Author Topic: Qi Gong for Mental Health  (Read 2291 times)

August 04, 2015, 10:46:07 AM
Read 2291 times

Li-Ten-Ra

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
So I was reading the article on Qi Gong practices, and I wanted to reach out to the author, but he hasn't been active for over a year. So I pose this question to any willing to answer.

My girlfriend has an older sister who has bi-polar manic depressive. She feels as though her medications are making things difficult for her in her day-to-day life, and believes that some spiritual practice may help to reduce the medications she needs to take, as well as improving her general health. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with bi-polar or similar mental states and how qi gong has helped them out? If you have yourself, or know someone personally, please share. I would love to bring her any positive stories to help sway her into practicing Qi Gong. I know it has done a lot for me, but my only mental "dis"ability is ADD.

August 04, 2015, 11:44:22 PM
Reply #1

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
Qigong is not safe for mentally or emotionally unstable people unless they are under the care of a licensed Traditional Chinese Medical Doctor because the qigong will be balanced with diet, mundane practices, herbs, and other specifics the doctor sees fit depending on the needs of the patient.

From experience, qigong is a great stress reliever on the physical, emotional, and mental level, and helps me with feeling vital and productive, but I have had many years of training under instructors and when I had emotional problems I saw a therapist pro bono and had long emotional talks with my closest friends which helped me heal.

With all of that said, qigong for general health is an excellent idea! But for mental health, she should steer clear unless she is under the supervision of a qualified DMQ (Doctor of Medical Qigong) and trusted and loved therapist (I personally don't agree with a lot of the therapy I was raised up with, maybe it's improved, but it helps certain people and maybe your cousin is one of them it can help). I would also say diet is a great step in the right direction. A licensed and compassionate Naturopath and/or Nutritionist would be good for this.
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

October 04, 2015, 02:49:56 PM
Reply #2

Neeros

• A Familiar Feature

• Personal Text
    Shaolin Mage
    • View Profile
    • Shaolin Wahnam
A genuine master should be able to guide a student with mental and emotional health issues to recovery. My school has had many successes in this realm of self healing.

Any ailment be it physical, mental, or spiritual is a result of energy blockage manifested through yin and yang imbalance. Genuine Qi Gong, that is to say Qi Gong that goes beyond gentle physical exercise and coordinated breathing, can restore this balance resulting in good health, vitality, mental freshness, and spiritual development.
The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him.
- Sun Tzu

[18:22] <Rayn> That makes it worst. If the people can't practically apply and create effects, it is not so good.
[18:22] <metalforever_> okay, and who in the oec can do that? i would say very very few
[18:22] <metalforever_> their too busy fondling their psiballs

October 07, 2015, 11:46:00 AM
Reply #3

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
Well, since the issue was brought up again, I'd like to throw in my two cents.

I never had a proper teacher, but I never had mental or physical problems, and yet self-learning qi gong was still a roller coaster ride at some points. It can bring about very good benefits to the practitioner, but if the person is already having issues then there is the possibility that qi gong can make them worse at some points before making them better.

So as the previous two said, see if you can find an experienced instructor for your girlfriend's sister.

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?