Author Topic: Self Mastery  (Read 38063 times)

November 21, 2004, 09:24:41 PM
Reply #15

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Ah. I must have skipped that at the end by accident. My mistake. =P
don't believe everything you read... especially if it comes from me.

November 26, 2004, 07:18:25 AM
Reply #16

Raven

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Ah, beautiful Prophecy, just outstanding. Btw, does music apply to these subconscious interfierences?
Im going to keep wearing black until there's something darker...

November 26, 2004, 02:41:42 PM
Reply #17

Prophecy

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Theurgist

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
Music can, yes.

December 06, 2004, 06:18:12 AM
Reply #18

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
Jus to expand on kobok's comments, I think the progression I would advocate would be mental + physical = spiritual, if that makes sense. In any case, this is still a great piece. ~Kouji
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

May 04, 2005, 08:56:22 PM
Reply #19

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
One word: Fantastic.

If one thinks this is to "harsh", maybe its just the wake-up call they need.

May 04, 2005, 09:27:53 PM
Reply #20

NightSpirit

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Nice article. One only needs to step outide their comfort zone to truely be free of their fears....then take their first steps to self mastery!!

May 10, 2005, 07:25:49 PM
Reply #21

fompin

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
so, i hav a question... HOW ru supposed 2 "punish yourself"?? in my opinion, u r tellin people the rong thing. they could misinterperate in a BAD, BAD way... i kno sum that dont want to slip bak in2 hurting themselvs:(... but, any way, all im sayin is, try 2 b more careful next article & think of the readers. im not trying 2 b mean.... really. the concept of the text i liked.

May 11, 2005, 06:07:51 PM
Reply #22

Prophecy

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Theurgist

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
No offense taken my friend.  I purposely avoid even mentioning self-inflicted physical harm, mentioning a few far less damaging but still efficient substitutes.  While the original system of discipline upon which this article is based(that of St. Ignatius) did call for cutting yourself as a reminder, I am personally very much against self mutilation and do not see how it could be of more benefit to the magician than a simple probation from an enjoyable activity.

July 13, 2005, 05:11:33 PM
Reply #23

[Lotus]

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I agree with most of what you said prophecy, all except the soul thing.  I believe it is our intellegence and rationality that make us more able than animals. I dont think a soul has anything to do with the goals of these excercises.  Is it not our minds that benefit from such excercises?
As a lotus flower is born in water, grows in water only to rise out of water and stand above it unsoiled, so shall I, born in the world, raised in the world, having overcome the world, one day live unsoiled by the woRld

August 10, 2005, 07:32:23 PM
Reply #24

Svatejasaa

• Veritas Teacher
  • Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
I believe it is our intellegence and rationality that make us more able than animals. I dont think a soul has anything to do with the goals of these excercises.  Is it not our minds that benefit from such excercises?

Yes, and no: Our soul and mind benefit from it. The point of these exercises is to deny the Ruach, or the ego, so that it may be offered up in sacrifice to the Higher Self, or Holy Guardian Angel; thus the magician may experience that great moment known as "Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel," called by some the realization/acceptance of the Christ etc. Also, making this Ruach more complete so that it is more suitable for the Holy Guardian Angel to manifest in can be necessary for some. This, of course, is from the Theurgical/Hermetic point of view, and this concept can be further seen in the grimoire "The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage."

It is not our intelligence and rationality that makes us more able than animals: in many religions even, it is accepted that "Man was created in the image of God" or that Man is in fact a child of God. This indicates that man is above all else, that he is the microcosmic universe, which is his soul or piece of God, just as God is the macrocosmic universe. In The Tree of Life Regardie avers that mentally deficient people have near the same chance at receiving Truth, in some cases even more, than  even the brightest scholar; Sublime Understanding can't be described by logic alone. Therefore, the reason the entities will not speak with animals is not because of their lack of intellect, but rather their lack of soul.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 07:35:13 PM by Mindwarp »

September 19, 2005, 09:44:23 AM
Reply #25

Biznut

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Wow, another great article Prophecy :)

Good job ^_^

March 22, 2006, 08:59:23 AM
Reply #26

Apricot

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
I want to give you deep thanks for this article, I don't know how I managed to stumble past it without seeing before.

Recently, prior to reading this, I was making a log of my day in which I would include anything I did which I felt was "animalistic" and then set goals to counter these actions.

However after reading this article I think I will discontinue my little journal in favor of a different system. I'd like to draw up a schedule encompassing possitive and negative behaviours in this light which I can mark my successes with. In addition to this schedule I think it would be nice to include healthier practices like more regular exercise.

I especially like how you mentioned mastery of the mind and body... how should I say it, I think that because you work on these together in a way it sort of.. urges each other along. In that it's hard to master the mind if your body is fed poorly and too much and you are distracted by every itch that comes by, and it is hard to master the body if you have immoral thoughts constantly swimming through your mind.

I hope I can put these exercises to work. Howe'er I too have a question about reward/punnishment and about subconscious interferences.. I'm not quite sure what either of these encompass

Thanks again
Apricot
Would it surprise you to learn I taste like strawberries?

March 23, 2006, 02:13:01 PM
Reply #27

Trillis

• Posts By Osmosis

• Has a lot of posts

• View Profile
How...Odd? I hadn't realised this article existed until now.. :confused:

July 20, 2006, 07:17:39 PM
Reply #28

thoth

• View Profile
i am apphaled by the idea that animals do not have souls...
but thats the christian in you talking

think about the more earthly magicks, such as the native american medican men.  for them-every animal, every plant, every rock, every storm has a soul.

but i see this has already been adressed, wo i will not make a huge post about it

April 19, 2007, 10:45:26 PM
Reply #29

Wonderland

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    ISIS
    • View Profile
    • My blog space (just getting started 06/07)
Speaking as someone who embraces vegetarianism, Native American (Indian) religions, Christianity, the belief in the power of stones, storms, etc., I would like to suggest that, perhaps, as it is used herein, the word "animal" does not, necessarily, refer to animals.  I think it is more metaphoric in its usage.
Yeeesh!  Apparently I forgot the signature changes on all posts....AND until you change it again...oh well enough then...sorry 'bout that