Author Topic: any peculiar training tactics out there?  (Read 5504 times)

May 30, 2004, 03:52:03 PM
Read 5504 times

Enlightenment

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/3nl1ght3nm3nt/index.htm
anyone have anything out of the norm, so to speak for sparring, and/or physical training?

wondering for my summer training
En: Get into a class.
Preferably a Hatha Yoga class.
Avoid Yogas
Power Yoga, Fitness yoga, Wellness Yoga, Energy Yoga.....
What about NINJA SEX YOGA!!! Is that alright?
Tsu: No :P
ROFL

June 01, 2004, 02:12:46 AM
Reply #1

_jujitsu_

• Veritas Furniture

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Generally the normal methods are the best, but you can always improve on them by making them more enjoyable or into a game type thing.

Heres an example for roundhouse kicks:

with a partner grab your opponents hand across from yours (ie. either right-right or left-left doesn't matter as you switch over after time) with a good grip.  During your normal practice of roundhouse kicks you try to pull your oppenent off balance to stop him kicking you aswell as using a combination of blocking with your legs and trying to move out the way in the limited space.  This helps build balance and more accuracy with kicks, because in real life your opponent aint gonna be standing still so you can get a clean kick in always.  The hand also prevents you getting to far apart so you have to deal with the attack or get hit.

An alternative to this is grab each other around the shoulders, and do the same type of thing, so cant move your hands but can push or pull.  Doing it this way lets you do kicks to the floating ribs and higher, aswell as knees.  You can set goals with this one, so the first one to get the oppontent on the ground and in a lock or hold wins that round.  Good work for ground grappling too, obviously once on the ground you can move your hands.
One night I was a butterfly, fluttering happily around.
Then i awoke, and found that I was a man.
But what am I in truth?
A man who dreams he is a butterfly,[/colo

June 01, 2004, 11:29:37 AM
Reply #2

qi_master

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
One of the things that my trainer has me doing for fighting in the Kickboxing ring, as well for on the streets is a simple little distraction with the jab. Being it left or right foot forward.

1)If your fighting with your left leg forward throw a left hand jab towards your opponents left side of his head. (This works most of the time if done with the right intent/emotion of looking like your really trying to hit them).

Following the distraction do a front leg round kick, (with ball of foot if you can) to the persons lower right side near the ribs. Do this at least three times. By the fourth time go to the head. (They will be blocking low.)

2) Same goes for right foot forward, etc.

Now for physical training:
1)What do you want to achieve through your physical training? (Toned muscles, strenghth, bulk, health,etc, What?)
And for the note: If anyone says that physical training will give you all that, it is crap. All exercises have a specific purpose.

2) A good way for good conditioning (my opinion) quickly. Jump rope, running, push ups, and crunches.

Have fun,
Qi_master

June 01, 2004, 12:59:36 PM
Reply #3

Enlightenment

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
well, I spend about an hour and a half on lifting..

I do about 200 bicep curls with 50lb hand weights, as well as 10lb wrist weights on my hands, and 25lb ankle weights, and a 35lb or so weighted jacket

as well as I start out at my body weight for benching to work on my upper chest, (my body weight being 170lbs) and I start out with only 3 sets of 25 reps, then work onto 200 with the same amount, then I get about all the way up to 280lbs but then I can only get about 8 reps in, it feels like I reached my max on benching..I've been stuck at 280 for a few months now, usually I can slowly add on weight even if the total is too much at the moment, but not now.

then..I do some abdominal physical training, consisting of running in place, jumping as high as I can into the air, running with knees tucking into the abs, and something I like to call the "leg-throwing game"..

I'll explain,

first off you lay down

secondly, you have someone (if you have a training partner) stand above you, and you use your abs to throw your legs up, legs must be together, knees straight

then you hold onto their ankles, and they throw your legs down, you use your abs to stabilitize yourself, then throw the legs back up, then they throw them to the right or the left.

this repeats for as long as you can last (I can usually play this 'game' for 15 minutes straight.)

My leg exercises are just basic kicking and formation/stances, etc.

this is what I do every day in sections for anywhere from a hour and a half to two hours.

although I hope to get more training in this summer, I want to push myself farther than I've ever gone before.

any suggestions, people?

(by peculiar, I meant training that isnt..'conventional', or basically something you may have came up with on your own to suit yourself better.)

EDIT: a good example of 'unconventional' is something like my "leg-throwing game"
Avoid Yogas
ROFL

June 01, 2004, 03:13:38 PM
Reply #4

quitewarrior

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
well i would also like some tips on losing fat and speed if you guys don't mind.
You can either agree with me or you could be wrong.

What would you rather be,honorable and dead,or dishonorable and alive."

June 02, 2004, 11:57:44 AM
Reply #5

Yaksha

• A Familiar Feature

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
chi sau, chi gerk, issuing energy, push hands. They're all variations of the same exercise, but I don't think theres anything better for training except being in an actual life or death situation.
You've only spent a second of your life.
My world is unaffected, there is an exit here,
I say it is and then its true.
There is a dream inside a dream,
I'm wide awake the more I sleep,
You'll understand when I'm dead.

June 02, 2004, 08:25:20 PM
Reply #6

Jeckel

• Veritas Furniture

• Hundred-plus Club

• Personal Text
    nothing more to say
    • View Profile
Ok so it seems you have hit a wall with your training, cant seem to get onto that next higher level huh?

well normally i would say take a break for a few days to let your body completely adapt and heal, and although this may be helpful to what you need, you might need something more.

i suggest you do more reps with lower weight, this will help define your muscles better and work more on the endurance aspect of your muscles. do this for about a month, i'd say half your weight, and increase your amount of reps by hmmm....75% that way your not doing half the weight with just double the reps, but half the weight with about 3 times the reps.

then after a month, or possibly even just a week of that, try your heavy weight again and see if there was any improvement.

also you may want to try the conventional stuff like pushups, and do alot more stretching and exercies that cause you to stretch muscles with the exercise.
Just a wishful thinker with the worst intentions.

The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had. - Mad World

June 03, 2004, 07:59:35 PM
Reply #7

Samurai Warrior

• A Veritas Regular

• Frequent poster

• Personal Text
    Frequent poster
    • View Profile
I have a tactic for fighting. I pretty much always think about fighting. I dwell on it. You might say I'm paranoid. I would say that I am preparing myself to defend... myself. Anyways, when I spar, or box with my friends, which is almost never, I'm better than them.
In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed.

June 06, 2004, 11:18:38 AM
Reply #8

Enlightenment

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
Jeckel: thanks, I'll make sure to try that July of this summer, because this month I am working on a block training schedule at the local rec centre...

Monday- work on arms for the 2 hour allotted time in lifting
Tuesday- Work on chest and shoulders, same 2 hrs.
Wednesday- Work on abdominal muscles and lower back, same 2 hrs.
Thursday- Work on upper leg muscles, same 2 hrs.
Firday- Work on lower leg muscles, same 2 hrs.
Saturday- Work on anything I think needs improvement for the same 2 hrs.

*points to the post he made in another thread about the revised summer training schedule*

but I will adapt that principle as soon as I try this block schedule for the month, my body is used to short bursts of hard work out time in every muscle group a day, so I am going to see the results of this.

and Samurai: that is really good for you..but WHAT exactly is your 'tactic' that you never really added, just went off about the benefits of?  :confused:

Be Well
Avoid Yogas
ROFL

June 10, 2004, 08:41:53 AM
Reply #9

Mysticus

• Settling In

• Greenhorn

• Personal Text
    Greenhorn
    • View Profile
I do 40 minutes of Zhan Zhuang a day, and roughly 2 hours of training with 1.1 kilo weights on my arms and legs, followed by some sit-ups, push-ups and stretching exercises; and finally a half-an-hour of meditation a day.

Every week at my Judo dojo, I do some fairly unorthodox training - exactly the same leg exercises Enlightenment described earlier, carrying grown men on my back, and sparring with a handful of blackbelts; one of whom being the No. 2 in the UK - and I'm just a 14 year old girl!

By the way, does anyone know if it is beneficial to train with wrist/leg weights whilst practising Zhan Zhuang? (Embracing the Tree, and San Ti postures) Or is it too straining?
"To the doubter, no proof is possible; but to the true believer, no proof is necessary."

"Mutual Welfare and Benefit." Jigoro Kano-sensei

"It's a girl." Midwife at my birth

June 10, 2004, 02:02:43 PM
Reply #10

cyropsion_26

• Veritas Furniture

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Probably not, unless if you can remain completely relaxed and keep a steady chi flow while wearing them.  But that wou call for a crazy high chi flow level.

Does any one know how to reverse a turtle shell belly (a six pack that sticks out a little)?  All ive been doing for the past 14 months are unweighted abdomial excersizes, along with upper and lower body training.  Is there anything besides leg lifts and situps that i could do?

June 10, 2004, 04:35:31 PM
Reply #11

Enlightenment

• Veritas Furniture

• Has a lot of posts

• Personal Text
    Has a lot of posts
    • View Profile
try a jacknife machine, if your local health club offers it, that always helped me, as well as machines that work on your obliques, and frontal abs; that will get rid of the turtle in ya :p.

also, try doing my leg-throwing game with ankle weights, it helps ALOT for the abs.

Be Well.
Avoid Yogas
ROFL

June 18, 2004, 10:33:09 PM
Reply #12

Sir William Perkins

• Settling In

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I hope You don't mind me bringing back the theme of peculiar training methods. I don't know how peculiar this is but here it goes for body conditioning I have been using dynamic tensioned hand techniques and slowly executed kicks while sometimes while the kick is extended bending the knee till I'm near the floor without allowing the kicking foot to touch the floor and returning to my upright position kick still extended. I also practise some strikes on a three socks inside of eachother filled with gravel attached to a thin nylon rope and hung to a tree in a way that I can adjust the height level actually I prefer it to the wave master I also have that falls over to easy.Sometimes I Perform my TKD forms in a slower flowing motion using tai chi concepts.Another thing I,ve been trying is to execute my roundhouses as if they were a front kick in the beggining by bringing my knee straight up and in then pivoting quickly before the actual kick extention to generate torque into the kick. Does any of this sound strange to you?

June 19, 2004, 03:02:38 AM
Reply #13

killthedream

• Veritas Furniture

• he-who-posts-lots

• Personal Text
    he-who-posts-lots
    • View Profile
about the puff 6 pack, just suck in your stomach then tighten, do "bicycle situps" thats what i call it anyways, where you move your legs like your bicycling, 1 knee to your chest while the other is extended and back and forth, while you do your situps and but you turn and use your elbows to hit the knee when it comes out, left elbow to right knee, vice versa. but yeah sucking in your stomach and holding it as you do that helps keep thin 6 packs. well in my experience.
I rule, okay?

Disregard anything I say, there is a 100 percent chance I am talking out of my ass.

Do not expect good grammar.

June 19, 2004, 03:53:10 AM
Reply #14

_jujitsu_

• Veritas Furniture

• Veritas Furniture

• Personal Text
    Veritas Furniture
    • View Profile
Quote from: killthedream
about the puff 6 pack, just suck in your stomach then tighten, do "bicycle situps" thats what i call it anyways, where you move your legs like your bicycling, 1 knee to your chest while the other is extended and back and forth, while you do your situps and but you turn and use your elbows to hit the knee when it comes out, left elbow to right knee, vice versa. but yeah sucking in your stomach and holding it as you do that helps keep thin 6 packs. well in my experience.

Question: Would sucking your stomach in and tightening your muscles not be more detrimental than benificial to your health in that most breathing methods require you breath with your stomach rather than your chest and to be relaxed, as this goes against it.  Obviously you wont be needing to use breathing methods like this whilst your training, but by doing this it could make it harder for you to naturally breath correctly by setting the idea of "tense and suck in" into your head.

I'll admit im one of the people with turtle six pack but i'd rather have correct breathing than an amazing trim body -_-'

For the original topic - try to learn how to walk on your hands, it really improves your upper body strength and balance, plus it looks cool :D
One night I was a butterfly, fluttering happily around.
Then i awoke, and found that I was a man.
But what am I in truth?
A man who dreams he is a butterfly,[/colo