Author Topic: the nature of payment  (Read 1465 times)

February 10, 2016, 01:09:22 PM
Read 1465 times

belun

• View Profile
how do you pay, preferably in advance, or choose what to pay(if that is even possible, but i would suspect it is)/know what you are going to pay for a magic ritual/for a cast to happen/for what you asked for to happen?

something has to happen, in the real work, for your magick to happen. how can you tell the price?

and if you can point me to some literature that mentions this, that would be awesome.

February 10, 2016, 02:14:21 PM
Reply #1

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
You either decide beforehand, usually through copious amounts of research into the being that you're paying something to, or you get a psychic vision of what the price shall be and you decide whether you want to pay it or not (either right then and there, or later, depending on the specific event).

If you're working from a paradigm where you don't get a choice when the price is sprung on you, you might want to consider another paradigm.

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

February 10, 2016, 06:56:00 PM
Reply #2

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
belun: Were you asking about the price of having someone do a ritual for you, or were you asking the stereotypical "cost" of certain magical rituals?

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

February 10, 2016, 10:46:12 PM
Reply #3

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
You can make the deal with the spirit beforehand but never pay in advance, the then tend not to finish the task (devoted worshipper could tell stories)

February 13, 2016, 05:20:26 AM
Reply #4

belun

• View Profile
belun: Were you asking about the price of having someone do a ritual for you, or were you asking the stereotypical "cost" of certain magical rituals?

~Steve

the second one. as the universe works in mysterious ways, i would like not to get hurt as part of my payment toward getting something through means of magick

February 14, 2016, 01:13:04 AM
Reply #5

Calvin

• Veritas Moderator
  • Veritas Furniture

• Im in your statues

• Personal Text
    ...watchin your peoples
    • View Profile
While magic can certainly have karmic repercussions or unintended side effects, I think your conception of its mechanics may be a bit skewed.  A magical undertaking does not necessarily require any sort of payment... at least not in the manner you currently think.  As Rayn described generally the "payment" is the effort and energy put into the operation, in conjunction with whatever materials or items were used in the operation.  No payment of any sort is required to manifest your goal, though that is not to say that unforseen or poorly anticipated effects wont  result.

The outcome and success of your magic hinges on your approach, means, and the overall precision of the whatever process you are attempting.  A clear and precise understanding of what your doing,  why your doing it,  a keen attention to and intimate knowledge of even the finest details of the ritual (not to imply ritual or ceremonial magic, I'm using the term loosely) will ultimately determine how smooth and to what degree your intent is manifest. If done correctly there does not need to be any sort of collateral damage or consequences

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:19:36 AM by Calvin »
Vitamyst

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

"Like, how do you summon 1.4 significant members? Simple, 1 significant member, followed by a certain number of random occurences of Arck."
-Vivi, on the summoning of past members