Author Topic: Night terrors, an intro, and some rambling  (Read 5998 times)

January 02, 2004, 04:03:40 PM
Read 5998 times

Basim

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Not sure if I should wrap up my intro and first serious post, but hey - whatever, right?

Ever since I was a kid - say, thirteen or fourteen - I've had night terrors. In brief, for those of you that don't know, night terrors can be described as your body being awake while your mind's still asleep. I don't normally remember mine, but you can imagine the kind of damage seeing demons in one's room can do to a kid just hitting puberty.

Now, the important part here is that I kept having the same one - a lady would appear in front of me, I would freak out, and then my parents would find me curled in a fetal position on the floor ranting about demons and ghosts. Thing is that she didn't actually look like a demon or a ghost - just a tall blonde lady in a white dress. Classically beautiful, I guess.

Anyway, I've always been pretty - mundane, I guess, for lack of a better term, until a few months ago. After six years  (I'm almost twenty now) of this, something changed. She started _rotting_. No clue why, the only thing I know is that I'm living with my girlfriend, her parents, her aunt, and her six-year-old brother, and one night I suddenly find myself fleeing from a shambling corpse that decayed right the hell in front of me. I reach a new level of terror, my girlfriend's brother starts crying in the shrill voice that only a prepubescent can manage, and her parents (and aunt) start wondering if I'm a certifiable psychopath.

Right. So.

I had to try _something_, you know? But I'd been to therapy before, but they had absolutely no idea what was wrong - my childhood was angst-free, I wasn't abused by any women (or men, for that matter), and none of my relationships with the sex I'm attracted to were traumatic.

So a friend suggested to me that I take up psionics as a sort of alternate therapy. After getting the basics down and learning how to manipulate my own emotions to create a sense of balance during my waking hours, I still have the same night terrors.

So, uh... sorry if I ranted, this is my first time actually posting to a group like this. Basically, my question is this: have any of you heard of this before, and do you have any idea how I could fix it?

I appreciate your replies in advance.

- Basim
"I am not a wise man, but I am a strong one, and I know right from wrong..."

January 02, 2004, 05:22:58 PM
Reply #1

SilentArm

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I may have no experince with your type of situation but I can probably give yo little help. Little help is better than no help. What i need is a little more information on the description what you see. From there I can give the little help I can give.

I'm no expert so i'll do my best, but only think about what I have to say. More experienced ones can help you.,
~SilentArm, 14
Favorite Quotes""

"A successful man is on who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that orther throw at him"-newpaper

January 02, 2004, 06:27:41 PM
Reply #2

Alex

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Damn man, that sucks.  Usually you grow out of night terrors after a while.  But I need to know more to see if I can really help you.

If you can recall these experiences, are you in a state of paralysis while you view this rotting corpse or are you free to move?

January 02, 2004, 08:34:48 PM
Reply #3

Basim

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
For the record, I appreciate _any_ effort to help.

What I actually see:

Previously, like I said, it was a tall (about my height - 5'9", I guess) blonde woman. Almost emaciated, actually, but just short of the look you see on runway models. She wears an old-school white dress - lots of lace and frills, sort of like a modern interpretation of a Victorian-era thing - and she's even whiter than the dress. Not quite sickly - like I said (I think), there's nothing outwardly wrong with her, it's just that some part of me is screaming "SHE IS WRONG SHE IS WRONG" in my ear. You know how you just know things in a dream? Yeah, that's it.

Anyway, now she's rotting. Her skin's sort of a parchment yellow, now, and coming up in large flakes. Her hair isn't all there - actually, now that I think about it, it's a lot like what you would see in a terminal case of cancer - lots of stringy stuff. Her dress is decaying, too (it's also the same color yellow, more or less) and her eyes have the glassy look that dead people have.

As for moving around - yeah, I can, but my mind isn't really "awake" so the only thing I can do is flee into the bathroom or kitchen (she can't enter brightly lit areas, or maybe it snaps my brain back into functioning - whichever). I've never been paralyzed during one of these episodes.

- Basim

January 02, 2004, 10:06:39 PM
Reply #4

Alex

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Hm, so that rules out sleep paralysis.  Man, I feel for you and your plight.  When I was younger, I would have nightmares almost daily.  Can you tell me, if anything, what does she do when you see her?

January 03, 2004, 09:36:09 AM
Reply #5

Basim

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Quote from: Alex
Hm, so that rules out sleep paralysis.  Man, I feel for you and your plight.  When I was younger, I would have nightmares almost daily.  Can you tell me, if anything, what does she do when you see her?

Absolutely nothing. The basic sequence is she appears, I "wake up" and see her, then my body snaps into auto pilot, freaks out from the wrongness or whatever and runs like a schoolboy, usually screaming bloody murder.

Sometimes I can remember her grabbing for me, but she never quite catches me.

- Basim

January 03, 2004, 03:11:36 PM
Reply #6

SilentArm

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I have a theory for this Its a twist of reincarnation and the mind with a pinch of communication.

The being before you could be what your soul had meet before and or is scared or discusted  by hate, anger or fear. Which makes your sould tell your mind to flee from or disagree with this image.
or

Your mind couldn't accept such a term to were it takes control can makes you flee.
or

This being could be trying to communicated wiht you until it structure could no longer exits on this playing field.

I suggest ,but do not wish:
-You could meditate on this being two be brought to your or search for the answer on why it is constantly appearing near you.

-Try to overide "auto-pilot" mode when you awaken from sleep and try to communicate.

I hope this theory might help.

An empath at soul,
~SilentArm, 14
Favorite Quotes""

"A successful man is on who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that orther throw at him"-newpaper

January 03, 2004, 06:05:26 PM
Reply #7

Shadeknight X

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
crap dude srry i cant help ill think about it for a few days and see if i can come up with somethin (probably not) hope u find a way to fix it. best thing i can think of right now is wat silentarm came up with.
Po-"Hello grasshoper how is my favorite student today?"

Caine-"I'm fine old man. How about you?"

-Kung Fu (tv series)

January 03, 2004, 10:18:46 PM
Reply #8

Abyss

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Hey basim

i had something like that

my eyes were locked in a certain position that i could not move them, like, i could feel my body getting up and moving around, but my point of view remained the same, like i was seeing faces in this poster i have in my room, and my would get up and try to move around, and i could, but like i said, my sight was locked in that position. I dunno if thats the same thing as what you are talking about, but it was some freaky deaky shit. hah
-Ninja for real

January 03, 2004, 10:24:36 PM
Reply #9

Abyss

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
one more thing i forgot to add

you know what you should do, infact we ALL should do this.
face her man, straight up, just confront her next time this shit happens, dont confront her cautiously, do it while keeping in mind the people around you, all who love you man, use that as back up. Dont let some rotting bitch fuck with you, man, wake up and take back control. But remeber man, you gotta have back up, like emotions to back you up, like, keep thinking about people you love, that ususally helps one overcome things. Like you ever hear of like mother liftin up cars to save their babies and shit? yeah, love is a powerful thing man, anyways, CONFRONT HER!
that goes for the rest of you people out there too, confront your fears, and i promise you i will do it too!
-Ninja for real

January 30, 2004, 10:50:18 PM
Reply #10

Morghul

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Hey,

Well...I dunno..but just two nights ago I had this weird dream/Ap experience. I was asleep, and dreaming I suppose, but the thing is, I was also awake and conciously narrating the entire 'dream.' I was in this old church or cathedral or old style big house thingy, cleaning it...for some reason :confused: ...it was getting on in the evening and I only had an old-school lamp. Anyway, one of my friends showed up and suddenly I got this realy weird freaky vibe. He led me up some stairs to the second level of the house and he went through a door, there was a small light in the room, though otherwise dark. I went through and I saw the chick you are describing. I hadnt read this post before the dream. Anyway, as soon as I saw here I freaked out...I was terrified. As you say, she didnt look very scarey, just...strange. She was very white..her skin, hair, clothing...and appeared to have a strangely shaped head. Then I felt myself being sucked/running scared back into my body...then I was aware of my physical body and I awoke.

This is the first time i've had the 'dream.'

About what Abyss said about confronting them...fuck man...it's like total mindless terror/panic. But I have had other dreams like this when I was very young. Except this was a standard witch on a brookstick cruising around my house. After like a month of this 'dream' I got psyched up and tackled her off her broom. I'm pretty sure I never had the dream again.

Morghul

January 31, 2004, 05:18:31 PM
Reply #11

_jujitsu_

• Veritas Furniture

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
You say that you feel a sense of wrongness eminating of this woman, but cant conciously understand what it is?  This makes me think that it is your subconicious that has picked this up, and your sunconcious can pick up a lot of different wavlengths your concious cant.  Try meditating on the question "what is wrong with her?" until you get an answer.  if you can understand that i believe you will begin to understand wht this is all about.

On another note i have had things like this before, (that have recurred though not as much), and yes there is somthing about light that seems to ease everything away, all the fear - which your the problem.  After my last episode i couldnt sleep without with light on for a few months and im 17 soon to be 18!!!  Anyway i've got over that, but now sleep with my nunchucks next to me, and if it happens again you better be sure whatever it is imaginary or real, it'll get the shit beat out of it, no joke.

I know you want it to stop altogether but if you find a comforter, it will die down, even if its still in the background, at least you wont have the episodes, and it'll give you time to think.
One night I was a butterfly, fluttering happily around.
Then i awoke, and found that I was a man.
But what am I in truth?
A man who dreams he is a butterfly,[/colo

January 31, 2004, 06:26:22 PM
Reply #12

cyropsion_26

• Veritas Furniture

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
hey, why dont you try lucid dreaming?  then you will know that you are dreaming and wont freak out.  Plus then you can confront this "thing" and maybe find whats causing your night terrors.

January 31, 2004, 07:17:00 PM
Reply #13

Narkotic

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Iv been having a similar dream to Morghul only i dont see the lady's head just her hair and her clothes (white with a blue stripe, like a robe) and i just freak out, go crazy and her this weird noise like a high pitched sound goin high then a bit low, its real freaky the dream thing i mean trust me confroting the lady is hard to do at the time, very hard coz i just go into a state of panic well anyways yea iv been having the same thing
"First they ignore you,
then they laugh at you,
then they fight you,
then you win."  
 :fightmonk
"Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them."
 :doggie:  :p

January 31, 2004, 07:57:56 PM
Reply #14

Darcan

• A Veritas Regular

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
Does this happen all the time? just some of the time? if so, what happened during those days that might be similar to others in which you have had the same night terror? Maybe a trigger of something in those days made you have this nightmare type sequence.

Light always seems to comfort people because if they can see what is around them they believe themselves in control of the situation. I find solace in the dark, because it forces me to rely on my senses to get me through the situation. If there were something that I couldn't see in the room with me, isn't there the possibility that when I turned on the light, things would be worse knowing what the entity in the room was after the light was turned on as opposed to having it off? In the dark it could be anything. In the light, it can become a terrifying reality.

Are you sure that the lady has nothing to do with you? Blonde hair and an old dress (is it a nightgown?) and beautiful seem to be specific enough. The feeling you get from her might not just be that something about her is wrong but also that some "evil" is about her that you care not to name. What could possibly be wrong about an attractive woman in a dress? When she starts rotting in front of you after being whole and beautiful after all these years, then you could say something was wrong. I agree with jujitsu on this, meditate to find your answer.

Have you tried any other sleeping techniques? Deep sleep induced by self hypnosis? Try something that you feel comfortable with and if it works, keep at it. If you really wanted to have it go away, you would have to confront it immediately, finding it during the day, using whatever means available to you to recede inside yourself to confront her or seek her out on any level you can. You cannot wait for another visit.

If you do get visited, try scanning her if possible. Don't hurt yourself in doing so. If your subconscious is already screaming that something is wrong without a conscious scan, it is probable that even a surface scan could damage you psychologically.

Hope I helped.
Litany of Fear
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.