Author Topic: Book List and How to shop for Occult Books  (Read 98456 times)

July 19, 2008, 08:10:43 PM
Reply #60

YHSHV

• Settling In

• View Profile
I've read Garden of Pomegranates, which I've seen recommended here a few times, and I must say-out of Regardie's works, this one is the worst.

Tree of Life was fantastic, I don't see how he followed that up with GoP, or maybe the order was vice versa'd? Either way, they were both written before he joined the Golden Dawn.

The correspondances for the Paths are a mess more than they are helpful, they should be ignored.  The correspondances for the Sephiroth are mostly good (I especially like how he organizes the Egyptian Gods), but some are more confusing then they are helpful.

He contradicts himself horridly in his arguement against Christianity, saying that it doesn't and cannot be applied to QBL, but that trashes his earlier statements that any and all ideas can be applied to QBL!  And Christianity fits surprisingly well if you know how to do it.

He also stresses the Judiac origin of the QBL, over and again, which I can refute easily (the emanations, the 10 sephiroth, gematria, etc. all have GREEK origins), but that doesn't matter, the Jews did preserve it for us, and for that I'm grateful! :D

Anyway, for the QBL, there are many, many better books/introductions.  To start with, I'd go with:

Mystical Qabalah by Dion Fortune
QBL by Frater Achad (I wouldn't recommend the Appendicies for the beginner, but the book itself is outstanding for such)
and Qabalistic Tarot by Robert Wang

These three, read in order, will give you way more than enough to get started!!

Best wishes.

September 07, 2008, 09:04:47 PM
Reply #61

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Discoverer of Imaginary Cult

• Personal Text
    Qing Jing Wei Tian Xia Zheng
    • View Profile
I saw a book by Aleister Crowley called "Magick: Book 4" or something. I thought it was the fourth book in the series, so I didn't get it. Unfortunately, it was in the section with all of the New Age stuff. But the book itself was around 80 dollars... is it any good?
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

September 08, 2008, 06:12:45 AM
Reply #62

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Aleister Crowley's Magick: Book 4: Parts I-IV is a very large volume of occult material. If I remember correctly, it's apparently fantastic. I'm not sure you would benefit much from it (or many other serious occult books for that matter); you need a lot of practical experience (and instruction from a teacher wouldn't hurt) to gain the true understanding of many different magical texts.

September 08, 2008, 02:58:48 PM
Reply #63

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
If there are other more basic books you could read for free on the internet then read those. There are a few good books you must buy but very few.  I am talking about legally free books btw.

EDIT: changed "god books" to "good books"
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 05:11:54 AM by Kichara »
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:
http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=12212.0

September 08, 2008, 09:11:13 PM
Reply #64

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Wait, was that a spelling error? "God Books" or "good books"? Anyway, what are they? The same ones listed at the beginning of this topic? The ones Prophecy mentioned?
And if you say IIH one more time I'll kill you. : P
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. -Sun Tzu

When the Mind is clear and still, all things under Heaven fall into place. -Lao Tzu

Drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste. -Almustafa

September 09, 2008, 05:17:48 AM
Reply #65

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
Most of the ones on Prophecies list is specifically what I was thinking of when I said that, but there are loads of others as well.

On Prophecy's list there are only 7-8 that you have to buy. Although the first one is one of them.  If you haven't already read it The Kybalion is good to read, and you will end up rereading it at later times as well.

I couldn't resist. >.>
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:

September 09, 2008, 06:19:35 AM
Reply #66

Hech

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
On Prophecy's list there are only 7-8 that you have to buy. Although the first one is one of them.  If you haven't already read it The Kybalion is good to read, and you will end up rereading it at later times as well.

I'm told that if you practice diligently and begin reading now, you'll end up rereading almost every book on that list, but if you don't practice diligently, then one read is enough because you won't reap much benefit. Experience gives understanding. The Kybalion is a most fantastic book, however.

Two are better than one.

September 09, 2008, 03:09:12 PM
Reply #67

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Actually, the more I practice the more I understand what I'm reading. It's amazing. What are the 7-8 that you would recommend?

September 09, 2008, 04:52:25 PM
Reply #68

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
I was going to post the first 8 of the books list but I will just go ahead and post the whole thing since it isn't in this thread yet.

This was posted by Prophecy a year and 8 months ago.

Here is a booklist of things that could get you started:

The Tree of Life, by Israel Regardie
The Art and Meaning of Magic, a collection of papers by Israel Regardie
The Kybalion, by Three Adepts
The Key of the Mysteries, by Eliphas Levi
Transcendental Magic, by Eliphas Levi
Higher Worlds, by Rudolph Steiner
Corpus Hermetica, by Hermes Trismegistus
Studies in Occultism, by Helena Blavatsky
Teachings of an Initiate, by Max Heindel
Isis Unveiled,  by Helena Blavatsky.

Apart from these, other books you would do well to read in order to best formulate a complete understanding of hermetic science would be:

Magick in Theory and Practice, by Aleister Crowley
The Teachings and Work of an Initiate, by Dion Fortune
Psychic Self Defense, by Dion Fortune
On Animal Magnetism, by Anton Mesmer
The Etheric Vision and what it Reveals, by Max Heindel
The Rosicrucian Mysteries, by Max Heindel
Ancient and Modern Initiation, by Max Heindel
The Emerald Tablet, by Hermes Trismegistus (must be read)
The Lemegeton of Solomon, by King Solomon
The Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage, all three books, by Abraham the Jew
The Equinox, Book 4, by Aleister Crowley

This is a somewhat random selection of readings in order from beginning material to more advanced material (particularly Heindel's work), and then ending with a book which contains a large selection of actual events in the field of occultism that is highly informative for any student.  After reading these, you should be ready to read, in this order for best understanding:

The Great Work, by Joseph Pernety
The Three Books of Occult Philosophy, by Heinrich Cornellius Agrippa

At this point you will have a practical understanding of the many aspects of hermetic science, and so you should begin to read Initiation into Hermetics, by Franz Bardon.  This book is much simpler than the others, and far more profound and practical for the student.  However, with the knowledge that has met its fruition through all the previous books you will be able to read between the lines in this one, know instantly the many implications of all of his statements, see the true uses and value behind all of his exercises, and know by what means the basic principles he provides in this book may be extended.

Now this is not to suggest that all of this has to be done for good understanding.  Bardon's Initiation into Hermetics can, without harm, be the very first thing you read, and in this way you will have something good to actually practice with and apply while you are working on expanding your necessary theoretical knowledge.  However, if approached in this means the entire book should be reread some years later after other learning has occurred, for a more complete understanding of its contents.  By the time all of this has been read and understood, you will possess the key to understanding true alchemy, and so you may read the following and understand them well:

The Aphorisms of Urbigerus, by Urbigerus the Wise
Aurora of the Philosophers, by Paracelsus
The Book of Vexations, by Paracelsus
The Twelve Keys, by Basil Valentine
The Secret Book of Artephius, by Artephius
Natural Magic, by John Baptista
The Treasure of Treasures, by Paracelsus
The Archidoxes, by Paracelsus
The Six Keys of Euxodus, by unknown.

Somewhere amongst all of this you will want to begin to study the Qaballah, and you may begin this lengthy and exhausting task wherever you desire, but it is necessary for a full understanding of the mechanisms of magic and how they may be applied practically.  For this purpose, you should read the following:

The Mystical Qabalah, by Dion Fortune (345 pg.)
The Secret Wisdom of the Qabalah, by J.F.C. Fuller (92 pg.)
Elements of the Qabalah, by Eliphas Levi (25 pg.)
Sepher Yetzirah (23 pg.)
Sepher Bahir (59 pg.)
Kaballah Unveiled, by S.L. MacGregor Matthers (182 pg.)
The Zohar (24 volumes)
NOTE: I asked Prophecy about this section and he reordered it. I also have the pages numbers next to each because I calculate how long it will take me to complete each book >.>

If you ever find yourself with the resources, finances, time and patience to go through all of this, you will no doubt know more about true magic and all of its aspects, theories and applications than nearly anyone you will ever meet, and almost certainly anyone you are likely to meet in person without coming into the high ranks of certain Orders.  Regarding the latter, the following are some presently active Orders that are all beneficial and possess high-ranking and effective magicians amongst their ranks:

Servants of the Light (SOL)
Ancient Mystical Order Rosae Crucis (AMORC)
The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn (HOGD)
Societas Rosicrucianis in America (SRIA)
Rosicrucian Fellowship
Sodalitus Rosae Crucis et Solis Alati
Builders of the Adytum

End of Prophecy's post.

I have read quite a few of the books and it is a great selection and goes in a very fluid order even for those who do not practise diligently enough to understand all the books deeply.  If you need one of theses books, I have most of them on my computer. If you enjoy reading, or if you really would like some more background on theory then I would highly suggest this Book List.
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:

September 09, 2008, 06:31:14 PM
Reply #69

Jesse9209

• Veritas Furniture

• View Profile
Hey Kichara, I asked you a while ago and you said it wasn't on the computer but did you happen to get On Animal Magnetism By Anton Mesmer on your computer? If so I'd appriciate it. Its one I think would be useful for me. I havn't read much on what is called animal magnetism mainly bardon and proph's writing on vital energies. What are some of the thing it talks about?

September 09, 2008, 06:58:00 PM
Reply #70

`Nazukarr

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Quote from: Kichara
If you need one of theses books, I have most of them on my computer. If you enjoy reading, or if you really would like some more background on theory then I would highly suggest this Book List.

It would be prudent of you to consider uploading these texts to the V-Library since you are essentially offering them to the entire community for free.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:00:05 PM by `Nazukarr »
“I am not this hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within.”

September 09, 2008, 07:16:13 PM
Reply #71

Kichara

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    • View Profile
    • Check it Out.
I don't know how to upload stuff to the V-Library >.>
Hey, whats up?

Please vote in my poll:

September 09, 2008, 09:46:01 PM
Reply #72

Albatross

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Per aspera ad astrum.
    • View Profile
    • Sure of Speech
What about photocopied (and probably illegal) ebooks? I don't suppose those would be suitable to upload? It is hard to know which are illegal ebooks and which aren't.

-I've included an attachment listing all of the ebooks that I have. Have a look and I can email you whatever you want - there are quite a few there.
Silence legion, save your poison,
Silence legion, stay out of my way!
-Tool, Jambi

September 11, 2008, 06:22:55 PM
Reply #73

Shadow_Dragon

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Whoa, that's awesome... thank you so much, Kichara, for posting that! That really is quite amazing. I'd like to buy all of that, personally... but I assume they are rather hard to find? And concerning the IIH, I've only seen it in the PDF file, is it an actual book? Where can I buy these from?

September 12, 2008, 02:42:33 AM
Reply #74

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
Kichara perhaps you could speak to Kobok and ask how you upload them, it would be great to have most of Prophecy's list in the v-library.
“And you shall drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste.” -Almustafa, Garden of the Prophet.

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur