Author Topic: I can read your mind....  (Read 1775 times)

August 28, 2004, 11:27:27 PM
Read 1775 times

ZoomKnot

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Of late, I have been interested in cold reading.

Does anyone here study this decieptive art?  If yes, what techniques do you use?

If not, here is a link to briefly describe what it is...

http://www.theness.com/coldread.html

August 28, 2004, 11:54:23 PM
Reply #1

solstice

• Posts By Osmosis

• Dreamwalker

• Personal Text
    "Receive and transmit..."
    • View Profile
I dont have to decieve people... but I know how to certainly spot it.
Tell all the Truth but tell it slant: Success in Circuit lies.  Too bright for our infirm Delight. The Truth's superb surprise. As Lightning to the Children eased, with explanation kind.  The Truth must dazzle gradually, or every man be blind.
Tefeari: The Giant Impact Hypothesis is a theory

August 29, 2004, 01:28:16 AM
Reply #2

ZoomKnot

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Well, I am not as adept as you are in uncovering liars, hence my interest in cold reading.

August 29, 2004, 05:35:58 AM
Reply #3

SereneChaos

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
Watch John Edwards?

August 29, 2004, 06:18:16 AM
Reply #4

ZoomKnot

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I do not have cable TV and the sci-fi channel does not exist where I currently live.

August 30, 2004, 11:47:20 PM
Reply #5

kakkarot

• Posts By Osmosis

• 0. The Fool... Inverted?

• Personal Text
    Pirate "Not-A-Mod" BoB
    • View Profile
*laughs at SC* :P

actually, cold reading has it's place, when trying to garnish information from someone. If your purpose is to "prove" that metaphysics exists, then sure, cold reading [edit] ISN'T [/edit... whoops ^_^; ] the way to go. But if you're JUST trying to get information, then "if it works, it works" :).

I personally use a variety of things to garnish information from a person when I want information, including use of various psychic senses, telepathy, "truth sensing", cold reading, plainly asking questions, and reading body language, along with a few other things. The more information, gathered from a variety of sources, which all point to one thing raises the "chance" that whatever-the-information-points-to is correct.

As for cold reading, learning how to lead a conversation certainly helps :). But basically, you're asking questions which seem to be vague, open-ended questions but are in reality questions designed to produce specific types of information from the person answering. Combining the information gleaned from several seemingly unrelated questions can often allow you to seem to know more than others might think you should. Some ability to guess in an educated manner is an asset ;).

~kakkarot
Philippians 2:5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,  7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

August 31, 2004, 05:55:38 AM
Reply #6

SereneChaos

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
But please, use this new found power for good, we don't need another maniac cramming up the TV screen with metaphysical "bullshit".

"I'm feeling...an...M, yes, and M, is there anyone in here with a connection to M, Michael maybe?"

-.-

August 31, 2004, 06:27:36 AM
Reply #7

Neo

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
lmao, I know. :|
Don't annoy me, or I'll set my kamehamehamsters on you!