Author Topic: my martial arts  (Read 946 times)

June 14, 2004, 11:23:58 AM
Read 946 times

rhodium8907

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
first off I will tell you that I am a begginner only seekng information on information that not stuff like DBZ.  I have exercised my ki, I tried to make a ki ball, and I have meditated.  Heck when I first got into this stuff I believed everything I found about ki blasts, spirit bombs and electrokinesis.  I now have grown a little wiser and ruled out a lot of the things I found about ki.  however I do believe that you can manipulate your ki mold into forms say like a ki ball (not a ki blast and all of that stuff just mainly manipulating ki).  I also not only think that blowing up things is extremely unlikely but also if it was, ki should not be used that way.
  Back to the point.  I am looking for a martial arts or philosophy to train by that involves ki but not to the extent of ki blasts.  Right now I am looking at qigong.  If there is someone who is truly knowledgeable or can point me in the direction or a site or book that can answer these questions please do. or tell me about another martial arts that are better fit for what I am seeking.
In qigong, what kind of physical activity is involved?
What are some of the main beliefs?
What kind of spiritial or mental activities are involved?
Further more I want a martial arts or philosophy to practice that has basically none physical activities just mostly meditation and sitting exersices.
I appreciate your comments.
“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.”

~ Mahatma Gandhi

June 14, 2004, 02:19:57 PM
Reply #1

Yaksha

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Hawkins Cheung, a wing chun expert said when asked about chi in the martial arts, "Mind moves the chi, the chi moves the muscle." You see? Its actually very practical.

But if you want something that deals extensively with chi,
try xing i, bagua, tai chi, aikido, yi quan, Iron shirt, or many various kinds of shaolin.

You should check out the instructor first. Even a karate instructor may be quite knowledgeable on the subject if you find the right one.

And you will probably find that a few tai chi and aikido and any other kind of instructor from the list may not even know what chi is. so judge the teacher yourself. Make sure they know what they are talking about. Try and get a free lesson out of them and tell them what you're interested in. They may be able to help you find the right guy.
You've only spent a second of your life.
My world is unaffected, there is an exit here,
I say it is and then its true.
There is a dream inside a dream,
I'm wide awake the more I sleep,
You'll understand when I'm dead.

June 14, 2004, 04:52:12 PM
Reply #2

Enlightenment

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/3nl1ght3nm3nt/index.htm
Xing yi, and Liu He Ba Fa (two of my personal favorites)
En: Get into a class.
Preferably a Hatha Yoga class.
Avoid Yogas
Power Yoga, Fitness yoga, Wellness Yoga, Energy Yoga.....
What about NINJA SEX YOGA!!! Is that alright?
Tsu: No :P
ROFL

June 14, 2004, 05:54:11 PM
Reply #3

HADOUKEN

• Posts By Osmosis

• I ga pisha!

• View Profile
If you want to work with your spirit, then try Aikido or Iaido.  Iaido may not teach you how to kick someone's face in (rather, cut it off) but it does train your spirit.
Develop mind and body to enhance the spirit.