Author Topic: Random thoughts/notes  (Read 652 times)

March 22, 2016, 11:24:42 PM
Read 652 times

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
I tend to write out a number of things on random topics in notepad in order to help get some thoughts in order, and then just delete them. So I thought why not try putting them down somewhere for others to read (or ignore), in case it helps someone else figure something out (or maybe to help me figure something out in the future, as I come back to the topic). Not everything below is going to make sense, and nor was it written in the order that it appears. Go ahead and comment on stuff and discuss it if you want.

Today I've been thinking about the processes of training, as part of my job requires me to train other people and I know I need to improve myself at this.

The process of Processes, for implementing standardised processes (requires training for individuals to perform)
1. Figure out goal: Try to figure out if there is a simple basic process that covers all manners of processes. Not for training, but for implementation
1a. contemplate and refine goal until it is what you want, rather than what you think you want
2. Figure out where you currently are
3. Figure out how to get from where you are, to goal: aka, the Plan
3a. Be realistic. You can't fly to the moon just by wishing it so, nor can you utilize technology that doesn't exist
4. Start working towards the goal (aka, start implementing the Plan)
4a. As obstacles and unknowns emerge, modify Plan by going back to step 3
4b. Be aware that goal itself might change under certain circumstances; if so, perform step 6 and then restart at step 1
5a. Goal achieved
5b. Obstacles become insurmountable; Goal not achieved
5b1. Figure out whether goal is still desirable and achievable, and what went wrong
5b2. If goal is still desirable and achievable, take a break/vacation then go back to step 1a, implementing analysis from 5b1 and putting more effort into step 3
5b3. If setting new goal, go back to step 1
6. Analyze series of events to determine how to better one's self, others, the processes involved
6a. Implement results of analysis and better yourself at least

-Not all processes have a clear idea of where each individual is in step 2
--modify step 2 when training en masse, by making assumption of most base level of knowledge required past general knowledge
--list out all pre-requisite general knowledge things needed; ie, to work a POS till, a person must be able to read

Process of fulfilling needs
Initiate conversation.
Determine other person's needs.
Analyze whether their needs can be met via limitations of current policies and procedures
-if not, analyze whether current policies and procedures can be permanently modified or temporarily modified
-negotiate with other person, if some needs can be met within limitations
-if cannot fulfill their needs, analyze to determine what it would take for them to fulfill their needs; ie outside assistance from others.
Begin fulfilling their needs.

Personalized In-Depth Training - this is all very unnatural to the human psyche of "monkey see, monkey do"
Determine goal of training. What will student be learning.
Communicate to student what the goal is.
Communicate to student why goal is important to know/learn/do.
Converse: Determine list of student's current abilities and limitations pertaining to goal.
Determine roadmap to improving student so that student can achieve goal.
-list of required abilities to reach goal, list of student's current abilities, list of abilities student must learn
Communicate to student where student currently is: required abilities to reach goal, what student already knows, what they must learn.
Communicate to student roadmap to improving.
Walkthrough: Show student how to achieve goal, focus on things student must learn.
Have student visualize the walkthrough, especially noting the things they did not learn.
Converse: Determine what student learned versus what they are still lacking.
Communicate to student what they have learned versus what they are still lacking.
Redo the walkthrough.
Communicate to student what they have learned versus what they are still lacking.
Have student lead a walkthrough. Student must explain what they are doing as they do it.
Have the student visualize the walkthrough.
Communicate: Reiterate to student the list of required abilities to reach goal.
Allow student to do their own walkthrough without supervision.
Allow student time for introspection and self-improvement.
Converse: Ask student what method would be best used to help student learn that which they are still lacking.

Monkey see, monkey do training
Show student what you want them to do
Have them do it while you watch
Refine
Give suggestions and feedback
Ask if they have questions
Have them do it again
Let them do it a few times without supervision
Have them do it again while you watch
Refine
Give suggestions and feedback
Ask if they have questions
Repeat as necessary

En Masse teaching
Determine subject to teach
Determine basic pre-requisites for students to know (or be capable of) before they can learn the subject
Determine format for broadcasting the teachings
Provide assignments, for student to learn by practice
Determine format for students providing feedback, if allowed
Determine format for evaluation of student learning, if bothering
Determine format for providing feedback to students, if performed an evaluation
Provide follow up teaching with more personalization for those who were unable to learn from the en masse teaching

Onus
  Student
Learn
Determine own shortcomings and work towards bypassing/reducing/translating them
-Translate weak teaching/learning method to a strong one
--if teacher is teaching a method that the student is weak at, the student must learn how to translate it to a method that the student is strong at
Constantly better themself at life
Remove any sense of entitlement in yourself (ie, "the teacher *has* to teach me")
  Teacher
Teach
Ask student what they have learned and what they are struggling with
Provide methods of teaching that the student can learn
Constantly better themself at life
Constantly better themself at teaching
Analyze whether student cares. If not, ask student why they don't care
If student refuses to care, put less effort into teaching them and find a better student instead
  Both
Be honest with yourself
Be mature
Do not assume the other person is solely responsible: you are working together, as a team

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?