Author Topic: Understanding Heat 101  (Read 1489 times)

June 19, 2004, 07:53:42 PM
Read 1489 times

TheFlameOfGod

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
    • MultiPowerMedia
I have posted this in another forum, and was hoping that it may be useful to y'all as well.

What really happens when one touches the hot pavement on a sunny summer day?
Why does my hand feel hot or warm?
Most of you already understand heat, but in case someone here doesn't, I'm going to elaborate a bit. This is actually more of a challenge than a lesson: a challenge to obtain a new perspective. With this said and off my chest, let us continue with the lesson. . .ermm, uh perspective training.

It is generally said that big things are made out of little things. Let us add to this statement: Little things are made up of littler things. (So what! Littler isn't exactly a word in the Websterís dictionary, but it is in Paul's dictionary. . . continuing on) A book is made out of pages, which is made out of wood, which is made out of molecules, which is made out of atoms, which is made out sub-atomic particles. . . but what makes a hot book? (Sorry. I couldnít resist.) One may have to see that this tiny world of atoms and molecules is always on the move. It never (there are exceptions, but Iíll get to that in another post.) stops. On/In that hot little book are pushy molecules that are continuously bumping into each other. Look at it like bumper cars with drivers that need anger management. One push deserves another, and it becomes a chain reaction. But, just as soon as one of those ticked off drivers turn on the gas, the rest of them follow suit.
Now, rub your hands together. What happens? It is getting warmer. The same thing happens in the bumping car fiesta. The faster you rub your hands together, the warmer it gets; the faster the bumping cars bump together, the warmer it gets. So when you place your hand on the pavement filled with angry drivers, the drivers in your hand begin to get just as angry with all of the pushing and shoving.
My challenge is this: Look not at hot as heat, but as friction. Incorporate this perspective whenever you feel it. It may be of help in pyrokinetic training.
Online RPG in progress. . .Click link below for details.