Author Topic: Book List and How to shop for Occult Books  (Read 79107 times)

December 28, 2004, 10:31:59 AM
Read 79107 times

Adept

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• View Profile
Because of the Incresing number of people wanting spells and to learn magic and have no Idea where to start, Iv put together this book list from the book recomenations thread . This is just to make it neet and tidy and on one post.

The Enochian Towers (Unknown)
 The Heptameron(Peter De Abano)
 Initiation into Hermetics(Franz Bardon)[/B]
 A Treatise on Cosmic Fire(Dwual Khuul)
 A Treatise on White Magic(Alice Bailey)
 Psychic Self-Defense(Dion Fortune)
 The Essential Skills of Magic(Benjamin Rowe) [Essay]
 Transcendental Magic(Eliphas Levi)
 The Three Books of Occult Philosophy(Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa)
            - Occult Philosophy Book I
            -Occult Philosophy Book II
            -Occult Philosophy Book III
The Focus of Life(Austin Spare)
Magic without Tears(Aleister Crowley)
Magick in Theory and Practice(Aleister Crowley)
Liber Null and Psychonaut(Peter Carrol)
Liber Kaos: The Psychonomicon(Peter Carroll)
Magickal Use of Thoughtforms(Delores Ashcroft-Nowiki and J. H)
The Tree of Life(Israel Ragardie)
Where the Spirits Ride the Wind: Trance Journeys and Other Ecstatic Experiences(Felicitas D. Goodman)

Now where do you buy these books you ask? Amazon is a start. Good prices too. Short on cash?
 A Bardon Companion (IIH commentary)
Franz Bardon
Chaos Magic
Bardon System
Hermetic Library(very Large)
Hermetic.com
Occult Fourms (Quite exstensive)
Sacred Magick (Quite exstensive- No longer free Aside from Crowley. Pay as you go.)
and everyones favorite Veritas Articles

And Finaly, Killthedream's Shopping Guide
Quote from: Killthedream
I kind of bulletin it with criteria and if it fits I will usually buy the book or read it at the bookstore (the benefits of having a sister who works at barnes and noble are nice to exploit)

More then 1 of the criteria have to be negative for me not to read it.

1. I look at the name of the book. If it follows any "2 weeks and Wam! you're _insert anything from magician to ninja to investment banker_" or similar title. If it has a Dummies' guide or Idiots' guide I will probably skim and but never buy. Also, when it comes to occult books, mentioning of Ancient, LONG LOST, and stuff like that naturally peaks my bullshit radar.

2. When it comes to occult books, I look at the author's name. If the author's name has been turned into something like "Ravens Moonblood" or "Lord Cacius Nosferat" I see a lack of judgement and will probably dismiss it. This is partially due to the fact that every book I've looked closer at with a manicured name like that just so happens to not be very good. I know some of these people just had parents who had the unfortunate forethought to go with those names. None of this is certain, its always flexible, remember.

Those 2 happen almost instantly upon looking at books.

3. Then I read the back or inside flap. If its capturing, or it highlights the point or several points (about what the book is giving), I am more inclined to keep reading. If it has excessive graphics, or mainly talks about the writer not the book I am a little uneasy, but then that could be because of the popularity of the writer. So thats barely anything that really affects whether I get the book.

4. I read the table of contents. Table of contents is one of the best ways to just get down to business. If I see things that arent particularly entertaining or most of it is covered in other books, I become discerned.

5. I skim a few random chapters, usually the first halves of them. Look at the style of writing, the introduction is important simply because its the writer trying to say as simply as possible what hes try to convey in the rest of it. Usually by then I'm either sold or not. I also find looking at the bibliography to show a lot to, especially if there isn't one. Thats usually a bad sign for an occult book or book that's based on a "skill"

That's what I usually go on. When I amazon.com for books, I read reviews as well, and then I look at who's reviewing (like are they typing properly and giving an actual review) since authors will have them and all their friends rate it high and put it on the fanbase forums and stuff. So they aren't are true source. Also looking at the other books by the same author let me get into where he will probably be going with it.

I dislike books on the subject that arent well-researched. Attempts at humor aren't really annoying or anything but if I see it excessively I get somewhat perturbed. References to religious sources and the ilk are fine as long as they arent used as examples of ability or "THIS REALLY HAPPENED". Which is hard to explain I'm sorry, but its like if an author says Moses parted the seas, you can too! or uses myths to justify and give credence to their ideas when better ones are available or should be more modern. Like using Merlin as a source of someone "who gets it". It all depends of the subject, The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind uses of the rhyme scheme of Homer's Illiad and comparing it to how a majority of modern skizophrenics talk I am more likely to understand. But flat out certainties and I become wary. I can see things from viewpoints, but I prefer a more neutral stance on things.

I hope this helped

Thanks to everyone who posted in That Thread for makeing this list posible.  
:) Stickied! :)

EDIT: Added direct links to PDF files. Just click on the book title (Work in Progress)

January 16, 2005, 11:15:18 AM
Reply #1

BlackAnt

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
I could download Initiation to Hermetic. I will read it in short. Please, what can be considered the basic to magic? I mean what tipe of exercises? How I know Im ready to start making magick?

I meditate in zen and practice qi gong every day, mmm... almost every day. I practice draw energy and make psi balls. I can make psi balls. But Im interested more in magick than in psionic.

Sorry for my barbarian speech

January 16, 2005, 12:21:15 PM
Reply #2

Kyo

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    dude of antiquity
    • View Profile
the basics of magic will be found in prophecies articles, he also gives exercises, and don't worry about your speech, its better than most native english speakers on this site.
The Post-Modernist Mage! - Now with 40% more magic!

January 16, 2005, 05:17:43 PM
Reply #3

BlackAnt

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Where can I get this book in PDF o DOC format? I cant buy it for a lot of reason: distance, money, accesibility.

Magick in Theory and Practice(Aleister Crowley)
The Focus of Life(Austin Spare)
The Three Books of Occult Philosophy(Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa)

January 25, 2005, 07:32:27 AM
Reply #4

ECKS

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
You could probably download all these books at http://www.occultforums.com

January 25, 2005, 03:01:57 PM
Reply #5

Adept

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• View Profile
Now see thats why I put a lionk to the occult forms there, in bold ;)

Now who stickied this? Who was it? Id like to thank them. :)

January 25, 2005, 03:39:21 PM
Reply #6

Nereus

• Veritas Furniture

• Kher Heb

• Personal Text
    Step I
    • View Profile
    • -
Actually, you may not need to suck up their bandwidth, shortly... If I ever get this here doomsday device off the ground-- More at 11.
Sometimes my shadow leads, or it follows me, but we never seem to become one and the same.

January 25, 2005, 03:48:19 PM
Reply #7

AngryLeprachaun

• Posts By Osmosis

• Freelance Leprechaun

• Personal Text
    VERITAS LEP
    • View Profile
I was looking for books to learn from.  Thanks for making it neater, so that I can gather all the books up. :)
..::Believe::..

February 25, 2005, 05:08:35 AM
Reply #8

Spartan117

• A Familiar Feature

• Hundred-plus Club

• View Profile
http://www.occultforums.com/showthread.php?t=5966

A list of subjects, click on the subject you want, and it will show a big list of PDF articles/books on that subject.

February 28, 2005, 04:13:51 PM
Reply #9

Adept

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• View Profile
Can I ask why this is the second time someone has posted the same link to a page that was already on the list?  :confused:

March 01, 2005, 08:38:22 AM
Reply #10

Spartan117

• A Familiar Feature

• Hundred-plus Club

• View Profile
Right, sorry people, didn't notice the link in another post at first. =)

March 02, 2005, 06:28:10 AM
Reply #11

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
I'd just like to point out that the authors of A Treatise on Cosmic Fire are Alice Bailey & Djwhal Khul. The spelling mistake on the one author listed threw me off a bit but I found it listed on amazon.com under just Alice Bailey
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0853301174/026-8429425-1467609

I've also found an online site for it, and it looks at a glance to be the whole book but I've not even started reading it yet so I couldn't tell you http://laluni.helloyou.ws/netnews/bk/fire/toc.html , where both Bailey and Khul are listed as the authors.

Hm, I've also found a site which has a rather negative view on Mrs. Bailey http://www.teosofiskakompaniet.net/BlavatskyvsBailyALC.htm#A%20TREATISE%20ON%20COSMIC%20FIRE though more research would be needed on the part of the reader (you) to determine whether any of those claims are true.

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

April 10, 2005, 12:56:12 AM
Reply #12

Wandering nomad

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
umm..can you tell me of a book for someone who is just stating and knows practiculy nothing.i heard i should read loots of occult books or something but i don`t know

April 10, 2005, 08:14:45 AM
Reply #13

Adept

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• View Profile
Any one of these books is probably a good place to start. They all have high recomendations. However the Bolded one, Initiation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon is probably the best begginer book as it covers a section on theory and in the second part of the book, gives exercises for the very beginner.  Such as Thought Control and Self Reflection. Also a good site to have with IIH is A Bardon Companion. a commentary on the steps in the book.

May 24, 2005, 06:49:45 AM
Reply #14

SilentlyScreaming

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• View Profile
This site doesn't offer anything on the occult, or magic(k). It does however offer information on the body, and various guides for bodybuilding, yoga, and so forth. have an look http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmaintrain.htm
Life is like an cigarette smoke it to the butt.