Author Topic: A little thought  (Read 1971 times)

November 04, 2004, 02:20:36 AM
Read 1971 times

Mister_Willow

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
looking around at the many topics in these forums im starting to realise a pattern. Of the last 10 pages i have looked at, 8 of them have turned completely away from the topic at hand and turned more into severe arguments. Forgive me if im mistaken but i do beleive the point of this place is to teach those who are willing to learn. "Idiot" and "utter fool" are not the terms a teacher generally uses in conversation with his companions. Especially on some of the topics requesting help, it would seem that after 1 page the topic shifts into how stupid someone must be to do such and such a thing.
Knowledge is power and the ignorant fear it, that does not make knowledge a weapon it is a shield and should be used to keep the like-minded from harm. I do pray that some people will calm themselves before posting some of the offensive posts that have popped up around the place maybe we would have far less blocked topics which were, in the beginning, a site for great learning
"Show me one point on the universe, and i shall move the earth" - Archimedes

November 04, 2004, 05:02:00 PM
Reply #1

Ekco

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
You need to put yourself in the position of the teachers here. I think the reason why most posts end up in arguments is because the person asking the question usually refuses to accept the answer from the teacher. Most of the kids here ask question that they can easily find themselves if they just looked or searched the web. For example articles for PK and meditation can easily be found in this site under the article section or a simple search of the subject in google will usually result in good resources. Another thing is most kids in here try to find some easy technique or secret method to controlling air or earth or find some cool power that usually resembles some power in an anime . But in reality most real energy manipulation art requires dedication for years and kids aren't willing to spend their time. Even if that person actually practices and dedicates himself or herself to psionics, magick or chi they wont find the results they expect. The teachers in here usually end up in rage and anger to the ignorance of the student who think they can blow up mountains and summon dragons to incinerate their enemies.

November 04, 2004, 05:21:46 PM
Reply #2

Vinncent

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    Nobody
    • View Profile
Yeah, Ekco is right. I know that I, for one, could not moderate these forums for years, getting the same damn repetitive questions coming up every few weeks, from people refusing to use the 'search' button and the like. If I had to moderate these forums and heard another word with a 'kinesis' slapped on the end, I would go crazy.

One consulation though, is that the people willing to stick around can do some teaching of their own, which slightly takes the work off the moderators. By now, all the regulars have figured out that its called "Psychokinesis", and "-mancy" shows some form of divination.

Although there is some unnecessary flaming going around from time to time, I think its still kept to a minimum by the mods. Many people are simply running out of patience dealing with the same things over and over again.

Which just gave me a great idea. Someone should write an article, besides just the rules, of all the things that reoccur time and time again. It could simply be called, "Everything you need to know about the Veritas Academy (Almost)", or something along those lines. It would hopefully answer some of the basic questions that people keep bringing up. Actually, I was under the impression that something along these lines was written somewhere... sometime, Or mabey I just can't find it. Just another little thought though.
\\\"Only a fool quotes himself\\\" - Vinncent

The history of the world is but the biography of great men.

November 05, 2004, 12:00:54 AM
Reply #3

Mister_Willow

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
as with all teachers, situations arise in which they should normally get irritated, however these people would not have the power they have if they had such little patience, obviously there are times when the questions are downright simple but still it is the virtue of a good teacher to have patience over all things.
Despite that, most of the "angry" posts are not coming from teachers and that post was not aimed at them
I was referrring to "teaching" as anyone giving advice of any sort. Therefore it is directed more towards those who lack the patience and dare i say skill to discern who is incompetent and who is not.
"Show me one point on the universe, and i shall move the earth" - Archimedes

November 05, 2004, 09:22:34 AM
Reply #4

Rafnul!

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• he-who-posts-lots

• View Profile
That's really just a social problem which is prevalent in the age group of Veritas.  People from ages 13-19 generally assume they are always right about everything.  As such, it takes a bit of socialization to get them to realize they stand to gain by listening to someone else.  Most threads do turn into arguments because people seem to make very strongly biased claims here, and there are bound to be those who disagree.  Personally, I feel obligated to post if I disagree with someone so that the community are allowed to see both sides of the situation, if not to change the opinion of the one I am arguing with.  Sometimes though, when arguing, I find myself swayed and further enlightened - as such, I find it healthy.

November 05, 2004, 10:23:12 AM
Reply #5

Frozen

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• Personal Text
    Posting chief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Vinncent
Yeah, Ekco is right. I know that I, for one, could not moderate these forums for years, getting the same damn repetitive questions coming up every few weeks, from people refusing to use the 'search' button and the like. If I had to moderate these forums and heard another word with a 'kinesis' slapped on the end, I would go crazy.

I'm not even a moderator/teacher but I have been here for years. And I have answered the same damn repetative questions coming up every few days or so.  People don't bother to check the last few pages, or even the same page of threads. Things like "Kinesis," and "How do you fly?" and, "How do u make a ki ball?!?!" pop up every five seconds. Not only does it make you want to go insane, but you wind up actually yelling at the kid for asking the question you have already answered 451486751486761465146 times.
* chirss was kicked by kobok (Denny Crane)

I CARVE EVERYTHING YOU SAY INTO MY LEFT ARM!
~ V

<ShoresofPluto> how often do u ignite fires with ur mind?
<kobok> On occasion.

[20:06] <kobok> XIII:  You wear your girlfriend's pants??
[20:06] <XIII> kobok: On occasion.

November 05, 2004, 04:55:45 PM
Reply #6

vashts

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • http://firefrost.proboards42.com
I suppose you could give a really mystical sounding answer that really gives no information at all, like "You must find your own truth".  Then paste that in every time you're asked the same question over and pretty soon it will stop.
!  UNDER CONSTRUCTION  !
Please refresh the page

November 05, 2004, 06:11:10 PM
Reply #7

Vinncent

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    Nobody
    • View Profile
Actually vashts, thats an incredibly terrible idea.

The point of everyone here at "The Veritas Academy" is either to learn or teach. By giving bullshit answers that lead people nowhere, no one is teaching and no one is learning. Sure the questions would stop, but so would every other aspect of this place. What kind of academy would he have on our hands then? Probably one that wouldn't last very long, considering it takes money to keep this site up. If the site wasn't doing anything productive, I doubt anyone would spend the money to keep it running.
\\\"Only a fool quotes himself\\\" - Vinncent

The history of the world is but the biography of great men.

November 14, 2004, 03:23:57 AM
Reply #8

Astral slide

• A Veritas Regular

• Potatoe

• Personal Text
    Potatoe
    • View Profile
I tink it's good It helps when they see the light to get turned to the true path of light and that all those loser no hope teachers were right and they where misguided by there arrogent teenage pyices [insert real spelling here.]
They view but do not post that tis the thing I ahore
non posters are such a bore
how else will they circlate there lore.
Non popsting primal emountion like a boar.
Please post.
Our I will kick you to the aussie coast.
Tis the thing I HATE MOST.
PLEASE DON'T BE LATE REMEMBER THAT COAST. :fightmonk