Author Topic: in theory?  (Read 3497 times)

December 26, 2003, 12:34:04 PM
Read 3497 times

diokhan

• A Veritas Regular

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
this is of the top of my head but wouldn't it be theoreticaly possible to create a very small lightningbolt between you hands by mentaly gathering protons in one hand and electrons in the other? if i'm not mistaken lightning flows from positive to negative right? once again this is of the top of my head! what do you guys think?
join the army!
see many places,
meet interesting people,
and KILL them!

December 26, 2003, 01:02:11 PM
Reply #1

Spartan117

• A Familiar Feature

• Hundred-plus Club

• View Profile
well if you could get protons and electrons in your hands(in some amount that it is noticible) it would work, never saw a little lightningbolt/schock when you got a schock from giving someone a hand?
but i woulden't know how to do it on purpose though :P

December 27, 2003, 12:45:17 AM
Reply #2

Viendin

• Veritas Furniture

• Writer-Scholar-Fighter

• Personal Text
    Writer-Scholar-Fighter
    • View Profile
Heh, sorry bud, but that isn't the way physics works, that isn't even theoretically possible.

Lightning is made of particles, those are electrons.

If you have an object made of X atoms with X number of electrons in one hand, and an object made of Y atoms with Y number of electrons in the other, and Y was less than X, then you moved them close together, and the air was relatively damp and warm, then a small bit of electricity would jump, and if there were enough electrons, and the air was damp enough, then you might see a tiny whitish-blue bolt!

Remember: Protons are not things you can just sit a ways away from electrons, the proton never moves.

In high energy decay experiments, the proton might change into an electron and an electron neutrino, but we just can't do that.  :elephant:
Deep in the dark woods, the grey wind blows.
How did it come there, not a soul knows.
Whence it shall leave, and all it shall cleave
are yet to be seen, as further time goes.

http://wammmr.ath.cx/

December 27, 2003, 02:19:18 AM
Reply #3

diokhan

• A Veritas Regular

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
lol i think i got my physics all screwed up! i guess it was worth a try. :p
join the army!
see many places,
meet interesting people,
and KILL them!

December 27, 2003, 09:11:21 AM
Reply #4

SereneChaos

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
this reminds me of the  flying thread on one of the previous incarnations of Veritas. The one where Joe said that if you tried to fly it'd be like getting hit by 72 thousand lightining bolts once you forced all the electrons out of your body...of course, forcing all the electrons out of your body isn't possible, but hey, it's a nice little scenario to think about.

December 27, 2003, 11:28:24 AM
Reply #5

Fear The Dark

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I guess it's always possible. I have made small bolts appear before, not with my mind, but after walking across the carpet at a friends house. I had a terrible surprise when I went to open the door...
Have you run your fingers down the wall
And have you felt your neck skin crawl
When you're searching for the light ?
Sometimes when you're scared to take a look
At the corner of the room
You've sensed that something's watching you.

Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have a constant fear that something's always near
Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have a phobia that someone's always there.

December 29, 2003, 12:06:28 AM
Reply #6

DiabLord

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
It would be possible were it not for one simple fact, the human body conducts electriclty, so the charge inside you would diffuse. You would be able to make them between you and another person, bit of metal or whatever. just keep the charged one off the ground. This is of course provided you can charge yourself or the other object (one way is to rub your feet on carpet).
how the **** do you make a sig???

December 29, 2003, 04:07:14 AM
Reply #7

diokhan

• A Veritas Regular

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
hmm...maybe there is hope afterall! :D it seemed like a reasonable idea when it came to mind not to say impressive!
join the army!
see many places,
meet interesting people,
and KILL them!

December 29, 2003, 09:00:40 AM
Reply #8

Iavas

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    Contradictory
    • View Profile
Okay, first of all, I recommend you try it the normal (aka. nonpsionic) way.
I'm pretty sure this is how the experiment goes, but my memory is a thing of little cohesiveness.

Get a plastic rod and rub it with wool. That charges it negatively. Since protons don't move around much but electrons do, this means that the rod gains electrons from an outside sourse (in this case, the wool). The plastic is not a conductor, so it holds the electrons mostly in place. Now get a glass rod and rub it with silk. This makes the glass lose electrons to the silk, thus charging it positively. Now, if everything works correctly and it's a warm day and all that jazz, there might be enough charge to transfer from the plastic rod to the metal rod without them touching (cuz if they do touch, then you're left with two equally charged rods).

Now for the psionic part. If you can control electrons with your mind (don't bother trying to move protons), move all of them from one hand into the other and do not let any electrons travel between the rest of your body and your hands. Now when you move your hands closer together you should technically get the same effect as when you move the two rods together.

Again, I haven't tried this and by no means put this forward as proof. Just something that my fuzzy memory seems to recall from physics class.
QUOTES:
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
-- William Shakespeare, Hamlet

December 29, 2003, 10:15:50 AM
Reply #9

SereneChaos

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
Iavas is back!
imma steal smiffy's job
*hands Iavas a welcome back cow  :cow: !*