Author Topic: Occult / Psionic Fiction  (Read 903 times)

March 01, 2016, 10:22:19 AM
Read 903 times

sulphurcrest

• Settling In

• View Profile
Hey y'all,

As I mentioned previously in another post I'm a bit bored of occult books full of peoples subjective personal opinions on how god x corresponds means this and that. I have read some quite good papers by members here on Veritas which really tried to stay as objective as possible. All I can say about that is that it's a pleasure to be here.

I was wondering however if anybody had any favored fiction they could share that inspired them, I'm a big fan of Lovecraft for example, if you can tell me any authors and preferably there books that have inspired your personal journey in Psionic / Occult / Magickal discovery then I'd love to hear about it.

March 01, 2016, 01:25:48 PM
Reply #1

Rayn

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    <insert something cynical and sarcastic>
    • View Profile
    • Noein
I was wondering however if anybody had any favored fiction they could share that inspired them, I'm a big fan of Lovecraft for example, if you can tell me any authors and preferably there books that have inspired your personal journey in Psionic / Occult / Magickal discovery then I'd love to hear about it.

I have been constructing a matrix for a while now. I was inspired by the Darkover series. To say it short and sweet, a matrix in the Darkover series is:

In The Heritage of Hastur, Lew Alton describes matrices in the following way (page 30):

a jewel stone that amplifies the resonances of the brain and transmutes psi power into energy.

The theoretical explanation of this phenomenon is based on the concept of resonance, found in classical physics. If one excites an object at a frequency which is close to its characteristic frequencies (its resonance frequencies), the excitation is auto-amplified, rapidly attaining an enormous amplitude which usually causes the destruction of the object. For example, it is possible to destroy a bridge by having a regiment of foot-soldiers march beneath it, provided the rhythm of their steps is correctly chosen.

The brain emits psychic waves called energons, which have a different characteristic frequency in each person. Once a matrix is attuned, or keyed, to a telepath, it has a frequency similar to that of the brain; the flow of energons is then amplified by passing though the matrix (op. cit., p. 239). The telepath controls this flow as it exits the stone, following amplication. The trick is that energy is created out from nothing: indeed the telepath can bring about phenomena which require an enormous energy.

That concept, and a few other things from the Darkover series, kind of inspired my practices. I actually have created a legitimate thing similar to that. To explain it very concisely without mathematical jargon, the idea I came up with is that it reflects back yourself in such a way that a resonance is created and maintained where that, in turn, creates an amplification effect. Via synthesizing a liquid crystal and giving it a psychokinetic component, I was able to create a crystal that changes colors when it is in use via psi, too; however, that is kind of impractical and flashy(it worked though), so while it is nice, I kind of shifted my focus away from that. I am actually working on creating a physical engine that is powered by psi. On Darkover, they have psi powered things. Pretty much, the idea is to create a consistent construct that consistently emanates heat which causes pressure changes that results in some work being done. Due to the fact that psychokinesis and psi orders states without producing entropy, you can pretty much get something that is a source of perpetual work. The problem, of course, is how inconsistent psi can be. I'm working on that. 
Noein - A Resource on Psi, Science, and Philosophy
but sorcery refuses to be a metaphor for mere literature--it insists that symbols must cause events as well as private epiphanies. It is not a critique but a re-making. It rejects all eschatology & metaphysics of removal, all bleary nostalgia & strident futurismo, in favor of a paroxysm or seizure of presence.