Author Topic: A guide to Samsara  (Read 3235 times)

September 17, 2004, 03:43:08 AM
Read 3235 times

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
Due to a philosophical debate on the irc (yes they do exist),  I decided to do a few articles on Buddhism, the first of these on the wheel of life and death, and samsara.

Now before I begin, I would like say that I don’t pretend to know everything about Buddhism so if I get anything wrong please tell me, and also to say thanks for everyone who helped with the picture size etc.

------------

The first image (see below)  is a picture of the wheel of life and death, this is a very old mandala used to teach important ideas on Buddhism. The picture is believes to be as much as 2,500 years old, first ‘drawn’ by the Buddha himself.

Firstly, in the centre is a pig representing greed, a snake representing hatred and a rooster representing delusion, these are called either the three natures or three poisons and shows that they feed of each other and also are what keep human beings in the endless cycle of rebirth.

The next ring shows the law of karma the idea that you fall down through the realms then climb up again in an endless cycle.

The next ring shows the six realms of samsara:

Heaven the top ring is formed out of good karma e.g. charitable deeds, and therefore is only good, however there is no desire here to become enlightened and escape Samsara so eventually your karma will run out and you will have to leave.

Ausras the next realm going round clockwise is the realm of powerful spirits who are constantly at war, and motivated by envy. This realm is formed by the devoted i.e. priests who are jealous and envious, this realm is therefore ruled by jealousy. The great wars and turmoil in this realm stops you being able to become enlightened.

Hungry ghost realm, this realm is the realm of the hungry ghosts who are consumed by hunger and thirst and are never fulfilled. This realm is made of greed and extreme selfishness and because of the constant thirst and hunger they may not become enlightened.

The hell realm, this is the worst realm of all, made of anger, those that have harboured extreme anger suffer here under constant torture. The extreme pain here means they may never become enlightened.

The beast realm, created by ignorance this realm is ruled by ignorance, those that were ignorant in their beliefs or acted like animals, I.e. raping people in their previous life reside here. Beings cannot become enlightened here because they are ignorant and only follow instincts.

The human realm, this realm, this realm is formed of both good and bad karma and consequently is has both good and bad in it. Here beings may choose the path of enlightenment or corruption; man can study good and bad and therefore become enlightened. As a result this is therefore is perhaps the best realm being the only place in which you can become enlightened.

The outer-most ring is divided into 12 divisions, and it symbolises the 12 Karma Formations (the links of dependent origination). The Buddha taught that everything arises and exists in dependence on other things. Enlightenment can only be attained by freeing oneself from all of the 12 karma formations.

• Craving -- two young people are depicted falling in love and represents emotions of craving.
• Feeling -- The arrow piercing the figure's eye showing way in which emotion strike us.
• Contact -- the operation of the six sense results in contact with things of this world & in turn leads to the arising of feeling and desire.
• Six senses -- Sight, smell, taste, hearing , touch and thought
• Name & Form -- Activity of consciousness condition, the arising of name and form symbolise by two figures
• Consciousness -- the monkey swing randomly from branch to branch represents the absence of control over consciousness
• Act of Volition -- the potter moulds their own fate (karma) in the pots they production, each one represents a deed, such as acting, thinking, or speaking.
• Ignorance -- represent here by a blind man is the first of traditional 12 factors
• Old age & death -- the inevitable consequence of birth is illness, anxiety, old age & death.
• Rebirth -- natural consequence of sensual contact & marriage is birth
• Becoming -- the man & woman are prisoners of sensory simulation of touch.
• Clinging -- the man plucking fruits from a tree represents the sensual entanglement of desire and possession.

And finally on the outside there is a picture of Yama lord of death shown eating it, to symbolise that the realms of form may be destroyed at any time. Also in the top right a Buddha showing that the practices of Buddhism can liberate beings from samsara, and a hare showing that we must make haste.

---------

The second image (see below) is a Japanese wood printing showing the six realms of rebirth and the four realms of attainments making up 10 realms. The caption explains that all the different realms are only the manifestation of one's mind/heart. Hence, a person's mind/heart/actions determine his/her path and the realms, which he/she ultimately reaches.

---------

Orthas

ps i would like to add that the reason this is done in several posts is i don't know how to manage attachments well enough to post it all in one go.  (taken care of)

pps i would also liike to ask that people could post comments so i know what you all think.
“And you shall drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste.” -Almustafa, Garden of the Prophet.

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

September 17, 2004, 03:44:03 AM
Reply #1

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
the wheel of life and death

to view this image in larger form just copy and paste the picture is infact much larger.
“And you shall drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste.” -Almustafa, Garden of the Prophet.

September 17, 2004, 03:46:10 AM
Reply #2

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
Above is A picture of the wheel of life and death, this is a very old mandala used to teach important ideas on Buddhism.  The picture is believes to be as much as 2,500 years old, first ‘drawn’ by the Buddha himself.

Firstly, in the centre is a pig representing greed, a snake representing hatred and a rooster representing delusion, these are called either the three natures or three poisons and shows that they feed of each other and also are what keep human beings in the endless cycle of rebirth.

The next ring shows the law of karma the idea that you fall down through the realms then climb up again in an endless cycle.

The next ring shows the six realms of samsara:

Heaven the top ring is formed out of good karma e.g. charitable deeds, and therefore is only good, however there is no desire here to become enlightened and escape Samsara so eventually your karma will run out and you will have to leave.

Ausras the next realm going round clockwise is the realm of powerful spirits who are constantly at war, and motivated by envy.  This realm is formed by the devoted i.e. priests who are jealous and envious, this realm is therefore ruled by jealousy.  The great wars and turmoil in this realm stops you being able to become enlightened.

Hungry ghost realm, this realm is the realm of the hungry ghosts who are consumed by hunger and thirst and are never fulfilled.  This realm is made of greed and extreme selfishness and because of the constant thirst and hunger they may not become enlightened.

The hell realm, this is the worst realm of all, made of anger, those that have harboured extreme anger suffer here under constant torture.  The extreme pain here means they may never become enlightened.

The beast realm, created by ignorance this realm is ruled by ignorance, those that were ignorant in their beliefs or acted like animals, I.e. raping people in their previous life reside here.  Beings cannot become enlightened here because they are ignorant and only follow instincts.

The human realm, this realm, this realm is formed of both good and bad karma and consequently is has both good and bad in it.  Here beings may choose the path of enlightenment or corruption; man can study good and bad and therefore become enlightened.  As a result this is therefore is perhaps the best realm being the only place in which you can become enlightened.

The outer-most ring is divided into 12 divisions, and it symbolises the 12 Karma Formations (the links of dependent origination). The Buddha taught that everything arises and exists in dependence on other things. Enlightenment can only be attained by freeing oneself from all of the 12 karma formations.

•   Craving -- two young people are depicted falling in love and represents emotions of craving.
•   Feeling -- The arrow piercing the figure's eye showing way in which emotion strike us.
•   Contact -- the operation of the six sense results in contact with things of this world & in turn leads to the arising of feeling and desire.
•   Six senses -- Sight, smell, taste, hearing , touch and thought
•   Name & Form -- Activity of consciousness condition, the arising of name and form symbolise by two figures
•   Consciousness -- the monkey swing randomly from branch to branch represents the absence of control over consciousness
•   Act of Volition -- the potter moulds their own fate (karma) in the pots they production, each one represents a deed, such as acting, thinking, or speaking.
•   Ignorance -- represent here by a blind man is the first of traditional 12 factors
•   Old age & death -- the inevitable consequence of birth is illness, anxiety, old age & death.
•   Rebirth -- natural consequence of sensual contact & marriage is birth
•   Becoming -- the man & woman are prisoners of sensory simulation of touch.
•   Clinging -- the man plucking fruits from a tree represents the sensual entanglement of desire and possession.

And finally on the outside there is a picture of Yama lord of death shown eating it, to symbolise that the realms of form may be destroyed at any time.  Also in the top right a Buddha showing that the practices of Buddhism can liberate beings from samsara, and a hare showing that we must make haste.

September 17, 2004, 03:48:54 AM
Reply #3

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
A japanese wood print

September 17, 2004, 03:50:23 AM
Reply #4

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
A Japanese wood printing showing the six realms of rebirth and the four realms of attainments making up 10 realms. The caption explains that all the different realms are only the manifestation of one's mind/heart. Hence, a person's mind/heart/actions determine his/her path and the realms, which he/she ultimately reaches.

Orthas

ps i would like to add that the reason this is done in several posts is i don't know how to manage attachments well enough to post it all in one go.

pps i would also liike to ask that people could post comments so i know what you all think.

September 17, 2004, 09:07:39 AM
Reply #5

VERiTAS

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
"Craving -- two young people are depicted falling in love and represents emotions of craving"

I have a lot of time for Budhism - but I cant get with celibacy and having a woman is a attachment and all that malarky - doesnt matter how enlightened one could become - it is our bodies natural instinct to lie with woman and even if you feel complete as a human.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificandoque Invenies Occultum Lapidem

September 17, 2004, 10:11:10 AM
Reply #6

Athiril

• Veritas Furniture

• Reverend Lucious

• View Profile
    • PhotoDan
Bohidharma still had a wife didn't he? or some other famous buddhist did, as he is famous for his "middle way", "satisfying life is not evil"

September 17, 2004, 10:22:31 AM
Reply #7

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
it doesn't mean falling in love and marrying is wrong, but if the relationship falls apart don't force it to keep going or stalk someone, let things run there cource.  Of cource don't have an affair but if it isn't working don't wish it could work and be consumed by craving for it to work.

September 17, 2004, 11:22:55 AM
Reply #8

VERiTAS

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
Quote from: Orthas
it doesn't mean falling in love and marrying is wrong, but if the relationship falls apart don't force it to keep going or stalk someone, let things run there cource.  Of cource don't have an affair but if it isn't working don't wish it could work and be consumed by craving for it to work.

No harm Orthas - but at 15 you may have a lot to learn about one of the true great mysteries - the femal psyche  :D
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificandoque Invenies Occultum Lapidem

September 17, 2004, 11:48:41 AM
Reply #9

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
I'm not offended but i would like to make sure that people know that i don't preach that women are evil, the sin is attachment, because with attachment you may not achieve enlightenment.  After all how can you become free from the world if you are attached to parts of it.

September 17, 2004, 02:41:04 PM
Reply #10

TNM_Mist

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Orthas there are so many inconsistencies and wrong statements that if I were to attempt to correct them all that I would end up writing a book.

September 17, 2004, 02:50:37 PM
Reply #11

TNM_Mist

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Athiril I doubt that Damo had a wife.. He meditated alone in a cave for 9 years...  I've only had a few girlfriends myself,  but I know they've gotten mad at me when didn't call them for a few days.. Imagine 9 years...