Author Topic: Fictional Grimoires  (Read 5099 times)

December 12, 2014, 05:46:10 AM
Read 5099 times

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
This was brought up in a previous thread that mentions the dreaded NECRONOMICON!!! This being a not so real grimoire with a quite real cult following, I am curious as to what fictional grimoires you would use if they were real, or you could make real such as the dreaded NECRONOMICON!!!

I'll start- I think the magical mythos of the Vampire Diaries is very dynamic and touches upon a lot of interesting and obscure magical practices. Bonnie Bennet's family grimoire would be cool with an addition of Esther Michaelson's grimoire (the mother of the Originals). As high school drama as the show can be, the story line is enticing and the magical idealism and myth of the vampire are presented very well.

What magical heresy would YOU choose?
"Spirit is in a state of grace forever.
Your reality is only spirit.
Therefore you are in a state of grace forever."

"As relfections of the Source, we are little gods."

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

"Everybody laughs the same language."

December 13, 2014, 03:38:48 PM
Reply #1

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
This was brought up in a previous thread that mentions the dreaded NECRONOMICON!!! This being a not so real grimoire with a quite real cult following, I am curious as to what fictional grimoires you would use if they were real, or you could make real such as the dreaded NECRONOMICON!!!

I'll start- I think the magical mythos of the Vampire Diaries is very dynamic and touches upon a lot of interesting and obscure magical practices. Bonnie Bennet's family grimoire would be cool with an addition of Esther Michaelson's grimoire (the mother of the Originals). As high school drama as the show can be, the story line is enticing and the magical idealism and myth of the vampire are presented very well.

What magical heresy would YOU choose?

Only thing that people complain about in case of Necronomicon is the name, Necronomicon, if it had any other name, the whole hype of "necronomicon is fake" would immediately disappear. No one complains about Goetia, even when Clavicula Solomonis Regis was written in 17th century and therefore couldn't be written by King Shlomo and those 72 names from Goetia comes from Pseudomonarchia daemonicum (16th century).

December 14, 2014, 02:10:56 AM
Reply #2

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
@Akenu. I get it. If the 'Simon Necronomicon' was called ' Sumerian Spirit Summoning' or something non-Lovecraftian, than there would be very little, if any, arguments on historical accuracy, but it IS called the NECRONOMICON!!! That being said, just about any pre-Christian/Abrahamic faith or magical documentation is based upon fiction - that of the patriarichial and corporate cheuvanists of the rising Judeo-Christian (anti)faith.

So, you're answer to the question is the dreaded NECRONOMICON!!! ?

"...part of me doesn't want to believe that auto-eroticism while crushing on a doodle (sigil) could manifest a check in the mail box, but hey, it did."

December 14, 2014, 05:11:42 AM
Reply #3

Shinichi

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    The Eternal Student
    • View Profile
    • A Wolfe's Notebook
I recently read through the first few books of a relatively new series called The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, where the heroine originally learned to focus her powers by channeling it through the spells in her Dungeons & Dragons manual. The results are sufficiently interesting, I think.

Besides that, I once considered what would happen if I enchanted a Yugioh or Magic The Gathering deck.

~:Shin:~
~:Completed the 2013 Qi Gong Study Group:~

"There is no such thing as Impossible, it's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will can be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise.

December 15, 2014, 11:06:36 AM
Reply #4

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
@Mind_Bender: Well, I would just say that if you think that Simon's Necronomicon is dreaded, you should check Grimoirum Verum. :-D.

December 15, 2014, 02:47:12 PM
Reply #5

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
The Blood Sorcery Bible is dreaded... Grimorium Verum is a bunch of sigils every other 'black magic' tome copies from. The Mgus by Frances Barrett has cooler demons... because they are really nifty ink drawings.

December 15, 2014, 04:54:29 PM
Reply #6

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
I would say fortunately it didn't happen but that would have been interesting. Most of the sigils in Grimorium Verum can be found in Michael W. Ford's books, and although his editing is on the side painful, he is more sinister and his sigils (and jewelery) are interesting and powerful.

I never watched the entire series (like three episodes) but the symbols and alchemical principles behind Fullmetal Alchemist are fascinating.  Occult anime in general has some inspiring grimoire ideas. The Secret Circle, although another high school drama, has a cool grimoire and philosophy behind the magic.

December 15, 2014, 05:22:01 PM
Reply #7

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
I'm extremely skiddish about cursing. Karma and all that. If I felt a need to curse someone I would probably seek them out in person and curse them with my fists. If there was a mob of people who have harmed or caused ill fortune to more than just me, then I may turn to Infernal Inteligence or call upon the strength of my ancestors and all the blood they have spilled to give me courage and protection (protection not only for me personally, but to ensure that my loved ones are not harmed or brought down with ill fortune). Spirit work can be risky business as it is and I am unsure if I am ready to deal with the consequences of calling, for instance, Ceres to smite my enemies. Knowing me, I'd get over it anyway. Grudges are the worst.

December 15, 2014, 09:46:43 PM
Reply #8

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
The Blood Sorcery Bible is dreaded... Grimorium Verum is a bunch of sigils every other 'black magic' tome copies from. The Mgus by Frances Barrett has cooler demons... because they are really nifty ink drawings.

Ok, so you really never even held Grimoirum Verum in your hands. It's not "just a bunch of sigils", there are also quite nasty stuff (most famous being The hand of Mithras).

December 15, 2014, 11:34:17 PM
Reply #9

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
Is that another name for the Hand of Glory?

December 15, 2014, 11:36:47 PM
Reply #10

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
Probably yes, it's the one where you have to steal a mare's pubic hair while she is being impregnated by a stallion.

It's called The hand of Mithras in the Czech version

December 15, 2014, 11:39:09 PM
Reply #11

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
Interesting use of beastality. The one I read about was suppossed to be the left hand of a recently hanged criminal.

December 15, 2014, 11:48:45 PM
Reply #12

Akenu

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    यम या रा आना
    • View Profile
    • Akenu's Initiation
You might want to double check:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.akor.cc%2FMore%2520Books%2FGrimoriumVerum.PDF&rct=j&q=grimorium%20verum%20download%20pdf&ei=SOKPVMfaBM_japD2ggg&usg=AFQjCNECsuPqQImepsqu4hhSXBfaVagqyw&bvm=bv.81828268,d.d2s

Anyway, I am a horse owner and I have actually held a mare during being impregnated. Trying what is described in the grimoire means losing your arm (or even ability to walk)

December 18, 2014, 05:27:30 AM
Reply #13

EllyEve

• A Familiar Feature

• View Profile

I'm writing one that combines kyriarchy with extrapolated Jungian alchemy, and pretty much uses the language of faery lore. Metals seem to be the metaphorical "elements" so far, (iron in faery lore is significant, as is gold in both) although I really want to fit chess pieces somewhere in there. So, I think I'd just get the theory written up and then crowdsource spells to be authored by anyone bored enough to learn the system enough to add actual spells, as in XYZ materials and step one, step two, step three to make a ritual. Or a sigils gallery, or tracklist of mystical tunes in Western notation, or whatever.

December 18, 2014, 11:19:02 AM
Reply #14

Mind_Bender

• Posts By Osmosis

• Personal Text
    Deus ex Machina
    • View Profile
If you do end up writing your theoretical work, could you post it? I would be fascinated in reading it.