Author Topic: Self Mastery  (Read 38351 times)

November 12, 2010, 10:56:11 AM
Reply #45

Violet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your friendly neighborhood Verigeek.
    • View Profile
If we are to call the neurologically-programmed urges in animals 'desire', it would only be fair to call the programmed urges in machines the same thing.

November 12, 2010, 08:38:50 PM
Reply #46

Wren

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I'm going to throw down with Maslow on this one. The Pyramid of Needs seems like the saner option when compared to the various iterations on the theme of "angel on the right shoulder; devil on the left." The me that seeks to continue living by procuring food and shelter is simpler, more vital, and less "socially restrained" than the me that seeks self-actualization. Does that mean that it is bad to want to eat and that I should become a Jain Saint by starving myself while reciting mantra for the sake of all sentient beings? Some would say so; a few have even done so, but in this case I'm more willing to adopt the biological android simile from recent psychology. The levels of the pyramid are just like levels of priority and as the priority increase, so does the drasticness of response possible to ellict. "The Machine Inside" becomes simply a set of subroutines that may be evoked in the improper places to do things they were not built to do thanks to funky coding, but they aren't evil alien space-demons. We can re-code to make the habitual sub-routines more efficient at doing their job, freeing up processing space for the important stuff, like Life, the Universe, and Everything, while the sub-controllers keep the Doritos input constant. It's even possible to fiddle with the priority settings, but like always, the factory settings are the only ones tested to avoid crashes and latent bugs waking up and flying into the vacuum tubes.

Viva Metaprogramming. Viva Magic.

I don't know a lick of code, so if my jargon got me eaten by a grue, I'll happily edit to save face.  :wink:
Maybe Mercury is having his way with my speech patterns? *shrug*
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:59:29 PM by Wren »

November 13, 2010, 07:50:54 AM
Reply #47

Dancing_Crow

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Jai Guru Deva Om
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
I'm going to throw down with Maslow on this one. The Pyramid of Needs seems like the saner option when compared to the various iterations on the theme of "angel on the right shoulder; devil on the left." The me that seeks to continue living by procuring food and shelter is simpler, more vital, and less "socially restrained" than the me that seeks self-actualization. Does that mean that it is bad to want to eat and that I should become a Jain Saint by starving myself while reciting mantra for the sake of all sentient beings? Some would say so; a few have even done so, but in this case I'm more willing to adopt the biological android simile from recent psychology. The levels of the pyramid are just like levels of priority and as the priority increase, so does the drasticness of response possible to ellict. "The Machine Inside" becomes simply a set of subroutines that may be evoked in the improper places to do things they were not built to do thanks to funky coding, but they aren't evil alien space-demons. We can re-code to make the habitual sub-routines more efficient at doing their job, freeing up processing space for the important stuff, like Life, the Universe, and Everything, while the sub-controllers keep the Doritos input constant. It's even possible to fiddle with the priority settings, but like always, the factory settings are the only ones tested to avoid crashes and latent bugs waking up and flying into the vacuum tubes.

Viva Metaprogramming. Viva Magic.

I don't know a lick of code, so if my jargon got me eaten by a grue, I'll happily edit to save face.  :wink:
Maybe Mercury is having his way with my speech patterns? *shrug*

I like this metaphor and approach. I think that's what I was really trying to say - thanks for reading my mind. :)
"Allow the beauty and grace of what you love BE what you DO and KNOW."

November 13, 2010, 06:44:07 PM
Reply #48

Wren

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
What are cyborgs for if not to utilize advanced algorithmic processing sequences in order to accurately map complex hypothetical situations in a manner indistinguishable from functional augury?  :)