Author Topic: The True Nature of Psi  (Read 53519 times)

October 27, 2004, 09:21:10 AM
Reply #15

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
The point of course was that the evidence clearly and overwhelmingly supports one side.  If the evidence is not impartial, then neither will my article be, since the goal is to get closer to the true fundamental nature of psi.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

October 28, 2004, 03:41:14 PM
Reply #16

Fightingwarrior

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
this is a very good article
P.S. how do i add a rating?

October 28, 2004, 07:54:58 PM
Reply #17

Ramza1

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Over all the article was good, if you didn't like whole soul concept, then you could just as validly think of the "soul" as being merely the part of your non-physical mind associated with the use of psionic abilities.

P.S. Fighting Warrior, look above all the replies, at the end of the article their is a little bit where you can choose a rating.
I would rather be criticized by an honest person, then complimented by a polite liar.

November 25, 2004, 02:18:12 AM
Reply #18

Falcon

• Posts By Osmosis

• Vretsa Dcitoinray

• Personal Text
    Veritas Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
I think it's very good, you have taken this and writen lots about something, you have been informative. Hat of for Kobok
Finding some things difficult and need a extra hand, Apply for a mentor that's what were here for http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=9706.0

July 01, 2005, 12:52:48 PM
Reply #19

Salubrion

• A Veritas Regular

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,20967,693324,00.html

They have been able to change the state of an atom by chaging the quantom state of another atom. Which happens instantly over an infinite amount of distance. They just were able to teleport solid particles using this. Now if you read this article closley I find it is far more related to psi than the "soul". That is not my point though. My point is their are so much physic's, especially in energy, not yet known, that it is unreasonable at this moment to think psi is anything we know of, the best we can do is find what it might be related to. Also, Kobok you article was one sided, anyone can argue a point and win if the other side cannot respond back to point out your flaws and misconceptions.

July 01, 2005, 01:37:52 PM
Reply #20

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Quote from: Salubrion
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,20967,693324,00.html

They have been able to change the state of an atom by chaging the quantom state of another atom. Which happens instantly over an infinite amount of distance. They just were able to teleport solid particles using this. Now if you read this article closley I find it is far more related to psi than the "soul". That is not my point though. My point is their are so much physic's, especially in energy, not yet known, that it is unreasonable at this moment to think psi is anything we know of, the best we can do is find what it might be related to. Also, Kobok you article was one sided, anyone can argue a point and win if the other side cannot respond back to point out your flaws and misconceptions.

The popsci article you referenced does say that it happens "instantly", but the journalist who wrote the article unfortunately got the physics wrong.  Quantum teleportation requires a classically traveling intermediate particle, and is thus limited to traveling below the speed of light.  Quantum tunneling is faster than the speed of light, but is restricted to ultra-short distances.  Journalists often get these two techniques confused even though they are completely different.

Psi, in comparison, travels faster than light (by virtue of being able to send information backward in time) and remains unchanged in effectiveness by distance.

July 01, 2005, 01:52:23 PM
Reply #21

Salubrion

• A Veritas Regular

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
I would like to argue with some of your theories kobok, but that would be pointless sence it is all theories right now, which brings us back to my point. We do not know yet, we can say it might work like this, but right now nothing is definitive. Wether or not the article had a mistake, my point still remains valid, and apparently ignored by you kobok.

To make it obvious and simple, this should'nt be The Nature of Psi, it should be Theories of the Nature of Psi, ( Or considering what you wrote about the most, False Theories of the Nature of Psi )

July 01, 2005, 03:36:18 PM
Reply #22

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Quote from: Salubrion
To make it obvious and simple, this should'nt be The Nature of Psi, it should be Theories of the Nature of Psi, ( Or considering what you wrote about the most, False Theories of the Nature of Psi )

Well, the point made in the article is that psi is necessarilly due to a non-physical component of ourselves (more specifically, a component which does not interact by means of the four physical forces).  And the term I use to label this non-physical component of ourselves which performs psi is "soul", as that is the term most commonly used in English for a non-physical component of a person.  Then, I proceed to give a description of the necessary properties of the soul (leaving out the more subjective properties) given the known capabilities of psi.

March 09, 2006, 01:08:47 AM
Reply #23

lordkamon

• View Profile
Even though this topic hasn't been posted on for almost a year, I need to put my 2 cents on it, because in all the psi sites I've been to, this article has a good scientific base and has a low guess factor. I agree with the fact that psi can't be electromagnetic in nature, though it does share some properties of bieng as such. Also, the concept of the "soul" doesn't seem to be treated religiously here, more like the best noun for the concept of who you are and your actual sentient existance. Psi is hard to be treated by more than guesswork, but a lot of the views expressed here seem to be similar to the ones i experience when using psi. Except for the time part, it's hard for me to conceptualize how one can send energy back in time... five stars for a pretty solid article. Not completely one sided, but sometimes data points to one side more than the other anyways.

August 19, 2006, 03:43:48 PM
Reply #24

NotoriousCriminal

• View Profile
Pardon me, but what was the faraday cage used? There's not much information on it. Nor pictures. Nor is it described the lab environment, tools used, etc. The books also lack this (from what I summerize, anyway). May I request a more detailed explanation of the utilities used?

August 20, 2006, 10:06:47 AM
Reply #25

Arpspasm

• Veritas Furniture

• Hundred-plus Club

• View Profile
I believe that the faraday cage is generally used for shielding sensitive electronic equipment from e.m.f's  when doing high energy experiments i.e. telsla coils e.t.c. its basically a big cage built of earthed aluminium mesh.
"This life's dim windows of the soul
Distorts the heavens from pole to pole
And leads you to believe a lie
When you see with, not through, the eye."
-William Blake

August 21, 2006, 12:33:51 PM
Reply #26

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Pardon me, but what was the faraday cage used?

There has not been one experiment using a faraday room or faraday cage, but many, so "the faraday cage" is not quite right to say.  There's an example picture of a faraday room, and a description of what it means, in this wikipedia article.

Faraday cages are considered pretty standard equipment, so this is probably why you haven't found detailed descriptions of them in summary books on parapsychology.  But if you want more information on how they work, a better place to look would be a book on electromagnetism.  Faraday cages are usually introduced as an example problem shortly after Gauss's law is introduced.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:59:13 PM by kobok »

August 21, 2006, 06:56:59 PM
Reply #27

NotoriousCriminal

• View Profile
I believe you both misunderstand me. Since he's talking about what appears to be a specific experiment, I wish to know what type of faraday cage was used. I also wish to know this for the numerous other experiments just brought to mention. I highly doubt that they are all the exact same duplicate type, hence my question for a description of the one (or more) in use. Unless the original poster wasn't speaking of a specific experiment. In which case, he should have posted links to these experiments conducted.

August 21, 2006, 11:10:14 PM
Reply #28

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
I believe you both misunderstand me. Since he's talking about what appears to be a specific experiment, I wish to know what type of faraday cage was used. I also wish to know this for the numerous other experiments just brought to mention. I highly doubt that they are all the exact same duplicate type, hence my question for a description of the one (or more) in use. Unless the original poster wasn't speaking of a specific experiment. In which case, he should have posted links to these experiments conducted.

I was not referring to a specific experiment, but instead to a large collection of experiments, which have used a variety of different faraday cages.  The most common are probably copper walled and steel walled rooms.  For one relatively recent example of faraday cage experiments that were conducted with high quality, you can examine the autoganzfeld experiments in which the participant acting as receiver was enclosed in a soundproof electromagnetically shielded room with steel walls.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:59:30 PM by kobok »

August 22, 2006, 09:52:03 PM
Reply #29

NotoriousCriminal

• View Profile
Links to these tests please?