Author Topic: Walking on water  (Read 6253 times)

November 03, 2004, 06:31:29 AM
Reply #15

Big Z

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    he-who-posts-lots
    • View Profile
First of all, the actual reason you can't walk on water is the hydrogen bonds, which causes a whole bunch of wonderful things, including surface tension, that make us who we are and this whole world what it is, if not the universe. I kind of got confused with the whole camel thing :confused: but the basalisk, i'm not sure if thats its real name, is pretty cool. Its crazy to see it run on water on its hind legs in slow motion, but it goes very fast, has big feet, and is very light. And humans can float in water, kind of like what a paperclip can do, though it helps to have some fat on you. I was born a chistian, but i realize, and i hope most other chistians do, that most of the bilble are fables. It was a way to start a revolution, that all the pain and suffering would end, all the apocalypse thing was saying was if you patiently wait all the Romans are going to hell and you will rule. I'm not familiar with a lot of this stuff, but i'm sure walking on water is some sort of metaphor, but basically it just makes Jesus a God figure. In the end, humans are land animals, so how about we just do what we're supposed to do.  :)
"If you sit by the river long enough all your enemies will float by."
Chinese Proverb

If you jog every day, you will add five years onto your life, but all of those years will be done jogging.

November 03, 2004, 07:15:32 AM
Reply #16

saiyajin

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    :-*
    • View Profile
Quote from: ThiefDeath
Once again someone calls me an ass because they realize they've been defeated in a rational argument.

November 03, 2004, 07:33:07 AM
Reply #17

ThiefDeath

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• Personal Text
    Grammaton Cleric
    • View Profile
First of all, the actual reason you can't walk on water is the hydrogen bonds, which causes a whole bunch of wonderful things, including surface tension, that make us who we are and this whole world what it is, if not the universe.

Yes apparently we've been discussing surface tension this entire time.  I'm glad you caught on so you could give us your valuable input.  Good job.

And humans can float in water, kind of like what a paperclip can do, though it helps to have some fat on you.

Paper clips float due to surface tension.  Humans float due to bouyancy.  They are not the same thing.  An object floats due to surface tension if its contact area is large enough so that its mass does not provide enough gravitional force to break the water surface.  An object floats due to bouyancy if the mass of the volume of water it displaces is greater than the mass of itself, or in other words, if the overall density of the mass is less than that of the water.  Surface tension is an area related thing.  Bouyancy is a volume related thing.  They are not the same property.
[23:48] <DanielH> You guys are all strange
[23:48] <DanielH> You have a different way of thinking (which is wrong)

How about a shave?

November 03, 2004, 08:38:01 AM
Reply #18

Rafnul!

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• he-who-posts-lots

• View Profile
Then it would seem the most effective way to walk on water is to generate an acceptable surface area while doing all you can to increase bouyancy.  This way, we can minimize the effort involved, and make it believable.  I think Balsa-wood clown-shoes make for a good candidate.

Hey... Silverdawn is Dutch right?  Wanna get on that for us?

November 03, 2004, 08:41:16 AM
Reply #19

ThiefDeath

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• Personal Text
    Grammaton Cleric
    • View Profile
If you're above the water being held up by surface tension, buoyancy is irrelevant.  There is no bouyancy.  You have to displace water to have bouyancy.

How about a shave?

November 03, 2004, 08:51:06 AM
Reply #20

Rafnul!

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• he-who-posts-lots

• View Profile
Ah, you are correct, but a properly designed shoe CAN use these two forces.  With a narrow "stilt" of bouyant material, it lessens the weight on the water, so at a given height, you increase the surface area to a desired span, and the affect of the submerged bouyant portion helps to minimize the strain on surface tension.

November 03, 2004, 01:13:23 PM
Reply #21

Iavas

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Contradictory
    • View Profile
The reason boats and such can keep large masses afloat without having much surface area or buoyancy is because they have high railing/walls. Whatever you call them. Boats sink, but not enough that they're completely submerged. And the buoyance and surface tention does the rest. I think that's the idea behind the shoes. Boat shoes. I remember they tried to make those in the 90's. Didn't catch on....  :cow:
QUOTES:
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
-- William Shakespeare, Hamlet

November 03, 2004, 01:26:56 PM
Reply #22

Zeronock

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Owner of all your base.
    • View Profile
probably already posted, but it was devinci's idea to make boat shoes a long tim ago, they worked
It will always end the same, no matter how you try to fight it, or try to change it. All your base are belong to us.

November 03, 2004, 05:02:35 PM
Reply #23

DarkWaterMoon

• Posts By Osmosis

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile

Paper clips float due to surface tension.  Humans float due to bouyancy.  They are not the same thing.  An object floats due to surface tension if its contact area is large enough so that its mass does not provide enough gravitional force to break the water surface.  An object floats due to bouyancy if the mass of the volume of water it displaces is greater than the mass of itself, or in other words, if the overall density of the mass is less than that of the water.  Surface tension is an area related thing.  Bouyancy is a volume related thing.  They are not the same property.

I'd say that's your best post in this thread...thanks ;) .

If the boat shoes worked, then why aren't they used today?

November 03, 2004, 05:43:46 PM
Reply #24

Iavas

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Contradictory
    • View Profile
Because they're quite useless. You can't get enough traction on water, so you end up walking in place. It's devilishly hard to keep your balance, regardless of any rudder mechanisms installed. Also, besides the "cool" factor, which wears out after most people own a pair, there really isn't any point in having boat shoes. Now, whoes that would essentially (through some insane way that I cannot fathom) let you actually walk and run on the surface of water, those might have some use, but boat shoes are just like standing in two very small boats.
QUOTES:
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

November 04, 2004, 03:35:48 PM
Reply #25

highwinds

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
    • http://dbnewhope.co.uk/_wdproductions-donttouch-kneeko/
to be honest this is a completely useless thread. if you guys look at this from sciences view then you cant walk on water without the aid of some strange device that no one can build.  this site full of random skills that people do, so y dont someone just make up some random way of walkin on water that obvisously wont work.
Few are those who can see with their own eyes and hear with there own hearts

November 06, 2004, 12:07:03 AM
Reply #26

shoutanenjeru

• A Veritas Regular

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
Actually noone can WALK on water, that wouldn't be fast enough to stay on the surface.
:eek:  "Ohhhhh!!!!"

"That's what you get for Riverdancing in a thong!!!!!"
"Your village idiot has fallen in Rolf's hole......A CELEBRATION I SAY!!!!!

November 06, 2004, 02:11:24 AM
Reply #27

ThiefDeath

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• Personal Text
    Grammaton Cleric
    • View Profile
Yeah highwinds.  Why don't we just make up something random that doesn't work and tell people about it?  I mean, (10^20 - 1) / (10^20) times they're probably just going to plunge into the water and get soaked, but HEY, that's fun!

How about a shave?

November 06, 2004, 09:10:14 AM
Reply #28

Iavas

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Contradictory
    • View Profile
Basilisk Lizard
Boat Shoes
Water Surface Tension

Simple google search, and I didn't read too indepth into it. So if I missed a mistake whilst scanning, please tell me.
QUOTES:

November 06, 2004, 09:23:29 AM
Reply #29

Darkduck

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Veritas' Nazgūl
    • View Profile
    • OMG VERITAS CLICK HEARE!
Yeah Iavas.  Why don't we just make up something random that doesn't work and tell people about it?  I mean, (10^20 - 1) / (10^20) times they're probably just going to plunge into the water and get soaked, but HEY, that's fun!

Thiefdeath your sig image is too large. Smallify, delete, of face my wrath.
"Well, aside from sustaining massive internal injuries in a plane crash, and being chased by the army, the navy, and a troop of girl scouts, yeah, I'm, uh, just peachy."
~DD