Author Topic: Runic Magic  (Read 47201 times)

October 10, 2006, 03:00:54 PM
Reply #15

NathanE

• Posts By Osmosis

• BEEFCAKE BEEFCAKE

• View Profile
Pictures missing
Suggest fixing
Chance is a word void of sense; nothing can exist without a cause. ~Voltaire

Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.~Scott Adams

“Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets”

October 21, 2006, 12:31:47 AM
Reply #16

Big Boss

• Posts By Osmosis

• Friggen Crazy

• Personal Text
    Owner of 100000 V-Points
    • View Profile
    • I'm a trendy blogger now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic

in the section about elder futhark it displays the runes and their transliteration. also gives a nice history about the area and development of nordic runes.
Join my Folding@Home team and do some good! #159490

Details at http://folding.stanford.edu/

January 05, 2007, 09:36:48 PM
Reply #17

Fromadistance

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    He comes from a distance.
    • View Profile
for the oral galdr vibrations, is the whole group of words to be vibrated in one breath, or is each letter/word to be vibrated on its own.
I have a feeling this question is stupid and obvious but...

Distance

January 31, 2007, 09:40:06 AM
Reply #18

TheThing

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Runic Magic

Conclusion
   This essay should have hopefully served as a type of primer on some of the basics within runic magic.  I’ve included those things which are given as fundamental concepts within this unique and superb system of magic, but have knowingly left out much more for you to discover with your own research.  As mentioned earlier, I am working on a treatise for Kyn Vald(The Origin of Power), which will be a system of invocation, evocation and practical talismanic magic revolving around the runes.  The system itself came from a question in my mind, which called for consequent experimentation and study.  While most of the studying has been worked out thus far, there is still much experimentation and resulting conclusions which need to be done and attained before Kyn Vald becomes in any way a stable system of magic.  As such, I leave you with this essay, outlining basic practices for those interested in both divination and practical magic.  Blessings upon you.

How's that coming along sounds interesting.  :confused:
TheThings's Flatmate.

June 15, 2011, 05:45:18 PM
Reply #19

kiddmac45

• View Profile
need more info

December 23, 2012, 12:54:25 PM
Reply #20

Binder

• View Profile
"There is a curse which employs a precise vibration of parts of Jera, Uruz, Mannaz, Sowilu, Othila, Hagalaz, and Berkana, which is said to be powerful enough to kill a man when performed while the magician extends the sign of malediction."

Prophecy, are you referring to the spell at the bottom of this page? It uses the same runes...

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/galdr.html

It's a joke. It's supposed to spell "you SOB". Took me a while to get it too.

January 31, 2013, 09:37:42 PM
Reply #21

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
lmao, that's funny.
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

May 18, 2014, 06:23:44 AM
Reply #22

BornAtMidnight

• View Profile
Hello,

I would like to know if the Elder Futhark placements within the futhark family (1-2-3-4-5- and so on and so forth), are directly correlated to the Havamal verses by Odin? So for example, when it is said, "I know of a sixteenth" then that pertains directly to the sixteenth letter, which would be Sowelu? And so on and so forth? Also, why do the verses stop at 18? Why is there not an extension to be found until the 24'th? I understand that the Havamal verses are referring to the younger Futhark? Which contained less letters? If that is correct, then what explanations from Odin to we have, for the remaining letters from 19-24?

Furthermore, why are Thurisaz and Ansuz not part of the Protective runes? Could they be incorporated with the others in the group of protective runes?

Thank you, I would be so grateful to get a response to this.

xxx
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 07:08:36 AM by BornAtMidnight »

August 15, 2014, 02:36:10 PM
Reply #23

Middelnil

• Settling In

• View Profile
I never would have thought that I'd get interested in runic magick. I always thought I liked doing things kind of "directly". Awesome article!

Although I do have a few questions. On each day I've tried to practice runic magic (although just for three days at the moment), and so far I've created 3 runes (I don't know if 'create' is the correct term for this). I'm just thinking that if this keeps going, I will soon drown in runes. What do I do to them all? In one year I will have created 365 runes.

The another question I have regards the oral Galdr. How am I supposed to say all of those? I don't have any trouble with the actual words, but more like with things like "u u u u u u r r r r r r" or "aw aw aw aw aw aw s s s s s s" or even "ok ek ik ak uk". Or "g a a a f f f f f". Or "h h h h h h h h h". I have no clue how I should vibrate them. So, as you may guess, I am a little bit confused. Since I'm not a native English speaker, it doesn't help the matter. But if what I've understood is correct, runic magic is originated from Northern Europe? Many of them sound like they're said the same way how they're written (I live in a country in which the language is spoken almost the same way as it's written, and so for example, I know how to say "Berkano"). Of course, I could be wrong.

August 15, 2014, 03:22:44 PM
Reply #24

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
Although I do have a few questions. On each day I've tried to practice runic magic (although just for three days at the moment), and so far I've created 3 runes (I don't know if 'create' is the correct term for this). I'm just thinking that if this keeps going, I will soon drown in runes. What do I do to them all? In one year I will have created 365 runes.

It depends on what you mean by create. Do you mean cutting the staves into a piece of wood or something, or making bindrunes? If you mean bindrunes, then just don't create any until you know what you want to do, then just keep it in a book to use when you want. I've made a few different bindrunes, but there's really only one that I use seriously.

The another question I have regards the oral Galdr. How am I supposed to say all of those? I don't have any trouble with the actual words, but more like with things like "u u u u u u r r r r r r" or "aw aw aw aw aw aw s s s s s s" or even "ok ek ik ak uk". Or "g a a a f f f f f". Or "h h h h h h h h h". I have no clue how I should vibrate them. So, as you may guess, I am a little bit confused. Since I'm not a native English speaker, it doesn't help the matter. But if what I've understood is correct, runic magic is originated from Northern Europe? Many of them sound like they're said the same way how they're written (I live in a country in which the language is spoken almost the same way as it's written, and so for example, I know how to say "Berkano"). Of course, I could be wrong.

I highly suggest the entire Galdr section of Prophecy's article be thoroughly ignored, if only because it's confusing. There's a lot of good stuff in this article, but in the end it was originally just his personal notes. The Galdr information came from Edred Thorsson's first book Futhark, which only really explains the basic pronunciation and not really what the Galdr is and how to properly put it to use. It can be quite confusing, so its not my favorite explanation. In any case, Galdr is an entire method of magic all its own that can only be learned and used once you learn and understand the runes -- you have to hear them before you can speak them.

But just pronounce them like you would normal letters. Fehu is "f," Uruz is "U (oo)," Thurisaz is "th," and so on. . Learn the Elder (or Younger, whichever you prefer) Futhark alphabet as an alphabet, and you'll know how to pronounce the runes. Vibration is a different matter, and the potency of that comes from your actual connection to the runes themselves. They are mostly used in Formulas, which are like the spoken Bindrune, so in this case a well structured Bindrune or Formula will be easy to speak. The traditional Old Norse or Icelandic pronunciation of Odin (OO-TH-I-N, Uruz, Thurisaz, Isa, Nauthiz) can be used as a Galdr, as an example.

If you're going to study Runes seriously, then I highly recommend the books by Edred Throsson, if only to develop an understanding of the basic theory and understanding of the tradition. Futhark, Northern Magic, and ALU are particularly good. Frankly, I ignore most of his ritual and practice advice simply because I practice other things, but his books are a good resource for learning how to learn the mysteries.

Though, Odin's advice on what to learn is also helpful:

Know how to cut them,
know how to read them,
Know how to stain them,
know how to prove them,
Know how to evoke them,
know how to score them,
Know how to send them,
know how to send them.

Better not to ask than to over-pledge
As a gift that demands a gift.
Better not to send
Than to slay too many.

--Hamaval

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

August 15, 2014, 04:21:32 PM
Reply #25

Middelnil

• Settling In

• View Profile
By creating runes I meant making bindrunes. I've made a total of three of them. The first I made consisted of 9 runes, the second one consisted of 3 runes and the third one consisted of 2 runes. All of them are intended to 'make me more powerful, gain and increase power and succeed in obtaining power'.

I forgot to mention that I also used http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/galdr.html as a reference to the Galdr.
But it seems that for now I will just leave Galdr alone and focus on learning the actual runes. I actually ordered Edred Throsson's Futhark: A Handbook of Rune Magic a few days ago.
Thanks for clarifying things out. Much appreciated :)

Although... there's one (or more) more question(s) I've been wondering now ever since I've read some Norse mythology. It must be real since the runic magic is real, correct? It's hard for me to grasp it: is Åsgard like Heaven? Does it truly exist? Can Àsatrù be anyhow compared to Christianity as a religion?  Perhaps I'm just trying to comprehend too much at the same time. Perhaps I should just keep at the belief that there is only one true God (in Christianity) but what would that make the gods/goddesses of Norse mythology? Sorry, I shouldn't probably mix in the religion (I promise it won't happen again). It's just that I don't know how deeply I should get involved in Norse mythology. I don't know if I should be worried or not that Norse mythology enthralls me.

Yours,
Middelnil
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:35:00 PM by Middelnil »

August 20, 2014, 09:17:37 AM
Reply #26

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
I've been wondering now ever since I've read some Norse mythology. It must be real since the runic magic is real, correct?

Norse Mythology is a particular cosmology, within which the Runes exist. Within Jewish Cosmology, you have the kabbalah; within Daoist Cosmology, you have Yin and Yang, the Five Elements, the Bagua, and so on.

Every spiritual cosmology is a way of organizing the spiritual mysteries of the universe so that they can be practically worked with. How real they are to you depends on how well the cosmology resonates with you. I've worked with the Norse runes as easily as I've worked with the Daoist five elements, so there are several cosmologies that are real to me. A more modern way to say it may be that they are all "real," yet subjective ways of working with "real," objective forces that are not objectively (scientifically) understood just yet.

It's hard for me to grasp it: is Åsgard like Heaven? Does it truly exist?

Asgard and Hel are not quite like the Christian idea of Heaven and Hell. If you learn mental or astral projection you can go there and see them for yourself, so they can be called "real" as far as any other astral realm is real.

The general pre-christian idea is "all souls reincarnate," so "heaven" or "hell" would just be the places where you go in between incarnations.

Can Àsatrù be anyhow compared to Christianity as a religion?  

Asatru can be compared to Christianity as a religion, but Asatru isn't really what was practiced and believed by the ancestors. If anything, Asatru is a rather Christian way of practicing the Northern Way. If you read Edred Thorsson's books, he goes into explaining the old way a fair bit, and does so quite in a very scholarly way. In the mean time, you can look up "Teutonic" stuff, which is a word used to describe pre-Christian European religion. Northern Teutonic beliefs are the best preserved because of the Eddas, but these things were widely practiced across Europe.

Perhaps I'm just trying to comprehend too much at the same time. Perhaps I should just keep at the belief that there is only one true God (in Christianity) but what would that make the gods/goddesses of Norse mythology?

I'm mono polytheistic, where "from The One, comes The Many."

The Norse creation myth supports this, for me, so there's no internal conflict. Within the Void of Ginnungagap, Muspellsheimr and Niflheimr interacted to create all things. This is similar to the Daoist creation: within the Dao, Yin and Yang came forth. This interaction of Fire and Ice is a big part of Norse magic too -- if you look at the Rune symbols, they are all some combination of Isa (Ice) and Kennaz (Fire). I quite like to compare this to Yin and Yang, because the principle is essentially the same.

The deities of Norse Mythology, then, would just be residents of the nine worlds like any other spirit race (Vaettir). They are older and wiser than most humans and they govern the forces of the universe, and quite frankly I wouldn't want to make Thor or Loki angry, but none of them are beings that I idolize in the Christian or Hindu sense of "worship." I actually tried, since I came upon serious Northern practice right after exploring Yoga and worshiping Shiva. Suffice to say, worshiping Odin the same way I worshiped Shiva was not very...pleasant.

I actually think the Samurai treatment of the gods applies to this rather well:  "Honor the gods, but do not rely on them."  The same way most people are taught to honor their parents, but to get out and get a job as soon as they can.

Sorry, I shouldn't probably mix in the religion (I promise it won't happen again). It's just that I don't know how deeply I should get involved in Norse mythology. I don't know if I should be worried or not that Norse mythology enthralls me.

Don't stress out and over complicate it. If you're interested in a cosmology, study it and practice it. I do think it actually is important, in Rune Magic, to understand where they came from and the cosmology behind them. You could technically just use them, but it would be hard to master them out of their original context. Rune is an Old Norse word meaning "Mystery," they're not just letters. Initiation into the Northern Mysteries, in my opinion, begins with its cosmology. There is a reason story telling and story keeping was so big in this tradition.

~:Shin:~
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:20:58 AM by Shinichi »
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

August 20, 2014, 11:51:55 AM
Reply #27

Middelnil

• Settling In

• View Profile
Thank you for clarifying the matters out to me in such a detailed way. To be frank, it helped me a lot to understand. It's mostly clear now :)

... somehow when even I hear about Norse mythology nowadays (Thor, Loki, Asgard, etc.) I immediately think about those Hollywood movies like "Thor" and "The Avengers". It's almost annoying to think of Thor as Chris Hemsworth or Loki as Tom Hiddleston. I am a huge of fan of science fiction and fantasy fiction but still... The works of fiction distort quite a great deal.