Author Topic: Initiation into Hermetics - differences in translations  (Read 820 times)

November 01, 2016, 11:21:32 AM
Read 820 times

helikos

• A Veritas Regular

• Personal Text
    beginning practice
    • View Profile
I recently bought a physical copy of Initiation into Hermetics from Merkur and was surprised to find it was a completely new translation compared to the pdf commonly found online. The book is a second english translation which was first printed in 2001, as opposed to the first english translation which was in 1962 (which I assume is the one in the pdf). The prose is more clinical and even awkward in some places compared to the first translation.

e.g.
1st Translation: "Let us now turn to the practical side of the initiation."
2nd Translation: "This is the part of the book in which we begin with the practice of initiation."

1st Translation: "Time is running away like water, never to return."
2nd Translation: "Time flows like water and never returns."

Does anyone know what warranted the second translation? Is the second translation more accurate or faithful to the original German?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:55:01 AM by helikos »
Per Ardua Ad Astra
"Through travail to the stars"

"One must find out for oneself, and make sure beyond doubt, 'who' one is, 'what' one is, 'why' one is."
- Aleister Crowley, Magick in Theory and Practice

November 08, 2016, 08:44:39 PM
Reply #1

Kemetin

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
I prefer the second translation, personally. I find it a bit more warm and precise, but I don't think the difference is such that it would cause problems for anyone.

No idea why they chose to redo the translation.