Author Topic: A questions on Evoking vs. Invoking  (Read 1440 times)

July 26, 2015, 05:32:04 PM
Read 1440 times

Li-Ten-Ra

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
So, I know the general idea behind the difference between the two, but I have a slightly more specific question. If one was looking to use the energy of a particular deity to achieve a desired effect (ie, using an angel's power to cleanse and bless and area), should one Evoke or Invoke that entity, and why?

July 26, 2015, 06:52:04 PM
Reply #1

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
It depends. On your particular talents, on how trained you are, on your relationship with the entity involved, on exactly what it is you are trying to achieve.

Generally, since you're experienced with Reiki, you can think of Invocation as kinda like doing Reiki. You are calling in the consciousness and energy of another being, and you are making yourself a medium, a vessel, for that beings power and authority. The wisdom and energy is passing through you, directed by you're personal volition and intelligence, even as you unify that volition and intelligence with a being much stronger than you (like a deity). With evocation, it's more like asking a friend for help. You call them forth with your own power, but once they are there, they are separate from you - they will act externally from you, with their own intelligence and volition, and do the task you ask of them in their own way (within the boundaries of your specifications).

For example, if I'm doing a Rune Casting, then Invoking Odin will allow me to better See the patterns of Wyrd in the Runes that pop up. His energy and consciousness seeps into mine, the Staves are cast by his authority, and his adept understanding of what is there seeps into my own consciousness and helps me, in turn, understand what is there. If I want to summon a storm, I might invoke Thor, and his authority and power merged with mine will call forth thunder and rain. If I want military and "martial" wisdom, Tyr can offer it. Invocation allows the practitioner to channel wisdom, intuitive knowledge, spiritual authority, and raw metaphysical power. You are a conduit, just like you are a conduit in the use of Reiki.

Evocation is, among other things, more useful if you need a force that is working separately from, but still with you. For example, if you're Journeying in the Otherworld, and you want to go to a specific place but you aren't quite sure of how to get there or you aren't sure quite how to get there safely or you aren't sure you're in the right place, you can call on a Gatekeeper. There are many Gatekeepers in different traditions, but they all have the same job: gatekeeping. They know all the worlds and realms, and watch the roads between them. Personally, I would call on Heimdall in this situation, and ask him to lead me to where I wish to go or verify the place that I'm already at. Or similar things. Gatekeepers can also help you get back, if you're lost. They are good friends to have. You can also evoke someone to assist you in a task or project. Going back to my Journeying line for a moment, I would also call on my familiars or "guardians" while travelling. They can help guide me, help protect me, and several other things. So, yeah.

It depends. :cow:

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

July 27, 2015, 12:06:12 AM
Reply #2

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation

July 27, 2015, 07:17:25 AM
Reply #3

Li-Ten-Ra

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
Thanks for the quick response. It helps to have a more detailed description of the two. What steps should one take to begin learning about the two? Any good suggestions on books/websites?

July 27, 2015, 02:41:18 PM
Reply #4

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
The first thing you need to figure out is which method you want to learn. Ceremonial is the most common here, so for that:

Initiation Into Hermetics, by Franz Bardon. This is Bardon's prerequisite work for Evocation, and Invocation is discussed in the later steps.
Practical Magical Evocation, by Franz Bardon. Just reading the Theory section will help you understand a lot of basics.
Book Four, by Aleister Crowley. Part II and III especially.

If you want to avoid the Ceremonial sort of thing, then you might want to look in the direction of things like Chaos Magick. Akenu could help you better there, as I don't know any Chaote resources for invocation and evocation off the top of my head. There's also the Shamanistic and Traditional Witchcraft routes, though I also don't know any books for that, since I kind learned things directly. Witches have very eclectic ways of evoking, though. "Oh, yes. Run along." :P My witchy friends got a kick out of that, because that's how a lot of traditional witches actually are.

Really, it's all mostly just a matter of cosmology and personal preference. Some people just really, really like putting together a big ritual, and getting big results, even if they have the talent and a good enough personal relationship with the spirits that they can just call them up by going "come here, <name>." Exactly what steps you need to take to learn this stuff depends on which sort of thing you want to do. Pick the destination, then you can follow a map to it. :)

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

July 27, 2015, 02:44:13 PM
Reply #5

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
Well, this book also contains some information regarding invocations and evocations: https://www.scribd.com/doc/171161878/Magickal-Curriculum

July 28, 2015, 10:56:47 PM
Reply #6

TheAghora

• A Veritas Regular

• View Profile
I would be very careful as to what you call upon, as I'm sure many people here will tell you. If you haven't done this before, I would recommend reading up on Crowleys material, where he speaks about assumption of Godforms. You can do much the same thing with assuming the Godform alone, and it is a much easier task to accomplish. Though, if you did want to attempt to call something into you, I've had good results with it, through two different methods. One being more traditional to native practices, where you use an animal skin that you ritualistically make for wearing (as in, it's not just a skin), with crushed bone, and some other things. I can post the way to do it here, though this is more for animal spirits; though depending on the entity you are calling upon, many do have animals that represent them, something to think about.

The other method I used was much more ceremonial then this, and I can also explain this in more depth. Though I would say ether method, or anything you come up with will take a fair amount of prep time. I would also be careful of anything you call upon. A lot of people come here to this forum thinking that Angels are all good, Demons are all bad; so they go right to working with the Angelic, and even calling upon them. If you read the old words of what Angels are, they aren't what most people today think they are. They are Warriors, and they do have an agenda, as most entities do. Anyway, my two cents.

July 29, 2015, 12:34:00 PM
Reply #7

Li-Ten-Ra

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile
Agreed. I've dealt with angels and demons before, many times in fact. They all have their own agendas, and very rarely do theirs line up with ours.

I'm not looking to invoke anything, yet. Doing a little research to see if it is something I would like to get into.