Author Topic: Wushu Talou  (Read 2248 times)

July 26, 2004, 06:10:34 AM
Read 2248 times

sargon

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    Back from the dead
    • View Profile
I'm in China right now studying performance martial arts (forms), purely external and not for fighting. It's some of the most demanding exercises I can think of but it's still only external and isn't really a useful fighting practice...

I have no qewstions really just wanted to talk about external martial arts. I think it's a good way to get into shape, and provides a foundation for learning pretty much anything else.

The foundation I'm talking about is flexibility and endurance!

Are there any wushu (forms) talou people on Veritas? It'd be cool to talk about chin to toe, pain, agony, you know the stuff talou people go thru!

July 26, 2004, 10:03:38 PM
Reply #1

qigongguy222

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
actually external arts are better for self defense short term then internal arts

July 27, 2004, 02:52:02 PM
Reply #2

sargon

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    Back from the dead
    • View Profile
short term yea... but still talou isn't really for fighting it's for showing off more than anything. It does give you a healthy body and great speed but it's not real fighting skill. It's pre-determined punches and kicks, I guess if you spar on the side you could develop some fighting abiliy?

Does anyone here stretch for head to toe?

July 27, 2004, 04:19:00 PM
Reply #3

Enlightenment

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/3nl1ght3nm3nt/index.htm
Talou, IMO is one of those things that are fun and nice to look at, but are not for serious use.  I like to think of such practices as toy model boats that are extremely delicate and not made to sail; although they may look prettier and/or better than an actual made to sail toy boat, they cannot be used for real use/application.  In fighting it is the same way, you cannot predetermine what will happen in a fight, it is nearly impossible to do, IMO the odds are 100 to 1 of ever being able to use rehearsed combatative techniques in real combat.  Even if you added sparring, it wouldnt take the impracticalities out of it, and you'd be better off taking a martial art that will serve to be useful in actual combat.  To me, at least, street fighting is nothing compared to martial arts, when they (martial arts) are wielded properly; IMO, street fighting is extremely barbaric and not useful in the least (however, one could say that all fighting is barbaric ^_^;.)  Anyway, in closing, I do not think this is of any use aside from good entertainment.

Be Well.
En: Get into a class.
Preferably a Hatha Yoga class.
Avoid Yogas
Power Yoga, Fitness yoga, Wellness Yoga, Energy Yoga.....
What about NINJA SEX YOGA!!! Is that alright?
Tsu: No :P
ROFL

July 27, 2004, 07:16:56 PM
Reply #4

Trillis

• Posts By Osmosis

• Has a lot of posts

• View Profile
Well, I could be wrong. However, I think Tai Chi would be a nice art. It works you internally and phisically. I'm a beginner to the martial art world. Hell, I just started learning Tai Chi. But so far, Tai chi is the only art that I have come across that can give you an internal workout if done right. Ah, I don't know realy. I'm just rambling. But, tai chi is a good internal workout IMO.

~Trillis