Author Topic: The First Steps  (Read 43069 times)

May 17, 2014, 10:04:22 AM
Reply #30

Iatros

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Since I've been drawn to threads concerning The Divine Science recently I may as well reply here too. I am a student there as well, so I would also love to establish communication with interested people where it might not otherwise happen directly with the school's teachers, since they are naturally more focused on their students than public relations.

Obviously if Prophecy (or someone else) finds the time to reply, consider whatever they say with more weight than what I say.

You do sound like you would do very well in The Divine Science. Love in its divine aspect is indeed discussed there, and eventually in a very thorough way - it is in fact one of the five central pursuits of magic as we view it - the others being Truth, Liberty, Peace, and Light. So your interest in Love is a very good thing which you can safely hold without any fear of "wasting" your time with it. From how you yourself have described Love I am particularly confident in this, because you are not identifying it with strictly erotic love (which has a part to play but which our culture tends to overemphasize).

As far as your feelings of wasting years of time - don't worry about this. Every experience we have has a part to play for us, even if we change our opinions later, because even our errors help to refine our understanding of our path. How could that not be valuable? Don't worry too much about the name that you give to your path. You can start one, switch to another, and land permanently on yet another - if you do this, you haven't really followed three different paths; YOUR path simply travelled between three places.

I do not know what the symptom you wish to change in yourself is, but I can make a recommendation. The Pentagram rituals are great, but the downfall of ritual is that they rely on certain foundations (visualization, understanding of symbolism, relationships with certain intelligences and forces) which may or may not be present in the person performing the ritual to begin with. They will certainly eventually develop if you consistently practice the ritual (I myself did the LBRP consistently for a time and observed great progress) but if you are specifically trying to heal yourself elementally, there are quite simply more direct ways to do it, like Franz Bardon's Soul Mirrors, which The Divine Science also uses. If you are unfamiliar with this, here is the practice:

1. Introspect for a long while and write down every characteristic of your personality that you can think of, positive virtues and negative vices alike. Be as thorough as possible, and keep adding to this list whenever you identify something new.

2. Separate the virtues and the vices. Naturally the vices require the most work, but you should be aware of the virtues as well for the purpose of elemental balance.

3. Get a good understanding of the elements (and try to avoid pop culture interpretations) and assign an element to each of the virtues and vices as best as you can - you can always go back and change things as your understanding deepens - this is an ongoing process.

4. Assign a degree of magnitude to each of the virtues and vices. I, for instance, assign a 5 to Distraction, which influences me constantly, but a 1 to Anger, which very rarely really struggle with.

5. You now have an elemental roadmap to your personality which you can use to more or less objectively work to improve yourself, and heal your mental and astral bodies, which will in turn improve your material life.

6. Choose a prominent vice, consider a virtue which represents the healthy functioning corresponding to the absence or conquering of that vice, and work to embody it and make it a new part of your being. Update your Mirrors regularly (maybe once a month, maybe once a year).

7. It may be useful to consider how certain vices give rise or support others, so that by healing one vice which supports many, you can accelerate the process.

Now, concerning women... obviously culture has not been kind to women due to patriarchal society and such. This same cultural idiocy unfortunately has also occurred in esotericism, with specifically fraternal orders and such existing. This inequality is completely unnecessary, and everyone would benefit from its disappearance. There is nothing precluding women from the mysteries whatsoever - but because of patriarchal bigotry, history itself has not been kind to female mystics. Study people like Moina Mathers, Helena Blavatsky, Mary the Jewess, and Hypatia of Alexandria if you'd like. In any case, if you are female, I strongly encourage you to help turn the tide by becoming a successful mystic yourself. Women actually tend to be better at metaphysical perception (which is why so many seers have been female and the whole witch stereotype exists), and this is not only tradition but has recently been supported by modern scientific inquiry and psi studies. It is only a general trend of course due to energy body differences.

Anyways, I hope this has been helpful. Don't abandon trying to contact my teachers, obviously, but if you have any other questions you think a student might be able to answer, feel free to ask me.

Iatros
"And in this lies my honour and my reward, - / That whenever I come to the fountain to drink I find the living water itself thirsty; / And it drinks me while I drink it." - Almustafa

May 17, 2014, 12:24:36 PM
Reply #31

White Lily

• Settling In

• View Profile
Hi latros, thanks a lot for your sensitive and encouraging reply. I too find it nice to be in contact and communicate with other students … this is actually something I have been looking for some time. After Bardon and other Masters recommend one should not talk much about it to people, not even to friends, I have found the path being sort of lonely, so to speak. Lonely till one reaches communication with beings and forces of the so-called invisible world. Then everything changes, but the way to firstly get there can be long and lonesome … So, your response to my questions is, of course, very welcome.

Your idea sounds nice: to consider every trial and experience, even when leading into different directions, a part of one’s own path. This really gives me some confidence back, to know that I am on my path. :-) You have found wonderful words. Thank you!

The symptom mentioned – in case you find helpful to know it – is an undefinable swelling and pain in the joint of clavicle with sternum. I use the right arm for rituals like Pentagram and other stars, so the symptom results in being a hindrance in ritual as well as in daily life. I know that the collarbone is a key, this maybe karmic. But there should also be an elemental imbalance to it that caused the manifestation, since the whole shoulder is a pair of scales (I think) and the symptom is located at the very crossing point.

The soul mirror you suggest to elaborate can be a good means I guess but in my case did not suffice. I’ve already worked it out, however, I found some difficulties in thinking black and white or telling this is a positive feature while another is negative. To me, classification is really so much flexible, always depending on parameters such as culture, epoch, gender and the use one makes of a given trait. So I got stuck in there. Also to me, auto-suggestion (using the beads) has not been sufficiently effective in eliminating vices, even if the picked vice is as simple as chocolate.  :)

Perhaps a stronger force than this will be needed. A comprehension maybe required, a reminiscence, whatever. I hope the rituals will one day bring me there. Love is the greatest force in universe. Love has many most beautiful faces. Sacred sexuality is just one of them, nevertheless, it is a very special one because it creates in body, spirit and soul.

May I ask you who your teachers are? From what you tell I would assume that Prophecy is one of them, and who else? I am watching the Theurgy site, to see when a new enrollment will start. Do the students ever meet each other in person, or does everyone continue his/her work separated from others, the only direct contact being the teacher?

Thank you again for all of your ideas.
White Lily
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:19:50 PM by White Lily »

May 17, 2014, 01:05:28 PM
Reply #32

Iatros

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Hello again White Lily,

I do not know enough about healing yet to give much advice for that symptom. Still, I agree that the areas you describe are loaded with metaphysically significant things - if it isn't something that a doctor can do anything about then I am sure your continued esoteric practices will eventually address the issue. Have you looked into traditional chinese medicine? It seems like a good middle ground between the physical and the subtle and has pretty good specificity for different parts of the body - you could look up what organ energy channels run through your problem area and try some corresponding herbs or acupuncture / acupressure if you haven't already. Past that I should really continue my training for a few more years before I offer specific remedies.

Ramose (Prophecy) and Veos are the main teachers but not really my direct teachers. Most classes are instead taught by their direct students, but their names wouldn't mean anything to anyone here and since they haven't come forth I would rather not point people to them. However you will eventually tend to meet everyone and Ramose and Veos visit all the classes and do school-wide stuff pretty regularly.

After the introductory class (the Probationer course), students are allowed and very much encouraged to visit the teachers in person, because not everything in the school is written down - only the most important parts - in order to protect it from people who are completely missing the point and intend to just infiltrate, copy everything, and give it to everyone without the appropriate context or proper training. I have visited on three occasions and it has always been a wonderful experience and a great opportunity to meet like minded people and names that I had only seen on the class forums beforehand.

Since TDS has ended up being extremely international, many students have started regular local get-togethers as well to make friends, discuss, and practice in person. This is great because naturally it's very difficult to buy a plane ticket to the U.S. if you are a student living in, say, Turkey. There is certainly no emphasis on being a hermit whatsoever.

I'm glad what I said before helped put your mind at ease, and am willing to answer any other questions.
"And in this lies my honour and my reward, - / That whenever I come to the fountain to drink I find the living water itself thirsty; / And it drinks me while I drink it." - Almustafa

May 18, 2014, 02:23:47 AM
Reply #33

White Lily

• Settling In

• View Profile
Yes, I have tried acupuncture and other alternative therapies. They have helped to alleviate pain, however, did not cure the symptom. I am now at a point where I think that just the same as a flower is a manifestation of sunlight, brought into existence by intelligent reason, the same is true with a symptom that manifests in anyones physical body. A symptom that cannot easily be healed has got a profound meaning, a message if you want. With major acceptance and a little patience one will perhaps be able to see the fruit it has come to bring about.

Since I live far from the U.S., local gatherings sound good. Thanks for the hint. Are they only accessible once you are a part of the school, meaning a student of them – or can one seek contact and/or meet up with people while not (or not yet) inscribed to TDS? I suppose there are more students of magic who are not directly studying at TDS but learning from someone else or by themselves who would love to meet up, too. Just in case this would be possible, are you aware of any such gathering in Germany, or could you perhaps ask around to find out for me?

Thank you so much for your help!

May 18, 2014, 05:00:26 AM
Reply #34

Iatros

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I think that the groups would prefer you were in TDS in order to go to their specific gatherings, but I don't see why they wouldn't just want to chat. And of course, it's always good to get to know your local magical community in general - there is really no point to limiting it to TDS even if you are a student. I certainly don't, any more than I refuse to have friends outside of my university.

I'll see if there are any German students that would like to chat with you.