Author Topic: Self Mastery  (Read 38609 times)

April 19, 2007, 11:53:38 PM
Reply #30

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
No, I believe it's quite literal.
don't believe everything you read... especially if it comes from me.

April 20, 2007, 03:51:21 AM
Reply #31

Wonderland

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    ISIS
    • View Profile
    • My blog space (just getting started 06/07)
You make a good point, in a very general sense.  I just wrote out a bunch of stuff [in this post] that would make sense to fundamentalist Christians and deleted it.  There probably aren't very many people so indoctrinated reading this article to the end and need to have their "hands held".   

Though I would ask you, Tsumaru, if you don't mind, what is the significance behind your screen name?  I have read many of your posts and am curious.  Feel free to respond via PM if this is too personal a question for general eyes.  I apparently haven't gotten the concept of PM down very well as of yet.  I thought it meant postmodernization? :rolleyes:
Yeeesh!  Apparently I forgot the signature changes on all posts....AND until you change it again...oh well enough then...sorry 'bout that

April 20, 2007, 07:18:33 AM
Reply #32

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
"I would like to suggest that, perhaps, as it is used herein, the word "animal" does not, necessarily, refer to animals" By the typical scientific definition of animal, humans are basically included in the categorization. It's when psychology or religion throw their definitions in that there are differences.

From dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/animal
an·i·mal      /ˈænəməl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[an-uh-muhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1.   any member of the kingdom Animalia, comprising multicellular organisms that have a well-defined shape and usually limited growth, can move voluntarily, actively acquire food and digest it internally, and have sensory and nervous systems that allow them to respond rapidly to stimuli: some classification schemes also include protozoa and certain other single-celled eukaryotes that have motility and animallike nutritional modes.
2.   any such living thing other than a human being.
3.   a mammal, as opposed to a fish, bird, etc.
4.   the physical, sensual, or carnal nature of human beings; animality: the animal in every person.
5.   an inhuman person; brutish or beastlike person: She married an animal.
6.   thing: A perfect job? Is there any such animal?
–adjective
7.   of, pertaining to, or derived from animals: animal instincts; animal fats.
8.   pertaining to the physical, sensual, or carnal nature of humans, rather than their spiritual or intellectual nature: animal needs.

[Origin: 1300–50; ME (< OF) < L, n. deriv. (with loss of final vowel and shortening of ā) of animāle, neut. of animālis living, animate, equiv. to anim(a) air, breath + -ālis -al1; E adj. also directly < L animālis]

From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal
Characteristics

Animals have several characteristics that set them apart from other living things. Animals are eukaryotic and usually multicellular (although see Myxozoa), which separates them from bacteria and most protists. They are heterotrophic, generally digesting food in an internal chamber, which separates them from plants and algae. They are also distinguished from plants, algae, and fungi by lacking cell walls. All animals are motile, if only at certain life stages.

So the use of the term "animal" in the article to refer to the non-divine portion of mankind's being is quite literal.

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

April 20, 2007, 10:38:45 AM
Reply #33

Oriens Lvx Lucis

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Man is, at least from the physical perspective, merely a highly evolved animal.  The ability to concentrate on a certain point on a wall for many hours at a time is in itself, while not apparently practical, a far more advanced use of concentration and attention than can be seen manifested by another animal.

The word "animal" can be used in the sense of a metaphor:

More "animalistic parts of the soul," for example, is synonymous with the literal "vulgar parts of the soul."  The soul is not an animal nor is any part of it an animal, but the term "animalistic" is suitable to term vulgar areas in contrast with those erudite as vulgarity, being lower than piousness, can be paralleled with an animal and man.

It may also be used as a literal word.  An animal is physically, and from what is observed, mentally lower than a human being.  Therefore, "animals, not gods" can be used to compare animals literally with humans as gods or metaphorically to show the animalistic areas of the soul and the more "pure" ones.

Either interpretation suffices.

April 20, 2007, 10:16:00 PM
Reply #34

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Though I would ask you, Tsumaru, if you don't mind, what is the significance behind your screen name?  I have read many of your posts and am curious.  Feel free to respond via PM if this is too personal a question for general eyes.  I apparently haven't gotten the concept of PM down very well as of yet.  I thought it meant postmodernization? :rolleyes:
Haha, postmodernization. I actually chuckled out loud at that one.

Anyway, there is no secret nor significance to my username. In fact, I've spoken about it a number of times. Here is an interesting topic:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=7699.0
In a nutshell though, I just basically pulled it out of my ass because I wanted something Japanesey sounding. I had no idea it was a real Japanese word at all when I made it.
Is there something that you consider to seem significant about the name/word?

April 22, 2007, 11:12:06 AM
Reply #35

Wonderland

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    ISIS
    • View Profile
Tsumaru, I guess it's a good thing you pulled it out of your ass, cuz it must have been "plugged up".  I chuckled out loud at that one, myself.  When I first came to Veritas, I never read any chat stuff until after I registered, so I had an impression of you being a young, androgynous, martial arts warrior.  FYI - I use androgynous like yin and yang, not in a "bad" way, though I figure you already know that.  To me, it is a compliment, and I hope it is to you, too.  Just by spelling I associated it with tsunami, which, when you think about it, is also something one gets as a result from being clogged or plugged up.  It works on all levels!  I love it when I think I made something up and it turns out it has a very interesting significance, after all.  There are no coincidences.

Also, thanks to Oriens L.L., for putting my vague ideas into a much clearer and more informative post.  Sometimes I just think I know everything.   :wink:
Yeeesh!  Apparently I forgot the signature changes on all posts....AND until you change it again...oh well enough then...sorry 'bout that

April 23, 2007, 12:14:23 AM
Reply #36

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
When I first came to Veritas, I never read any chat stuff until after I registered, so I had an impression of you being a young, androgynous, martial arts warrior.
*shrugs* I try not to put too many classifications on myself. You'll have to ask someone who knows me better whether that really adds up or not. I'd like to think there's a bit more to me then two adjectives and a noun though. =P

April 25, 2007, 12:22:08 PM
Reply #37

Wonderland

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    ISIS
    • View Profile
No doubt.  I would hope so, too.  I was just going off of the icon and name at the time.  That was then.  As for now, I am still just learning, so...how does "totally hot and in control" sound? 

August 08, 2007, 06:03:26 AM
Reply #38

queen of the south

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    WTF?????
    • View Profile
    • Mind2win
And there I was thinking all this time that I have been trying to klose weight all my life!
But behind the facade of this innocent looking diet In actual fact I was learning how to master myself!!!!
Incredible!!!!  :cool:
Changing your mind will change the world,World peace,Love,Happiness,Health,Abundance-these things are obtainable right here,right now.

March 18, 2008, 04:11:34 PM
Reply #39

Draconic Feathers

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    You are Me and I am You; I'll always Be with You
    • View Profile
    • My art work
Following our Will and Wind, we may just go where no one's been

Solve et Coagula

Continue Expanding Consciousness...

aeresvistaas.daportfolio.com

April 03, 2009, 09:46:03 AM
Reply #40

Violet

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Your friendly neighborhood Verigeek.
    • View Profile
I've got a question about point 5:
The IIH of Franz Bardon said something similair, like 'thinking about your work when you're at work and home when you're at home.'
My question is, would it be a problem to think about things in your spiritual/magick development during these 'mundane' activities?
Because since I've been working with Magick and Yoga, I tend to think about it the whole day, even when I'm at school and doing my homework.
So, would this be a problem for my concentration, and should I really be able to stop thinking about these things?

~Tempestum

April 03, 2009, 10:18:47 AM
Reply #41

Draconic Feathers

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    You are Me and I am You; I'll always Be with You
    • View Profile
    • My art work
I've got a question about point 5:
The IIH of Franz Bardon said something similair, like 'thinking about your work when you're at work and home when you're at home.'
My question is, would it be a problem to think about things in your spiritual/magick development during these 'mundane' activities?
Because since I've been working with Magick and Yoga, I tend to think about it the whole day, even when I'm at school and doing my homework.
So, would this be a problem for my concentration, and should I really be able to stop thinking about these things?

~Tempestum

Depends...is it hurting your practice? Can you not help but constantly think about such things? Does it bother you when you try not to? Test yourself
Following our Will and Wind, we may just go where no one's been

Solve et Coagula

Continue Expanding Consciousness...

aeresvistaas.daportfolio.com

April 03, 2009, 02:29:12 PM
Reply #42

Rawiri

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Wandering Nomad

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile

Yes. If your mind can easily go to one focus - but then cannot remove from it and attach to something else...then your mind is not controlled. It is just running along a new groove of concentration you have formed for it, beyond your control. Being able to focus your mind on your so called "mundane" affairs is grounding, and prevents you being to airy-fairy headed. The only time you can EVER make a decision is when you are living in the now, and daydreaming about things not here yet (or already done) - unless deliberate and earnest thought - is a waste of your 'mental resources.' There are some cases when you might add a 'thought' that you want to always be going on, such as the idea of everyone being an aspect of God in karma yogis. But even then, there should be control. At the moment, you are a slave, not a master. And "the slaves shall ever serve."

November 10, 2010, 07:50:34 PM
Reply #43

Dancing_Crow

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Jai Guru Deva Om
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
I would substitute the phrase/mental construct "animal' for machine. In my belief system, animals have souls and as such are just as capable of being my teacher as any other animal out there. (humans included).

Machines on the other hand don't have souls. I may have the spelling wrong but I believe the Russian Mystic Gudjureff talked about the "robots" or "machines" within us needing to be purged.

Are you a man or a machine?
"Allow the beauty and grace of what you love BE what you DO and KNOW."

November 11, 2010, 01:31:28 PM
Reply #44

Mindlessinvalid

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Crazy and Can't Get out of Bed
    • View Profile
animalism refers to that which compels you, rather than you compelling it.

To be animalistic is to give into your desires, machines don't have desires by your reasoning and therefore are unsuitable for this analogy.

I can direct you to some psychological studies showing how animals let certain factors such as food or comfort compel them. It just makes the analogy we're using all the more valid.
Clothes make the man, and naked people have little or no say in society.