Author Topic: Class in the Making.  (Read 31371 times)

August 14, 2004, 10:50:09 AM
Reply #30

Trowa

• Veritas Moderator
  • Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Prophecy, for those of us who are accepted, but cannot access the current IRC server Veritas is using(due to an unremovable firewall), would you have us give you updates of our progress via e-mail or some other source?

Also, would you accept students who have previously studied "advanced" techniques, or will these classes be "for beginners only"?

August 14, 2004, 11:18:55 AM
Reply #31

Prophecy

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Theurgist

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
Though the class is designed for to take a student from beginner to considerably intermediate thinking and practice in magic, I have no problem with people already versed in magic applying.  As for the IRC client, all students can update me via PMs, email, or IM as well.

August 14, 2004, 12:44:41 PM
Reply #32

Kyo

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    dude of antiquity
    • View Profile
Count me in for certain!
The Post-Modernist Mage! - Now with 40% more magic!

August 14, 2004, 01:15:37 PM
Reply #33

Orthas

• Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Archivist

• Personal Text
    Page of Cups
    • View Profile
count me in as well
“And you shall drink your cup alone, though it taste of blood and tears, and praise God for the gift of taste.” -Almustafa, Garden of the Prophet.

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

August 14, 2004, 05:32:26 PM
Reply #34

Silversoul

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
Just to clarify. To my understanding, our good friend Prophecy here is going to supply us with applications when the time arrives. So, stating you are interested in participating really won't yield anything. (Well, besides a slightly higher post count. :P)

August 14, 2004, 09:15:15 PM
Reply #35

Rawiri

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Wandering Nomad

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
Plus the fact that most people who have posted here are obviously interested, there definately is no need to state it.

August 21, 2004, 09:01:53 PM
Reply #36

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Is 15 a definite limit to students? Because, from the looks of it, a lot of people are going to get really depressed. Not only the amount of people interested, but I've been talking to some people and learned the intensity of the interest. Myself and Vitamyst have both agreed that we'll go into some kind of fit of rage and lose all sanity if we don't get in. =P

What will the application have on it, briefly? As in, what kind of things are going to determine who should be chosen? Obviously it won't just be a first 15 people to say "Pick me" (I dont think O_O), so what will it be based on?

Will logs by any chance be posted under articles in the future after classes for those who didn't get in, or who weren't here at the time or whatever, or would this become some kind of compelely private thing between you and your students (until/if it is taught more publicly later)? And, what of the idea of different timezones as well as simply times that people can agree on. If it's being held in IRC, how would you accomodate people in different time zones, or are they just going to have to deal with the fact that they can't participate (assuming they would even have been accepted anyway)?

I look forward to the possibility of getting in, and think it's a great idea. You kickass Proph =P
don't believe everything you read... especially if it comes from me.

August 22, 2004, 01:12:20 PM
Reply #37

Prophecy

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Theurgist

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
15 is the ideal limit, yes.  Originally, I was only going to have 5-8 students, but expanded the limit due to the length of the class.  As I believe I mentioned about the time zone differences earlier, we shall try to work out a time that fits MOST the different time zones, though I acknowledge that I will rarely have all 15 students in any given IRC session.  For those who may not be able to make it to particular classes from time to time, logs will be provided in the private forums for my students, and then the students who missed the chat itself can email, PM, or IM me with any input or questions they have.  I can assure you, however, that even if a particular time is convenient for 14 of the students, it will not be the time of the lessons if that 15th student will never be able to make a single class due to his/her scheduale.  Out of 24 hours in a day, and 7 days in a week, I shall try my hardest to find one time in the week that it is at least possible for all 15 students to attend, even if they can not attend every class,  so that no one student will ever completely miss out on the interactive classroom experience.  

Concerning the teachings themselves, most of it shall be restricted to my personal students, and not released publicly on the forums.  However, as time progresses, varying degrees of certain subjects covered in my classes will be made into an article for the main userbase here at Veritas, though shall not be as detailed as the original lesson itself.  I may also expand upon several of my current articles after having conversations with my students about the corresponding subjects, as several of the classes themselves will be nothing but discussion about one of my public articles here at Veritas.  

The limit of 15 students, Tsumaru, is not set in stone, but would be ideal to keep the nature of the classes personalized.  I was not expecting these many people to wish for application, unaware we had so many interested in magic, and may expand the limit to 20.  The applications shall be judged according to there content.  If it looks like the questions were answered and filled in a way that would suggest the applicant was serious about wantint to learn, and dedicated enough to do so, that person shall be considered above the rest.  For example, one of the questions on the application is:

"3.) What is your goal?  What fruits would you like to reap from your studies?  Provide, and explain why."

If an applicant answers that question with "i want to bcome powrful because i think it would b cool and because lots of people hav dun meen things to me and they need to be punished can you please help me.", that person will most certainly not be considered as a potential student as much as the individual who answers it in an extended, detailed, well-written manner(the likes of which I will not provide an example of, to prevent copying).  Also, I can assure you that anyone who puts "Please please please let me be your student" will not be considered as a potential student.  

Furthermore, the final question on the application is an essay question that requires the applicant find a specific esoteric text(which I made sure was easy to find online), and then write a 300+ word summary on a chapter of his choice within that book.  Now naturally I am not expecting a beautifully crafted, educational essay concerning the chosen chapter.  I don't even expect any of the applicant's conclusions about that chapter to be correct.  However, even if most of his conclusions on that chapter that he provides in his summary are wrong, he will still likely be chosen as a potential student, provided that it is obvious he truly tried.  Why?  Because it shows that he posesses the dedication required to be a student of magic.   I will not waste my time and effort speaking to undedicated children with A.D.D.

August 22, 2004, 01:29:53 PM
Reply #38

VERiTAS

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
Why would you not allow the information of your teaching to be accessed by all, when ever and however they wish amd share you teachings. To not openly share knowledge seems like secrecy and inticement.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificandoque Invenies Occultum Lapidem

August 22, 2004, 02:29:43 PM
Reply #39

Prophecy

• Teacher Emeritus
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Theurgist

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
I'd like these classes to be an ongoing project.  If I posted everything I taught the first time around, then not only would certain things that are best given to personal, trusted students be open and useable by any dabbler who thought killing his grandmother via magic would be a cool idea, but there would be no point in continuing the classes, as all the information would be publicly accessible.  I do plan, in time, to release most of the classes in an organized manner to the public, however, that time is far in the future.  

Furthermore, there is a certain order in which the material in the lessons is supposed to be learned.  If it were all made public, people could skip everything they didn't feel was neccesary and go on to what they thought sounded cool, similar to a child who joins martial arts and instantly wants to be taught black belt-level "kill techniques."  The result would be a few dabblers that would try things with magic that could literally not only destroy their lives, but the lives of  EVERY SINGLE PERSON THEY KNEW.   I have seen magicians start vomitting blood because they conjured a force they did not know how to control, which could have been avoided if they had simply spent their time with the neccessary preliminary studies.  

I am sorry, VERiTAS, if this seemed overtly defensive.  I simply did not take kindly to having this project, which I have already spent a life-consuming amount of time preparing so that the Veritas Academy would have among the only free teaching services on the net in regards to the occult,  called "inticement."  Such a display of unappreciation for someone's work, no matter who's, bothers me to some extent.  There are simply some things that don't need to be openly, freely accessible to everyone.  As I said, in time logs will be released in essay form to serve as compliments for already existent articles, but even then I will likely only make public the 1st and 2nd course materials.

August 22, 2004, 02:41:08 PM
Reply #40

VERiTAS

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
Thanks for your sincere reply - I have sent you my incredibly short application and look forward to your reply.

Veritas
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificandoque Invenies Occultum Lapidem

August 22, 2004, 04:18:56 PM
Reply #41

kobok

• Tech Team
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Veritas Council

• Personal Text
    Veritas Council
    • View Profile
Quote from: deathpsythe
what bout psionics will we have a class for that?

Yes, in parallel with Prophecy's efforts, I am working on constructing a similar type of class on psi.  More information will be forthcoming.
Latest article:  Construct Dynamics

Want to learn psi?  Check out our collection of psi articles.

August 22, 2004, 05:48:24 PM
Reply #42

Adept

• Posts By Osmosis

• Posting chief

• View Profile
Quote from: Prohecy
"3.) What is your goal? What fruits would you like to reap from your studies? Provide, and explain why."
I knew it! I knew it! I was trying write an answer  in my head when i was takeing a shower this morning. Heh. Oh and that thing about caughing up blood, Yeah That should narrow you search down a bit. Might scare a few off. A might keep thouse in the class from not  trying to summon an elemental king after the first few lessons. Oh and befor I forget, mabie puting people in roughly the same time zones in one class. or asking what would be a good time on the aplication. that way you could keep the schedual fuss to a low. But with anything there will  be a problem with this idea. but hopefuly it may be less of a problem.

~Adept

August 22, 2004, 11:33:53 PM
Reply #43

Tsumaru

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
It'd be harsh to automatically cut students out just because they're in an inconvenient time zone in my opinion. I, personally, have found I have a hard time getting into classes that are held. However, I would at least have preferred to attempt to see if there was a way I could find my way in, rather then have someone just say "Nope, it's gonna be too hard to make it good for you, no chance of you being a student."

Anyway, Veritas just said he already sent in his application. I thought they hadn't been made and released yet! Did I miss something? =/
don't believe everything you read... especially if it comes from me.

August 23, 2004, 11:58:23 AM
Reply #44

Rawiri

• Veritas Teacher
  • Posts By Osmosis

• Wandering Nomad

• Personal Text
    Veritas Teacher
    • View Profile
Anyway, Veritas just said he already sent in his application. I thought they hadn't been made and released yet! Did I miss something? =/

I'm also wondering this, since when did Prophecy release the application's?