Author Topic: A quick question, and help.  (Read 2447 times)

October 07, 2004, 09:42:47 PM
Read 2447 times

Almis

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Hey everyone,  I was wondering if anyone knew how I could achieve a one figured pushup?  Any training methods or just thoughts on it.

Right now I can do a three fingered one-handed push up and I just want to drop off two of the fingers.  Any help would be appreciated.
Imagination is more important than Knowledge.  Knowledge is limited, Imagination encircles the world.
-Albert Einstein

October 08, 2004, 12:04:01 AM
Reply #1

neijia

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
why on earth would you want to do something like that?
"If you make yourself more than just a man...if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else, entirely."
-Batman Begins trailer

All Hail Huang.
http://www.geocities.com/huangskungfu/Intro.html

October 08, 2004, 12:04:55 AM
Reply #2

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
I think it's easier to begin with the thumb, as you can support it using other fingers at first.  A two-thumb push-up is as far as I've gone myself, so that's as far as my advice extends.  (It's your fault, not mine, if you break something.)

I think there are probably more meaningful ways to strengthen the fingers, such as open/close exercises, squeeze grips, and lifting dumbbells with the fingers.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

October 08, 2004, 12:44:22 AM
Reply #3

Koujiryuu

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Scholar-Warrior

• Personal Text
    內功。導引
    • View Profile
WearySamurai, the reason he likely wants to be able to do them, aside from building his own strength, is because Bruce Lee used to do them daily, and was rather famous for that feat. I'm guessing he's partially inspired by the late kungfu student.

Of course, I may be entirely wrong, but either way I added something. :)
My Articles
Gone from Veritas forever. Blame the staff.

October 08, 2004, 06:33:06 AM
Reply #4

Faijer

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Existential Pragmatist

• Personal Text
    The Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Blog
Strengthen your wrists and forearms. The strength of the fingers comes from their ability to open and close, and the muscles that do that are on the forearm (well, mine seem to change shape when I open and close my hand, so I'm guessing they are there). But actually their position is unimportant, all you need to do is know how to train them - simply open and close a fist rapidly (treat it the same way as any other exercise just modifying the number).

However that said, I find no point in going under using all the fingers. Bruce did it to show strength, but doing it for training would only unbalance the muscle since you're not working all that you could be. If you train the right, you train the left the same amount - Why should training fingers, or the muscles they use be any different?
My WordPress Blog is updated regularly.
NEW UPDATE: Life begins at conception: A thought experiment (29/08/2012)

October 08, 2004, 08:18:55 AM
Reply #5

neijia

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
koujiryuu has a point, however i would still have to agree with talyn that training for something like that will either get you broken fingers, no where, or possibly even success.  but even if you have success, what will you do then?  what is great about doing a push up with one finger?
"If you make yourself more than just a man...if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else, entirely."
-Batman Begins trailer

All Hail Huang.

October 08, 2004, 10:11:24 AM
Reply #6

Almis

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Koujiryuu is correct in the assumption that my insperation for trying to achieve a one fingered pushup is due to the fact that Bruce Lee could do them.  And for me at least I wouldn't use one fingered pushups for training purposses but as a goal to set for my self.  Its just something to shoot for, whether I reach it or not its the end I wish to reach.  

With that said, thank all of you for your input thus far.  And I'd like to now ask if anyone knows any really good ways to staingthen the fingers and forarms.  As far as I've heared thrusting your fingeres into a bucket of loose sand is a good way to straingthen them.  What do you all think?
Imagination is more important than Knowledge.  Knowledge is limited, Imagination encircles the world.
-Albert Einstein

October 08, 2004, 10:38:31 AM
Reply #7

neijia

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
by strengthening do you mean making your fingers stronger or more sturdy?  a good excercise is to clench your fist so that you are flexing your forearm.  then open your hand and close it keeping that same tenseness.  that will make your fingers stronger.  for sturdiness, lightly bang them against each other like you were clapping or something.
-Batman Begins trailer

All Hail Huang.

October 09, 2004, 03:11:25 PM
Reply #8

Alhireth-Hotep

• A Familiar Feature

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    Hundred-plus Club
    • View Profile
The exercise our sensei has recommended a couple of times, which I've never tried so I have no idea how well it actually works, is as follows:  Take a single sheet of newspaper.  Hold it by one corner at arm's reach.  Without much moving your hand in space, crumple it into a tight ball.  Repeat on both sides until your hands fall off.

October 11, 2004, 03:43:36 PM
Reply #9

Sir William Perkins

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I would probably not pursue such a thing yet If I did I would start by doing them against a wall because the tention would be less as soon as that becomes to simple a task I would then gradually change the incline used to create more tention by using hills or other suitable structures until finally you have suceeded in to needing the inclines no more and have finally moved to using the floor. I would not reccomend working yourself down the wall though its to risky and can place to much stress on your finger as well as not distributing it within the proper places. Another method to prepare may be to first try doing the pushups on your knees instead of your feet. Take care and I hope your careful not to snap your finger out of place.

October 11, 2004, 07:43:49 PM
Reply #10

Chaoticon

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Personally I do two reps of 60 pushups every morning. Like some otheres have said, why unbalance the muscle system by training only partial. Ive found that a good way to build finger strength is to somewhat cup your hand when you do a pushup. That way your still using every muscle one can.
Those who drink the elixir of life may live forever, but those who do not may die with honor.

October 12, 2004, 05:40:51 PM
Reply #11

Nik Miller

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    pfft...your mom
    • View Profile
doing pushups on your fists increase wrist stablility.  and just work your way up to the one finger thing...The way i do it now is i splay my fingers out so my weight is on all 5 fingertips on each hand.  works pretty good
Nik Miller

Hah, 10 lbs, thats a knife. My barbarian death killing torture broad sword made from pure titanio-dimondolium weighs 455 lbs!

"Those with wisdom loath the one forced to defend"  Johannes Liechtenauer

"...A dispondent heart will always be defeated regardless of all skill"Sigmund Ringeck

October 15, 2004, 12:17:01 AM
Reply #12

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I'd agree with Nik on this. Simply progress slowly. Start off with normal pushups, perhaps interchanging with fist pushups (pushups on your fists, rather then open hands) until you are going well in those and are strong. Then, as Nik said, do it on your fingertips with them all splayed apart. Slowly progress until your fingers are much closer together but still just on the fingertips. Then you can start taking away fingers like the pinky fingers first. Then after a while, ring finger. However, as you start taking away fingers, I'd advise spreading the fingers you are using apart again to maintain easier balance and so all the weight isn't so centralized on a smaller surface if you know what I mean. Just progress like that.
don't believe everything you read... especially if it comes from me.