had good focal meditation, but I will continue my practicing.
SleepWalker
Pool Boy
Posts By Osmosis

Pinkus Elephantus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 07:21:14 PM »

Very nice I feel I've seen it before, but written differently
void meditation has beneficial effects also does it not?
focusing on nothing is much the same as focusing on something correct?
One is assumed more difficult perhaps?

How can you explain freedom, never having experienced it.
From the moment we ar born we conform to the physical world. In narrow awareness of all that there is to percieve.
Try Tachyon[/URL
kakkarot
0. The Fool... Inverted?
Posts By Osmosis

Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 05:52:39 PM »

Um, one is assumed more impossible. You don't focus on nothing in void meditation, you empty yourself and become nothing.

~kakkarot

Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: