Author Topic: Stretching and Yoga  (Read 1860 times)

June 12, 2015, 07:34:48 PM
Read 1860 times

Henry

• Settling In

• View Profile
I've attempted to practice veos' yoga in his "The Practice of Yoga" but I can't even do half of them because I'm not flexible enough. What are some stretching routines that some of you recommend for these? Also, when is the best time to stretch, in the morning or in the evening?

June 12, 2015, 07:53:42 PM
Reply #1

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
I prefer morning stretches. The Sun Salutation is a simple and classic Yoga 'form' found easily online or in most books. From a kung fu/qi gong perspective, the Eight Brocades/Pulling Reeling Silk exercises are of great benefit, but they lack the ground exercises found in the Sun Salutation. The Pigeon Flow is also one of my favorites. Some schools may call it the Swan Flow... I learned it in my Karate class when I first started training as a cool down and dynamic stretch after a good bout of calisthenics, forms, partner sets, and sparring.
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

June 15, 2015, 07:01:10 PM
Reply #2

Steve

• Posts By Osmosis

• View Profile
In addition to a specific time you set aside for stretching, you might find it useful to do small amounts of stretching throughout each day. Like if you're sitting at a desk, take a few minutes to pull your toes towards you while you work. If you're sitting waiting for the bus, put a leg up on the other and start pulling the foot closer and closer to your main body. While standing in an elevator that's nearly empty, plant your feet firmly and use whatever your fingers can find good purchase on in order to do torso twists. In the shower, do whatever you can with the space you have (especially if you're taking a hot shower as the heat will help greatly). Etc.

You won't have the warm up and warm down of a full practice session, but it will help keep your muscles and whatnot loose throughout the day until you get to your next practice. Also, if you don't know already, remember to relax during the stretching; doing stretches while tense does help a little but nowhere near as much while relaxed.

~Steve
Mastery does not occur when you've performed a feat once or twice. Instead, it comes after years of training, when you realize that you no longer notice when you're performing a feat which used to require so much effort. Even walking takes years of training for a human: why not everything else?

June 19, 2015, 05:03:21 PM
Reply #3

Henry

• Settling In

• View Profile
Thanks guys! Another question. In his article veos says to do yoga in the order of asana, pranayama, and pratyahara. Should i wait until i can sit in a specific asana before i start pranayama, or can i just sit cross legged and start right now?