Author Topic: Enchantment From the Inside-Out (by Kettle)  (Read 7456 times)

December 27, 2004, 03:48:59 AM
Read 7456 times

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Enchantment From the Inside-Out
by Kettle

The aim of this article is to discuss an enchantment method that will be referred to as “inside to outside” enchantment. In this style of enchantment the item is imbued with the intent of the creator, and this intent is released in the form of vibrations. These vibrations will then bring about the desired effect. This would be the opposite of another method of enchantment where a certain spell hinges around a certain object, perhaps granting the holder of the object abilities (this will not be discussed in detail within this article). As opposed the object itself having any power it is merely a trigger, a catalyst, it comes from the outside world to inside the user.

In referencing a dictionary you would find that to “enchant” merely means “to cast a spell on”. Though this is technically true it lacks definitiveness. For the purposes of this article the definition given by Prophecy in his “Magic Terminology” article will be used:

“Enchantment – To enchant an object is to charge it with a specific intent, such as protection, health, etc.”

“to charge with a specific intent”, this is important, for as opposed to having something as general as “a spell”, we are instead using this item for a very specific and well defined purpose.

Your first step in the enchantment process will of course be deciding exactly what your specific intent is. Once this is done you come to a very important step in the enchantment process, choosing the item you wish to enchant.

Choosing Your Item

Choosing the item you wish to enchant is important for the larger purpose of durability. More often than not you will want your enchanted item to last for a long period of time, and not be completely destroyed when drop it, or sit on it.

In terms of durability metal is going to be the best bet, wood is fine, paper works, however it can be risky.

In regards to this style of enchantment there is the matter of containment of the intent within the object (will be discussed in further depth later on), it has to be able to “hold” the enchantment. Once again metal is preferable. Iron first, and then steel would be your better choices, gold and silver work fine as well. Once again wood will work fine, and will actually be easier to transfer into (as it was once living), however you will come to find that on a long term holding situation iron is best.

For these reasons you would be lucky to have access to a cutting torch and a welder.

I will now go into the actual method of enchantment. I should state at this time I come from a Qigong background and will commonly be using words like qi, however the principles that will be used are fairly unrestrictive and should not cause complications in regards to other methodologies.

There are some basic things that must be understood before we continue:

Not only will qi be lead by intent but it will stay in an area given a strong enough intent.

Qi is also capable of holding/storing intent, but not forever as entropy would dictate (this holding of intent is commonly referred to as programming).

Intent is often manifested in the form of vibrations. After it is stored, and subsequently released, it will most likely manifest itself in the form of vibrations.

Try to keep these things in mind.

The Enchantment Process

The first stage in the “inside to outside” method of enchantment is the transference and storage of qi. Once you’ve chosen something suitable as an object (a ring, charm on a necklace, car muffler to an 88’ Volvo, etc.) qi must be lead into it and held there. Leading qi into an object is not hard but keeping it there must be done properly. This is reasonably simple and likely does not require any elaboration. If you don’t know how to do this you shouldn’t really bother attempting it.

One stipulation I like to put upon my enchantments is this; “The qi that I give is sealed to this item, forever, however it is still under my control”. This should be the secondary intent you have while qi is being transferred into the object (the actual transmission being the primary intent). This allows the item to receive the qi, as well as keep it bonded for as long as possible.

Once enough qi has been stored within the item the storage of intent can begin. You could quite possibly alter the stored qi using your intent, however I find it’s preferential to store intent into new qi and transfer that qi into the item.

Because we are merely releasing intent it must be done in such a way that the intent released is affecting what you want it to be affecting. Basically you’re programming the qi to do something, and instead of letting it do so, you move it right into the item. So if you want to enchant an item to heal your arm, you focus as if you were actually healing your arm and just re-direct it into the item.

This whole idea may seem useless because it would be much easier just to be affecting the target directly, as apposed to going through a secondary source, which inherently causes a loss in overall energy. This would be the case, however this type of enchantment is made such that you are storing up large amounts of intent to be released at a later time. Maybe your arm isn’t injured right now, but it might be in the future, and by using this method you will be prepared for it. As well you may be in so much pain that you lack the focus to heal yourself of your own accord.

If the first enchantment process (“will receive the qi I give it”) was done properly the item will receive the qi without any problems, because * lightbulb * that’s what it’s for. This first enchantment, like all organized systems, is subject to entropy, and therefore it must be re-affirmed by frequent repetition (this is the same with the second enchantment as well).

Now you might be thinking, “why would I bother with so much repetition?”. Well, I shall tell you: The very strength of your enchantment is defined by its repetition. Any serious martial artist can tell you about the three R’s: repetition, repetition, and repetition. When you release stored intent it will come out as a vibration. The more qi that is stored within the item, the stronger the vibration, and the more effect the item will have. No less important is the fact that you might get the bright idea that you can simply ask the item to do something immensely hard, and the meagre amount of intent stored within the item will be nowhere near enough to cover the task.

Truthfully there is a fair amount enchantment strength gained in the skill level of the enchanter, however there are some particulars that come along with this style of enchantment:

Part of the benefit to this method is that it is in fact a training tool of it’s own. By repeatedly focusing your intent on a regular basis your focus will increase and you will be capable of generating stronger intent, to say the least you grow along with the enchantment. As well over time you will notice the actual effect, being the same every time, will become very well defined within your mind. Because of this it will become very easy to generate strong intent in regards to the enchantment. These are both reasons that I write “the strength of your enchantment is defined by its repetition”.

As previously stated it’s all about the amount of intent released. To be released, something must first be sealed, and this is very important to the whole process. If you enchant an item to heal you, you don’t want it trying to constantly do that. First of all you might not be injured, secondly it’s distracting, and thirdly that only represents a greater loss of energy without any purpose. So we seal it off. You can add a stipulation to saying “when I release this intent it will spill forth”, but personally I’ve never done that because it would distract me from the purity of my intent, which is often not expressed in words while I’m enchanting in this manner.

Now we’ve re-affirmed the first process, and then the actual enchantment, you then come to fully understand the seal, that it will hold back the vibrations of the intent, and when you command “release”, the intent/vibrations will spill forth.  Understand this without words, and with complete focus, then transfer that focus directly onto the object. This is a very secure and reliable method for sealing intent.

There is another benefit I found to this method of enchantment, that being; through a long time build-up you may find the item becomes capable of doing something you would not be capable of doing by yourself. The item can become more skilful than you in its area of usage. So in three years time you may not be capable of regenerating damaged skin cells, but that item you’ve been crafting might just be able to.

To supplement the item I have found it is useful to use a spell to “help grease the wheels”. As stated at the beginning of this article such a spell would work from the outside to the inside, complimenting the enchantment. You could say the enchantment and the spell sort of “meet somewhere in the middle”.

The spell itself is quite simple (suggest reading Prophecy’s article on “Spell Creation”). You will be using intent that will be almost exactly the same as the original enchantment, however it will likely be less specific. For example, if you were to create an item that would help protect you, your spell would be along the lines of “this item will help protect me”. Or let’s say it’s a healing enchantment, it would be “this item will help to heal me”. The spell does not need to be very specific, something general will do.

To use an analogy, this method of dual enchantment would be comparable to walking up to a guarded door and pronouncing “I will be going through that door!”, and the guard saying back to you “Yes you most certainly will”, and then opening the door for you and letting you in.

In closing, I wish you the best of luck in your enchantments. And remember, as long as you tried as best you can, it will never be a waste.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.