Author Topic: Book List and How to shop for Occult Books  (Read 98413 times)

October 08, 2008, 04:12:53 PM
Reply #75

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
If I were to buy the Kyabalion, which version should I buy?
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

November 13, 2008, 04:50:42 PM
Reply #76

liquidwaterman

• Settling In

• View Profile
He also stresses the Judiac origin of the QBL, over and again, which I can refute easily (the emanations, the 10 sephiroth, gematria, etc. all have GREEK origins), but that doesn't matter, the Jews did preserve it for us, and for that I'm grateful! :D

Really?

November 22, 2008, 11:51:39 AM
Reply #77

taaraka

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
If I were to buy the Kyabalion, which version should I buy?

You asked this question some time ago and may have your answer already...but I'll say it anyways . There is only one version of the Kybalion. It can be a little hard to read because of the language but is well worth it...then again most of these books are not exactly easy reads!

December 10, 2008, 03:05:39 AM
Reply #78

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I meant which edition, publisher, etc... There are a bunch of them.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

January 22, 2009, 07:37:36 PM
Reply #79

DannyLeeMatthew

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    Harmony~
    • View Profile
I meant which edition, publisher, etc... There are a bunch of them.

If you haven't gotten around in purchasing the book, I bought this edition.  http://www.amazon.com/Kybalion-Three-Initiates/dp/B001KY63AG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232681623&sr=8-4

There are some errors throughout the book but nothing I couldn't discover without attentive reading. Unless, of course, there are mistakes within deeper meaning that I have missed. Although, according to the PDF that was posted in the last page, the chapters and information that had been written matches the book I ordered.
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. ~ Mark Twain

January 23, 2009, 02:46:11 PM
Reply #80

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Oh, sweet. That's helpful. I'll get around to that.

February 07, 2009, 01:09:41 PM
Reply #81

Pursuit of Knowledge

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Is there any certain edition of Bardon's IIH that is "better" or has more to it? I ask this in the same way that Regardie's Tree of Life has been added to with many helpful footnotes by the Cicero's. Amazon.com has a bunch of different editions, 1962, 1971, 1981, 1987... many are sold out, save for 2001.
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart ~old Indian saying

Do not comfort yourself by failing less than your peers. If you fall short of ideal target feel comforted, if short of realistic target work harder. ~Raitaro

February 07, 2009, 05:11:16 PM
Reply #82

YHSHV

• Settling In

• View Profile
"Really?"

No, and I am sorry to have misled you.

I'm relearning everything I thought I knew and doing it again.

Perhaps you should do the same? :D

February 09, 2009, 05:36:04 PM
Reply #83

Pursuit of Knowledge

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
Working on it. Since I was at boot camp, I've begun to totally reevaluate everything I do, and everything I do and/or think I have been doing with magic.

Concerning the IIH, I did order a NEW copy for $64 on Amazon. It turns out it was mislabeled and named as NEW when it was really used. It reads very good condition. Perhaps I will not be scammed and actually get my book. I have it all printed out as records.

Ah well, time to retire back to the barracks, good night.
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart ~old Indian saying

Do not comfort yourself by failing less than your peers. If you fall short of ideal target feel comforted, if short of realistic target work harder. ~Raitaro

February 09, 2009, 09:05:10 PM
Reply #84

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=12212.0

February 11, 2009, 09:15:18 PM
Reply #85

Pursuit of Knowledge

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
The one I bought is a hardcopy. The softcovers are all over my online search results.

February 21, 2009, 02:22:15 PM
Reply #86

liquidwaterman

• Settling In

• View Profile
XD

"Really?"

No, and I am sorry to have misled you.

I'm relearning everything I thought I knew and doing it again.

Perhaps you should do the same? :D

December 29, 2009, 12:41:53 PM
Reply #87

quelonnio

• View Profile
For beginners, I want to add:

Manly Hall - The Secret Teachings of All Ages (ideal to get a big picture)
Jean Dubuis - The Fundamentals of Esoteric Knowledge
Jason Augustus Newcomb - The New Hermetics (a "salad of tools"  :wink:)

"We state that everything wich can help, everything which leads to the gate of the Temple can be and should be revealed to anyone who wishes to advance on the esoteric Path.  It is also understood that he should work and in turn, share the information with others - the secrets which were unveiled." - Jean Dubuis.

"Basically, the New Hermetics is a synthesis of Western esoteric thought, Jungian psychology, the ideas of neuro-linguistic programming, the eight-circuit model of consciousness, and Scientific Illuminism" - Jason Augustus Newcomb

July 05, 2010, 07:23:48 AM
Reply #88

tlolaymen

• View Profile

July 30, 2010, 08:17:20 PM
Reply #89

Armond

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
I found a couple more sites with extensive occult libraries...

http://www.scribd.com/people/documents/1463124-thelema418
 and
http://www.hermetics.org/ebooks.html
and
http://english.grimoar.cz/?Loc=nam&Lng=2
and an online version of Crowley's magic without tears
http://hermetic.com/crowley/magick-without-tears/

... I'm always happy to help fellow magicians and seekers of knowledge.  :)  
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:54:23 AM by Armond »
There is never nothing going on but, till one has purified the interior viewing the exterior won't help.